Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking for a used CS. I have a few questions and would appreciate feedback.

1. Is there a noticeable difference in performance between the Gen I and Gen II? I would appreciate comments from someone who has driven or owned both.

2. I have been researching on this forum and it seems inconclusive whether PASM is a must have. I think that I should concentrate on just looking for a good example at the right price and not worry about PASM.

3. Are there any reliability issues that were addressed in the Gen II CS?

4. Any comments on the Sport Chrono and Sport Exhausts would be appreciated. I wanted to see if I should look for an example with these options.

Thanks.

·
Registered
607 Posts
There is a slight increase in power that you will notice, but not by a whole lot. I think where the Gen II really shines is in the PDK transmission and new Navigation system. Depends if those options interest you.

I would def go with PASM, I never had it on my old Gen I CS and regretted it once I tried a car that had it. I would try and find a car with Sport Chrono, especially if your looking for a Tiptronic car. It shouldn't be hard to find a ca that has it. Regarding the sport exhaust, mainly just for noise and no power boost at all. Save your money on that one and upgrade the exhaust yourself later if you decide you need one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2006 S that is loaded out and was what is called a launch vehical. I have 25000 miles on the car and have loved every day I have owned this car. I do think you need PASM for driver comfort as well as that extra you will get if you take it to a track. The only item I feel is not needed on a Gen 1 car is the on board GPS system, I would simply get a good hand held or portable GPS system and not look back.

As far as difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2, I have driven the new car twice, I simply do not think there is enough difference to pay the extra for the newer car. I know there will be other opinions that differ but in my opinion I do not feel there is that much difference. I will admit that the new paddle shift auto now on the new cars is a really nice option and would be nice but the manual 6 speed is perfect in just about every way. I have to admit, I never buy new cars, prefer to allow someone else take the first hit and a well taken care of used Cayman is my preference. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I am not really interested in teh PDK. What would the Sport Chrono buy me if I went with the 6spd manual?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2006 S that is loaded out and was what is called a launch vehical. I have 25000 miles on the car and have loved every day I have owned this car. I do think you need PASM for driver comfort as well as that extra you will get if you take it to a track. The only item I feel is not needed on a Gen 1 car is the on board GPS system, I would simply get a good hand held or portable GPS system and not look back.

As far as difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2, I have driven the new car twice, I simply do not think there is enough difference to pay the extra for the newer car. I know there will be other opinions that differ but in my opinion I do not feel there is that much difference. I will admit that the new paddle shift auto now on the new cars is a really nice option and would be nice but the manual 6 speed is perfect in just about every way. I have to admit, I never buy new cars, prefer to allow someone else take the first hit and a well taken care of used Cayman is my preference. Hope this helps.
Thank you.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Welcome to the board. I'm a gen II owner who looked at both cars extensively before I chose. Let me take a stab:

I am currently looking for a used CS. I have a few questions and would appreciate feedback.

1. Is there a noticeable difference in performance between the Gen I and Gen II? I would appreciate comments from someone who has driven or owned both.
For me, there was. The first time I drive a gen II car, I really wanted one. This after I had convinced myself that I wouldn't consider one. Many gen I owners will say that with a few quick mods, you can equal or surpass the power of a gen II car and they are correct. The downside is good luck getting warranty if your engine blows. I wanted a drive train I could leave alone and track as-is.

2. I have been researching on this forum and it seems inconclusive whether PASM is a must have. I think that I should concentrate on just looking for a good example at the right price and not worry about PASM.
It depends on what you're used to ride-quality wise and what you plan to do with the car. If you are strictly a street driver and find the car a little firm for your liking, definitely opt for a PASM car. It is a little softer and the ride quality a little better. It also gives you a firmer suspension if you like it for the twisties. If you are a track guy, my opinion is go standard suspension (as I did). So far I've found it pretty impressive on the track and when the time comes to upgrade to a set of coilovers, I won't have 4 very expensive paperweights in the garage. Best advice is to drive both and consider what will work for you.

3. Are there any reliability issues that were addressed in the Gen II CS?
Yes. The rear main shaft (RMS) and intermediate shaft (IMS) leakages and failures were completely fixed in the DFI motor. So far, two other significant problems were also addressed in the DFI cars: oil starvation in high G situations (tracking) and power steering line/pump failures due to heat (also tracking related). The feedback on these fixes comes from the Cayman Interseries Challenge cars which have "performed without a hiccup...for 30K aggregate track miles". If you don't track your car, these things are much less significant though.

You may also come across a thread discussing the DFI motors and carbon buildup. AFAIK, there has not been one reported case in a gen 2 Cayman or Boxster to date. Personally, I think it is unreasonable panic but it is something to consider.

4. Any comments on the Sport Chrono and Sport Exhausts would be appreciated. I wanted to see if I should look for an example with these options.
Many say sport chrono is a must. I personally do not. Again, if you track (see a pattern here?) SC gives you higher thresholds before PSM (stability control) kicks in. It also gives you sharper throttle mapping. It also gives you a big wart on the dash. The first two functions can be duplicated in the aftermarket (Softronic Flash) if you find the right car without it. Sport Exhaust is a really nice option. It gives you quiet when you want it and throaty when you want it at the press of a button. What it doesn't give is any performance increase. If you're looking for that, aftermarket exhaust is the way to go.

