Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm anal. I'll admit it. I like the center caps aligned with the valve stems. :crazy: But my center caps want to rotate as I drive. Does anyone have a fix?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
have you tried putting a bit of tape/masking tape around the "clamp" portion of the centre caps?
i find that giving them a bit of thickness gives the caps of most cars a better fit.

simple and takes only a few mins.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Good suggestions, but you might want to think of this as an opportunity for self-therapy and just go drive.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Good suggestions, but you might want to think of this as an opportunity for self-therapy and just go drive.

Absolutely not! We WILL have crest pointing to the valve stem!

I don't even think it is anal. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I do drive it. That's how the center cap gets out of line. ;) Besides, detailing the car is my therapy. :eek:
Agree: when I have bigger problems than my anal tendencies, it's nice to have something to go perfecto-mode on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This has been bugging me for the past year on my Boxster. I align the caps after every car wash, but they get mis-aligned fairly quickly. Such a simple fix, I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for creating the thread!

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Just a note on using the silicone RTV to build up and add a little grip. Let it dry before putting the cap back on. The stuff makes pretty good glue too. Might be a headache the next time you get tires.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If this were a true enthusiast forum, like an audiophile forum, somebody would be claiming that they can feel the loose caps compromise their handling at the limits.

·
Registered
374 Posts
How else are we supposed to find the valve stem?
Well, you could put a little dot of neon orange spray paint on the valve step, but that would totally screw up your wheel balance and alignment and unsprung weight, so I guess you're right. I was going to go hit the twisties, but I'll fiddle with my caps for a while instead.

It's kind of funny... this is pretty amusing, but I just realized I totally rate electricians and painters on whether they make the slots in the [screws of the] switch/outlet cover plates line up vertically. Not really a whole lot of difference.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
This is something I never thought of until now. So naturally I went out to check mine and after almost 8000 miles all of them are pointed at the valve stems except one which I adjusted. This will be something new for me to keep track of.

·
Registered
196 Posts
This is something I never thought of until now. So naturally I went out to check mine and after almost 8000 miles all of them are pointed at the valve stems except one which I adjusted. This will be something new for me to keep track of.
Haha, I did the same, checked mine the other day after reading this thread and all crests were pointing at the valve stems. I know I didn't do it and I had the wheels off last year to clean and wax the rims. I did have it at the dealer two weeks ago for a brake fluid. flush, they must have done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use large, chrome, Phillips-head screws to attach my license plate. All four screws must be pointed the same way (+). :crazy:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Centerlocks would drive you guys batty. The caps fit into the centerlock nuts, and have tabs that line up with corresponding indentations that let you slip a thin slotted screwdriver into to pry off the cap (there is also a "special" tool available). When the locking nut is torqued down, the crest points where it points: there is no way to adjust it. Personally, I have come to appreciate the exquisitely engineered randomness of it all.

·
Premium Member
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Centerlocks would drive you guys batty. The caps fit into the centerlock nuts, and have tabs that line up with corresponding indentations that let you slip a thin slotted screwdriver into to pry off the cap (there is also a "special" tool available). When the locking nut is torqued down, the crest points where it points: there is no way to adjust it. Personally, I have come to appreciate the exquisitely engineered randomness of it all.
Yep, that would drive me nuts. :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Suncoast sells valve stem caps with the Porsche logo on them. They are large and easy to spot. I use them. The center caps themselves are made of a flimsy plastic and you can buy a tool (looks like a bent hanger) to pry them off, align them carefully and snap them back in place. I suspect they will loosen up with time, especially if you break one of the tabs.
Gluing them in place is a good idea.
The things we put up with, with these cars. Sigh!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts