Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a 981. Originally I was looking into the GTS but after further reviewing the options and price, I dont know that it gives me the value for the money I'd like to see. So, I'm speccing out a CS instead with the options I thiink I'd need. A link to that build is found here: http://www.porsche-code.com/PF1TYCH1

Given this will be our only car, my wife wants as many "safety" features as we can get into the car (which isnt many). I've tried to add the ones I thought would make a marked difference in the ability of the car to handle the PCNW weather of mostly damp for 9mos out of the year. I plan to possibly do some DE in the car but I will likely never track it. With that in mind, I'm looking for some advice on a couple of things:

1. Is PTV a track only feature in terms of usefullness? I've added it and PASM (because PASM is a requirement) because I thought I would get additional traction on slippery surfaces. Is this the case or am I wasting 3k here?
2. Is PTP really worth the price? We live in Seattle and parking spaces are always tight, seems like a no brainer but I'm wondering usefulness
3. I left off the Premium Package because of the premium for the seats, is PDLS a useful feature thats worth adding back into the vehicle?
4. While I like the look of the 20" Carerra S wheel set I worry about them getting rashed easier than the 19s and I've read the 19s ride better in daily driving. Any reason to buy/not but the 20s?

Any other thoughts around the build would be appreciated. If my wife had her choice we'd be getting a 997.2 C4S but I've loved the Cayman since my 987CS and would prefer to go this route. Given the choice though, and my scenario, is there a reason to go C4S vs 981? Thanks!

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
1. I think PTV will not help you with safety and more of a track/performance feature. Also I'd like to note that PASM is not a requirement or a preferable upgrade. Base suspension is very nice, sporty and comfy at the same time.

3. People generally like PDLS. It's useful if there are a lot of twisty roads were you leave. But then of course people Drove for 100+ years without it :)

4. I think 19" are better option, better looking (not too much space between calipers and rim), and safer if your roads are bad. But people actually say 20s ride is pretty good too.

As for C4S vs 981... You have to drive both and decide what you need and want. They are totally different cars. One is big and more of a family cruiser. Another is ultimate sports car, but still good for daily driver.

As for

·
Registered
851 Posts
One thing you might want to be aware of is there's no lighting for the vanity mirror. I think you only get that with the interior light package with the premium package.

For best traction, I'd go with the sport suspension.

The PDLS should be useful if you're running on unlighted twisty roads. The standard lights don't throw much light sideways and this was disconcerting driving on a mountain road through the forrest at night. You just have an inky black pool of nothingness to drive into around the really sharp bends.

PTP? Do you mean PSP (Power Steering Plus)? The standard steering feels very light at parking speeds to me, I can't see the point in making it even lighter.

I don't know what your distinction between DE and track is, DE is track in my lexicon.

There seems to be a glitch in the configurator, you code shows the car with Cayman S wheels, but Boxter wheels are listed. Personally I like the Cayman S wheels, they look good (and have fewer surfaces to wipe brake dust off of). In theory the 19" wheels should give a better ride, but I've never compared them to the 20's.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Also, the best advice I ever got from this forum was to go with the Sport Design steering wheel (you find it under leather), rather than the multifunction wheel when you have PDK. The Sport wheels comes with proper paddles, which make the PDK much better.

I quite like the auto dimming mirrors with rain sensors, its set so the wipers automatically come on whenever there's any rain. It doesn't happen often here, but I expect it would in your end of the world. It could be argued this is a safety feature. The dimming side mirrors are great so you don't get blinded by large trucks behind you. Similarly for a rear wiper, especially in WA.

I also like the seat ventilation. Even when its not hot here, the leather seats are kind of swety when I forget to turn it on, you have the prerequisite in the convenience package already.

A lot of people complain about the shininess of some of the trim reflecting sunlight (if you ever get any), one of the interior packages which reduce this might help. We have the brushed aluminum package, its looks great.

(I'd also do without the noise from the sports exhaust, but that's a personal choice.)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Think I agree with T Design on items 1 & 3. I'm also unsure what PTP is - if it's parking sensors, I'd not spec them but other cars I have owned have had them and to be honest they are quite useful.

As for the wheels, I did my test drive (about 4 hours) on 20" over mainly poor UK "Country" lanes. I found the ride to be acceptable on standard settings but I opted for the 19's mostly on the basis of cost.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I think the safety feature of PTV is the locking differential. Seems like an excellent safety feature for slippery roads or snow.

Also, the optional rear wiper on a Cayman could be considered a safety feature by some, especially in the PCNW.

1. I think PTV will not help you with safety and more of a track/performance feature. Also I'd like to note that PASM is not a requirement or a preferable upgrade. Base suspension is very nice, sporty and comfy at the same time.

3. People generally like PDLS. It's useful if there are a lot of twisty roads were you leave. But then of course people Drove for 100+ years without it :)

4. I think 19" are better option, better looking (not too much space between calipers and rim), and safer if your roads are bad. But people actually say 20s ride is pretty good too.

As for C4S vs 981... You have to drive both and decide what you need and want. They are totally different cars. One is big and more of a family cruiser. Another is ultimate sports car, but still good for daily driver.

As for

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Given the choice though, and my scenario, is there a reason to go C4S vs 981? Thanks!

As to safety, the LSD part of PTV is safety

PDLS+ can be construed as safety

However, since your primary concern is safety and the mention of wet 9 month of the year, the AWD in the C4S would be the best option.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice to this point. Bad typo on my part, PTP == PSP (Power Steering Plus). It sounds like I'd need to look more into the PDLS since that sounds useful. Especially here this time of year when it gets dark at 4PM and stays that way til 7AM. Throw in the rain and fog we have here and that sounds more useful than I was thinking it might be. I'll have to rethink the PTV since I still dont know if thats worth the 3k expense. Excellent advice on the rear wiper, I didnt even think about that and it would defintely help out here.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I think there is some misunderstanding on what it really gives you in bad weather/slippery conditions. From my extensive research for my new family SUV - according to the most articles I found AWD does not provide you better stopping power. Just better acceleration in slippery conditions.

However, since your primary concern is safety and the mention of wet 9 month of the year, the AWD in the C4S would be the best option.

Reactions: FinFerNan

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
As for power steering plus - it's the most useless option in 981. What do you think it'll give you, besides messing up excellent steering control of 981?

Here's my 1.5 y.o son steering my 981S without any PSP:

·
Registered
355 Posts
according to the most articles I found AWD does not provide you better stopping power. Just better acceleration in slippery conditions.
In fact, AWD/4WD provides a little WORSE stopping power in slippery conditions. That's why you see so many SUVs off the road at the first sign of snow. Drivers think, "I've got AWD/4WD... I'm invincible!" And while they can go in many more conditions a 2 wheel drive vehicle can, what most SUV drivers don't recognize is that they still only have 4 wheel brakes like virtually every other car on the road.

AND, that AWD/4WD system adds weight to the vehicle, so, compared to the same vehicle in 2WD, it will have more weight to stop and, in slippery conditions, take longer.

Also, the best advice I ever got from this forum was to go with the Sport Design steering wheel (you find it under leather), rather than the multifunction wheel when you have PDK. The Sport wheels comes with proper paddles, which make the PDK much better.
"Proper paddles" I keep seeing that term, but the fact is, the shifters on the multi-function wheel work just as well as the, er, proper ones. In fact, I might argue even better. If you're in a sharp turn and mix up which is the left paddle and which is the right, you could easily shift the wrong way. With the multi-function shifters, you pull back to down shift, push forward to upshift. No matter which one you're using, no matter which way the wheel is turned. In fact, using it with the Tiptronic, it's extremely intuitive.

The sport design does look much better; that's easy to say. But I'm a function over form guy and, after spending time withe the MF wheel in my wife's Cayenne, I'm seriously thinking about going that route when I order the Cayman (I am assuming that the MF shifters are connected and work just like the paddles, electronically). And having the heated wheel is pretty nice - something I never thought I'd like!

Of course, the best option is the MF Sport wheel from the 918/Macan/2015 Cayenne. I'm hoping for a mid-year add so I can order that!

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I think there is some misunderstanding on what it really gives you in bad weather/slippery conditions. From my extensive research for my new family SUV - according to the most articles I found AWD does not provide you better stopping power. Just better acceleration in slippery conditions.
I never said it was for braking. Obviously braking is limited to the tires.

And weight. Seriously? It was not a track car.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
IMO get GTS if you want to spend 85k. Better value and badge. Since you want a ton of options, you could consider finding a loaded lightly used S and save 20k+... options will add zero to car value, unless its major things like infotainment/sound system or bigger wheels.

1. PTV is a great safety/ handling feature... I don't care much about it initially, but now kinda regret not having it...it will help corner faster and increase stability, fixing a bit of RWD flaws. Many cars similar features standard for safety reasons.
2. Power steer plus is not needed. Only benefit is you can show your bud how fast you can trash the car on a sharp turn. Its similar to launch control... neat toy for show, but totally pointless and just adds automation to something you can do manually yourself.
3. I'd recommend the standard interior because its more durable, more care free, and less glossy than leather. That saves you a good bit of money too. Of course if it was free, I'd take it, but the cost a bit much imo. Everyone gets PDLS (headlight upgrade). Highly recommended.
4. IMO 20 inch Carerra S wheels look the best. Ride quality is a wash talking about 1 inch...would have more to do with your tire pressure. 20 inch wheels allow you to safely run with lower pressure. Don't see how a 20 inch wheel would get rashed more than a 19 inch...both should be no problem unless you do something like hit a curb or go through a horrible pothole at unreasonable speeds (probably damage your suspension at that point too)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
This car has 27" tall tires, so I would highly recommend 20" wheels. The Carrera wheel is a very practical weight at 25 pounds. That weight is just the reality of these sizes. In cheaper cars like an Audi wheels that size can be over 30 pounds. I observe no decrease in ride quality even at high pressures like 38 PSI.

PDLS is a safety feature, so I consider it a "must". If you want a partially autonomous vehicle that avoids accidents, consider the PAS. Cars that drive themselves aren't just Tesla and future models. It's about half way there right now, if you've got $2000 and curiosity for trying it.

I didn't think PTV+PASM was worth the upgrade. The base suspension is quite sporty. A low powered, mid engined car doesn't need a lot of electromechanical trickery to change direction. It just goes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't understand the negativity about PSP here. It all comes from people who don't have it or havn't tried it. It is a great option if you have to maneuver in tight spaces parking etc. The steering is exactly the same as standard over 25 mph and is seamless progressing to standard steering. I have it on my 15 CS and love it. I didn't have it on my 12 Cayman. I drove cars with and without it and preferred the PSP. One of the cheapest options out there. Champion and the other dealers order it on all their inventoried cars. All I'm saying is try it for yourself before you decide.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
IMO get GTS if you want to spend 85k. Better value and badge.
If all the GTS options added aren't the options he's looking for, then the value added is wasted. Keeping the options the OP selected and getting the GTS instead looks like it'll go from an 85K car to just north of a 91K car.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If all the GTS options added aren't the options he's looking for, then the value added is wasted. Keeping the options the OP selected and getting the GTS instead looks like it'll go from an 85K car to just north of a 91K car.
GTS will have higher resell value. A 85k is is going to sell for 55-60k in 1 year. Bet the 85k GTS would be 70k+. (hence I recommend looking at a loaded used S)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again for all the responses, I appreciate the feedback immensely. I'd considered the GTS but I think it's overkill for what I'm looking for and it does tend to price 5-6k over a comparably equipped CS. As I've done more research and looked, I think I've found a pretty nice CPO'd 2014 CS which has many of the features above, minus the PASM, PTV and PAS. I think I'd like PAS if buying new, PASM+PTV still sound more track oriented than commuter oriented. Given that, I can save ~20K buying a CPO with Infotainment, Premium, Park Assist, PDK as well as get the CPO. Thats a big plus IMO, I'd just need to figure out if a PPI is worth it on a one year old vehicle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Like your wife, I was focused on comfort & safety. Maybe it's a woman thing. Anyway, you won't be able to get the reversing camera on the 2014. It is a big help when backing out of a diagonal parking space when that big SUV is parked on your left, not to mention you are less likely to back over someone or into something. The park assist it also useful for gauging where the nose of the car is when you are entering tight spaces. Highly recommend the PDLS, not only for windy roads, but for all the deer. The multifunction steering wheel is a bit of a safety feature, as you don't have to take your eyes off the road as much to change some setting. Auto dimming side view mirrors are great. I also got adaptive cruise control for safety, but haven't used it yet. For comfort, the many ways adjustable seats are super comfortable. Also, the memory function that puts the seat back & the steering wheel forward when you enter or leave the car is really nice. I think your wife will really like the heated steering wheel. I sure do. The standard suspension is plenty comfy. I initially planned on getting the rear wiper, which I love on my station wagon; however, the wiper on the Cayman detracts from the appearance too much. I drove my CS in the rain for the first time a few days ago & didn't miss the wiper at all. I think the different angle of the glass than on the wagon may have something to do with it. Re. wheels, I just stuck with the stock 19"ers. I'd already spent enough money & need to save some for my next Subaru wagon.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I never said it was for braking. Obviously braking is limited to the tires.

And weight. Seriously? It was not a track car.
What's not serious about weight? Extra weight is bad all around. Fuel economy, stopping, handling... If the car is not inteded for winter racing - I don't see any pros of AWD...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts