Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi P9,

I am new to this forum, but I've been a Cayman owner for about half a year now. The princess is sitting in the garage this winter, however I'm looking to take her out for the next winter. That means over the course of the upcoming spring and summer, I need to look at upgrading my wheels and tires to use as a daily driver.

2010 Porsche Cayman S currently running stock wheel and tires, 18" and I think the tires are some Bridgestone's summer tires, not sure. Since my Cayman is white, I wanted the black wheels with an orange highlight to show some contrast, much like the 2013 TechArt Cayman wheels.

My questions are, what is the best looking finish to contrast Carrera White? I don't want it to look too glossy and I don't really know my wheel finishes well.
  • Satin
  • Matte
  • Painted?
  • Something else?

Next, what are some recommended brands that would be around $500/$600 per wheel? Can I get something decent for wheels + tires for under $2,500?

Last, what is the difference between all season vs. all weather vs. winter?

Many thanks,

·
Registered
258 Posts
Last question first. All season or all weather (pretty much the same) can be driven in the winter, but won't have nearly the traction that a true winter/snow tire will. I don't consider these an option frankly. Summer tires, on the other hand, will have great grip when warm or in the rain, but aren't suitable when the temp gets below 40F. If you really want a year round machine, there's pretty much one option: two sets of wheels.

My advice is take your old set of 18s and get yourself a real set of snow tires... plenty of posts here discussing specifics, but there are several good options in the 18" size. Bridgestone Blizzak, Dunlop Wintersport, etc.
Then, buy yourself a new set of 19" rims (black) and Michelin Pilot Super Sports (excellent summer tires) for the warmer months.

·
Registered
810 Posts
OZ, Forgestar, and Apex all make affordable and good-looking wheels for our cars for around $300-400/wheel. (Apex is a sponsor here, and doing a group buy if you're interested, there's a thread about it in the wheel/tire forum.)

"All-season" tires are a heavily compromised tire that suck in both the summer and winter. For a high-performance car like this, you really do want to put on good sticky summer tires in the summer and high-performance snow tires for the winter. Do be aware that summer tires are suicidally dangerous if there is so much as a dusting of snow! There are some difference in construction, but the biggest difference between snow, all-season, and summer tires is siping: those tiny little blocks that help tires grip in the snow, but are squishy and performance killing on dry pavement. Snow tires have the most siping, all-seasons less, and summer tires have none. The high performance summer tires have really wide tread blocks that help give extra grip.

Snow tire:

Summer tire:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts