Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been a lurker for awhile!! Been a Porsche fan my whole life, had the GT2 poster splattered on my bed room wall for years!

I am looking at a 08 Cayman S with Sport Chrono and Pasm, 6 speed. The car is CPO'd but has 100000km on it.

Do you guys have any suggestions on any issues that might arise when the car is already in that range? I've yet to see the car in person, but in the photos it looks well maintained. Anything I should look for in the service history to see whats been done?

All help is appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi all,

I've been a lurker for awhile!! Been a Porsche fan my whole life, had the GT2 poster splattered on my bed room wall for years!

I am looking at a 08 Cayman S with Sport Chrono and Pasm, 6 speed. The car is CPO'd but has 100000km on it.

Do you guys have any suggestions on any issues that might arise when the car is already in that range? I've yet to see the car in person, but in the photos it looks well maintained. Anything I should look for in the service history to see whats been done?

All help is appreciated! Thank you!
I would try to find a 2009 or later model. That way you will not need to worry about the infamous IMS bearing failure. I drove a 2008 Boxster base 80K plus miles with the only failure being the Air Oil Separator (AOS).

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would try to find a 2009 or later model. That way you will not need to worry about the infamous IMS bearing failure.
We as a community need to stop repeating this line.

The # of recorded IMS failures of the 987 body are extremely few and far between, and on the web that anxiety is blown out of proportion to a ludicrous level. That remote probability of IMS failure on the 987 is akin to just about any catastrophic failure that any [insert car brand here] can experience. By fixating on this probability it's almost as if we're deliberately trying to drive down the resale of the 987 so we can buy them at discounts and laugh at everyone that took the IMS bait hook line and sinker.

Apologies ahead of time to OldandSlow. My above message is not intended to be a personal attack. This is definitely a widespread misconception.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Is it a Canadian car or was it brought up from the States? Any idea how many owners?

·
Registered
13 Posts
We as a community need to stop repeating this line. (snipped) This is definitely a widespread misconception.
Thank you and others for posting this. I've owned my 2007 CS for less than a month but here these types of common sense reports eased my mind a bit about buying this car. Obviously a PPI is the way to go for some assurance the car is sound; no guarantee but does buy some peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I would recommend you ask for a boroscope inspection as part of your PPI to check for any bore scoring. Like the IMS issues, the web has blown this out of proportion, but it cannot be ignored and is very costly to rectify if it occurs.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
For a 6-speed, then the importance of having 2009+ cars is lower.

To me, the biggest difference practically speaking between 987.1 and 987.2 cars really just boils down to the transmission (PDK vs Tiptronic) if one's shopping for an auto. Of course cosmetics and having DFI engine are nicer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
For a 6-speed, then the importance of having 2009+ cars is lower.

To me, the biggest difference practically speaking between 987.1 and 987.2 cars really just boils down to the transmission (PDK vs Tiptronic) if one's shopping for an auto. Of course cosmetics and having DFI engine are nicer.
is the 2.9L 987.2 also DFI?

·
Registered
58 Posts
So much IMS nonsense gets repeated time after time...

Reactions: 28989

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
It does, however it is Indisputable that the 9A1 engine, found in the 2009 and later Boxsters and Caymans , is a much superior engine, in terms of durability, in comparison to the M96 and M97 engine. And that is just a fact.

Cheers
I'd grant you "much superior" to the M96, but the OP is looking for a Cayman so he'd only be looking at M97s. These engines have some issues, but there are also LOTS of 987.1s showing up in the classifieds with 80-110K mi. How did that happen if they have such horribly unreliable engines?

Something else to consider...
How do we know the 9A1 is so rock solid reliable? There are 10X fewer 987.2s out there than 987.1s. That's quite a bit smaller sample size, esp considering we're talking about niche markets. How many 9A1s are garage queens, knocking the sample size down even more? Plus many of them are still under warranty, so someone with an issue may just take it to the dealer and gets if fixed for free.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We as a community need to stop repeating this line.

The # of recorded IMS failures of the 987 body are extremely few and far between, and on the web that anxiety is blown out of proportion to a ludicrous level. That remote probability of IMS failure on the 987 is akin to just about any catastrophic failure that any [insert car brand here] can experience. By fixating on this probability it's almost as if we're deliberately trying to drive down the resale of the 987 so we can buy them at discounts and laugh at everyone that took the IMS bait hook line and sinker.

Apologies ahead of time to OldandSlow. My above message is not intended to be a personal attack. This is definitely a widespread misconception.
Thanks for this.

I'm new to Porsche, having recently purchased a very low mileage 2007 Boxster S, 6MT (only 15k miles at time of purchase!), which I was absolutely loving until I came online and started reading all these IMS stories.

I keep seeing conflicting things, like basically don't worry about it on 2006-2008MY, but then on the other hand keep seeing advice to people like this to avoid the 987.1s altogether. So... it makes one wonder, which is it? It seems the answer is basically enjoy the car, do routine maintenance, and don't worry. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for this.

I'm new to Porsche, having recently purchased a very low mileage 2007 Boxster S, 6MT (only 15k miles at time of purchase!), which I was absolutely loving until I came online and started reading all these IMS stories.

I keep seeing conflicting things, like basically don't worry about it on 2006-2008MY, but then on the other hand keep seeing advice to people like this to avoid the 987.1s altogether. So... it makes one wonder, which is it? It seems the answer is basically enjoy the car, do routine maintenance, and don't worry. :)
The '07 Boxter has the same IMS bearing as the 06-08 Cayman (987.1), so we're all in the same boat. I believe the 2005 Boxter was a hit-or-miss with the upgraded bearing.

Anyway, the number of reported failures (almost non-existent) speak volumes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've owned both a 987.1 and 987.2

I didn't have have a single issue with the 2007 and my 2010 has been flawless. IMS issues are real, just rare. Chances are nothing will go wrong, but tell that to the poor guy who draws the short stick and has his engine crater. It really depends on your comfort level with risk.

There are a number of great enhancements found in the 987.2 cars which is why the .2 cars go for a premium over the .1 cars. IMO the interior was a pretty big upgrade, the engine feels stronger, though that could be attributed to my .2 having PDK.

All that said, if you are comfortable with a little risk, the .1 cars might be the best value in sports cars right now. As far as the miles go, it's CPO so you know it's up to date with all it maintenance. Just keep in mind that if you decide you want to sell the car in a few year, it's going be be pretty tough to sell a car with that high of miles.

Oh, and you'll love PASM. My first cayman didn't have it, my current one does. I'm not sure I could go back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, the M97 rumors are overblown, but "get your oil analyzed, cut open your oil filters and inspect them" is still being spoken.
Owned a 996 4S, same IMS scare tactics on those forums. Here is a fact, the higher mileage engines don't have the failure problem. I'd assume it applies to the 986 and 987.1 cars. There is the DOF option if you want to sleep peacefully at night.

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S PDK
39 Posts
The prices are very different for the '09 and new cars.
Couple months ago you could have bought an '06 S for around $20k.
Now the '09 and newer S are $35k and up.
Can we even compare the two? $15k difference makes for 2 different buyers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
With that large of a price difference, it makes a case to buy the '06 and put $15k into modifications. For the same $35k spent you could have a better car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts