Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Looking to join the Porsche family and have my eyes set on two GTS, (one in MA the other is PA) and wanted to get some advice.

I've purchased many a car but this would be my first Porsche. Both are under warranty but only one is certified.

Can one buy an extended warranty and maintenance package like at BMW?

I'm not a mechanic so should I pay for a pre purchase inspection for the car?

Both are 6 speed so what should I look for from a clutch perspective? I'm guessing if the clutch goes bad, it's very expensive.

Any expensive items I should try to negotiate if I find anything or worth while?

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Rippey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Not a lot to go on with your questions because the origin of the cars is not stated, but I would guess that the certified one is at a dealership and the one under warranty but not certified is not? In the US I think that an extended warranty is only available from aftermarket sources, the certified car has a warranty extension that only a Porsche dealer can offer on a used car that they have inspected and 'certified' while still under factory warranty. Considering that you have asked the question about extended warranty I would think that the certified car would be of greater interest to you. As for inspection, again assuming that the car under warranty is not at a Porsche dealer, yes have it inspected by Porsche or a good(known) indie, and again assuming the certified car is at a dealer, all should be good there.

MT, my favorite transmission, no the clutch is not that bad, parts are reasonable and because of the mid-engine design, access to the clutch is good.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you westcoaster

One car is at a Porsche Dealer the other is at a high end car dealership.

Both cars are about 20k and spec'd very similarly (of course).

I have a mechanic that works on all of my used cars (my BMW I purchased new) and he will likely do more basic maintenance. Likely bring him along to look at each car.

With any expensive car, I want to understand what is covered under warranty as I would have either 30k or 80k of warranty left.

Doesn't sound like paying for a maintenance package makes sense (only Porsche dealer would sell that).

Rippey

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
All I would add to what Westcoaster has said is that I would ensure your indie has experience with Porsches if you plan to use them for service. A mid or rear engine car is a very different experience from a repair/maintenance standpoint.

I don't think you're going to find the expense side of things much different than your BMW experience.

You're going to love the MT GTS! It's truly awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think you'd get more input if you listed the specifics of each car your potentially looking at. If you posted links to each car members here could comment more precisely based on how each car is equipped.

Also, you just stated you were looking for a 981 GTS - Boxster or Cayman. If your looking for a MT 981 CGTS Porsche of Monmouth has 2 cars listed on thief website and their both CPO cars so your covered for 6 years or 100k miles from the " in service date ". If MT is not a requirement I know Jack Daniels Porsche just took in a 2016 CGTS with only 700 miles but it's a PDK car.

Google " Porsche Pre Owned Car Locator " and you'll get a better feel for what's out their regarding pricing etc.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely looking for a Boxster GTS, Looking at the few that are in the $60K range (as there are a few nationally). I rather 6MT but I'd take a PDK. I am not being too picky on color and the GTS already has the options I'd want.

I've looked at the Porsche Locator on their site and reached out to those dealerships. As I have a trade, some financial gymnastics will have to take place (not that I am worried, I have a lot of equity in my current car).

RIght now just waiting on the numbers so hopefully something can work out. I did find a car in PA but not certified but still under regular warranty. Happens to be the cheapest too.

Rippey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thank you westcoaster

One car is at a Porsche Dealer the other is at a high end car dealership.

Both cars are about 20k and spec'd very similarly (of course).

I have a mechanic that works on all of my used cars (my BMW I purchased new) and he will likely do more basic maintenance. Likely bring him along to look at each car.

With any expensive car, I want to understand what is covered under warranty as I would have either 30k or 80k of warranty left.

Doesn't sound like paying for a maintenance package makes sense (only Porsche dealer would sell that).

Rippey

You have already gotten some stellar advice. I just want to stress the absolute necessity of having any Porsche not purchased from a regular dealership checked for overrevs. If there are some of a certain severity, even the factory warranty on the engine won't be honored. I also looked into an extended warranty and deemed it not worth the cost. Good luck, and have fun with the process.

·
Registered
437 Posts
You have already gotten some stellar advice. I just want to stress the absolute necessity of having any Porsche not purchased from a regular dealership checked for overrevs. If there are some of a certain severity, even the factory warranty on the engine won't be honored. I also looked into an extended warranty and deemed it not worth the cost. Good luck, and have fun with the process.

I can tell you from personal experience that the factory warranty will still be honored with over-revs into range 3.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Rippey, any progress?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I found 4 in the country and one just fell off the list. He didnt want to come down on the price and wanted to short change me on the trade so I said, no thanks.

Working with the other three (as the prices are about the same). Also put in a feeler for two different 718 base models. Cost less but not a 981 GTS which is what I really want.

Working the emails, trying to make it happen. It's funny how these dealers think I am actually going to pay the price on the sticker with no discount. Wholesale is $50K they ask over $65K and want to drop $1k, they crazy......

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can tell you from personal experience that the factory warranty will still be honored with over-revs into range 3.
Can you please explain? I understand what over-revving is and I am guessing this is no bueno. There is one not at a dealer so I'd have to take it somewhere to check this before anything correct?

Rippey

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, That's the limit, though. Don't ask me how I know.
I wont ask how you know but can you explain this over-revving piece? Is it the number of times you bang into the redline or is it something else?

Rippey

·
Registered
569 Posts
Can you please explain? I understand what over-revving is and I am guessing this is no bueno. There is one not at a dealer so I'd have to take it somewhere to check this before anything correct?

Rippey

I certainly would. Personally, I think the whole business is preposterous, but Porsche won't CPO or honor the warranty for engine failure if there are overrevs in levels 4-6, even if they lasted only a split second. The dealers also say they won't retail your car if it has such overrevs and is still under warranty because they would be selling a car whose engine warranty is ostensibly voided. You can read up on this if you want, but be advised that the ranges are different among cars based on redline rpm. Typically simply bouncing off the rev limiter a few times is no problem. The higher levels come from missing a downshift at speed. I read about this so much my head nearly exploded. My advice is simply get a dme check, and if there is nothing beyond level 3, you are good to go. I didn't mean to worry you, and chances are the car will not have any serious ones at all if it hasn't been tracked, but I thought you should know, just in case. Please keep us posted on how things go.

·
Registered
897 Posts
So I found 4 in the country and one just fell off the list. He didnt want to come down on the price and wanted to short change me on the trade so I said, no thanks.

Working with the other three (as the prices are about the same). Also put in a feeler for two different 718 base models. Cost less but not a 981 GTS which is what I really want.

Working the emails, trying to make it happen. It's funny how these dealers think I am actually going to pay the price on the sticker with no discount. Wholesale is $50K they ask over $65K and want to drop $1k, they crazy......

I just did a search and there's really not that many BGTS's for sale out there with a manual trans so that's part of the reason their holding the price.

I looked for a while for my car ( CGTS with a manual ) and my experience is that when you find the one you want you have to pull the trigger quick. The first car I looked at was spec'ed very nicely and the price was reasonable, I told the salesman I'd sleep on it. I saw the car at 2 PM, called him at 10 AM the next day and it was sold.

Stick to your guns and hunt down the BGTS 6 speed you want - you won't be disappointed. Like others have said " the hunt is part of the fun and part of the story of YOUR car..

·
Registered
561 Posts
Also put in a feeler for two different 718 base models. Cost less but not a 981 GTS which is what I really want.
If that's what you want, have patience, it will be worth the wait.

Dealers don't budge if they don't have to, 981 GTS are quite possibly the last NA flat six GTS mid-engine pcars. The flat six song is legendary, and with the GTS sound symposer / sport exhaust, it's simply awesome. Turbos don't have it, especially 4 cylinder 718s. I'll buy another Porsche someday, but will be keeping my BGTS, ordered to my specs. PS ... PDK is faster and cannot overrev. Pics of mine here:

2015 Porsche GTS

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
John OKC, you ride is sweet.....

Rippey

Reactions: John OKC

·
Registered
5,504 Posts

Regarding the price, you may find that the inventory of clean 981 GTS cars may be in short supply and because of the demand you may not have a lot of leverage, especially of you find the exact car you want. In the new car market down in the US discounts are common, for the most part up here in Canada when buying new the sticker price is just that, the one you pay to take it out the door. The last 3 new Porsches I have bought were all full retail. :(

Oh and for your desire to have a BGTS 6MT, I think that it is a great choice, but then again I am a bit biased! :)

Attachments

Reactions: mrrippey

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to update everyone on my progress:

I am a few grand away from one BGTS 6MT but it is not certified :(
I am still negotiating on two others (one PDK, one 6MT) but there are both certified. I think both can be had with some clever negotiating
If I want a 718 Boxster 6MT, I have that deal pretty much in place. Actually have two of them in place, similar specs just different colors.

I'm still hitting the phones to see what can happen.....feeling pretty good. I'm kinda now leaning towards getting the PDK.

Now call me crazy but I have not even driven ANY Porsche. I guess the closest car I have driven performance wise is the M2 (Driver Day) and the new Stingray (on a track no less). If the BGTS is anything like those, I am sure I will be happy. Only one of them I would not be able to drive beforehand as it is over 1000 miles away, the other two I can get to.

Rippey

Rippey

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
If you don't have to deal with traffic jams - 981 MT is the sweetest thing in the world!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.