If you have any other questions, post up. Best of luck to you.

Thanks.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just bought a 2007 Cayman S with standard suspension, 19" wheels, sport exhaust and Sports Chrono. Driven the Gen I 2.7 and 3.4 and the 2.9 Gen II. The Gen I 3.4 is strongest of the three, followed by the 2.9 and the 2.7. No surprise. Noticeable difference between all. Ride on the Gen II is slightly better than Gen I from my drives, but I think a Gen II with 19" wheels will probably ride worse than a Gen I with 18". My car with standard suspension on 19s IS pretty stiff.

Never drove a Cayman with it, but would be a welcome addition on bad roads.

Inside the car, I did not notice much change in exhaust note, but I JUST got the car and have not played with this much. I have heard the sound is changed only at certain speeds, so need to play with it more. It is activated when the Sport Chrono is activated. The change in throttle response IS noticeable and the car feels more powerful and responsive. I flip it on sometimes for fun, but around town, a bit much. The chrono device is neat, but not sure how I will use it, if at all. These two options would not be must-haves for me, but I will not be visiting a track. PASM, Sports Chrono, Sport Exhaust are all neat, but for me, none were mandatory. Your needs and wants may vary.

- Phil

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the board. I'm a gen II owner who looked at both cars extensively before I chose. Let me take a stab:

For me, there was. The first time I drive a gen II car, I really wanted one. This after I had convinced myself that I wouldn't consider one. Many gen I owners will say that with a few quick mods, you can equal or surpass the power of a gen II car and they are correct. The downside is good luck getting warranty if your engine blows. I wanted a drive train I could leave alone and track as-is.

It depends on what you're used to ride-quality wise and what you plan to do with the car. If you are strictly a street driver and find the car a little firm for your liking, definitely opt for a PASM car. It is a little softer and the ride quality a little better. It also gives you a firmer suspension if you like it for the twisties. If you are a track guy, my opinion is go standard suspension (as I did). So far I've found it pretty impressive on the track and when the time comes to upgrade to a set of coilovers, I won't have 4 very expensive paperweights in the garage. Best advice is to drive both and consider what will work for you.

Yes. The rear main shaft (RMS) and intermediate shaft (IMS) leakages and failures were completely fixed in the DFI motor. So far, two other significant problems were also addressed in the DFI cars: oil starvation in high G situations (tracking) and power steering line/pump failures due to heat (also tracking related). The feedback on these fixes comes from the Cayman Interseries Challenge cars which have "performed without a hiccup...for 30K aggregate track miles". If you don't track your car, these things are much less significant though.

You may also come across a thread discussing the DFI motors and carbon buildup. AFAIK, there has not been one reported case in a gen 2 Cayman or Boxster to date. Personally, I think it is unreasonable panic but it is something to consider.

Many say sport chrono is a must. I personally do not. Again, if you track (see a pattern here?) SC gives you higher thresholds before PSM (stability control) kicks in. It also gives you sharper throttle mapping. It also gives you a big wart on the dash. The first two functions can be duplicated in the aftermarket (Softronic Flash) if you find the right car without it. Sport Exhaust is a really nice option. It gives you quiet when you want it and throaty when you want it at the press of a button. What it doesn't give is any performance increase. If you're looking for that, aftermarket exhaust is the way to go.

If you have any other questions, post up. Best of luck to you.

Thanks.

Thank you for the detail feedback. I thought that the RMS and IMS issues were with the pre 2005 engines on the Boxster. Apparently, from what you said, they are still issues with the Gen I car. Although, I don't intend to track my car more than once or twice a year, this would be a worry that might push me to spend the extra money for a used Gen II car. I have owned a couple of M3s and S4s with 19" wheels (with some luck will be a first time Porsche owner) and I am used to harsh rides. Thus, from what you said, PASM is not a must. My M3 has the "Sport" button and it's somewhat tough to drive smoothly around town with the sport mode engaged. Therefore, SC is not a must also.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
. . . Yes. The rear main shaft (RMS) and intermediate shaft (IMS) leakages and failures were completely fixed in the DFI motor. . .
Thank you for the detail feedback. I thought that the RMS and IMS issues were with the pre 2005 engines on the Boxster. Apparently, from what you said, they are still issues with the Gen I car. . .
I think that what ChrisF meant was that the new DFI motors pretty much eliminate the potential for RMS and IMS problems. I believe RMS and IMS problems in the Gen I Caymans have been very rare (unlike the pre-2005 986s as you note).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that what ChrisF meant was that the new DFI motors pretty much eliminate the potential for RMS and IMS problems. I believe RMS and IMS problems in the Gen I Caymans have been very rare (unlike the pre-2005 986s as you note).
Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts