Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really weird. In April of 2104 I lost the seat memory function in my 981S. Dealer reset it and it's been fine since. This morning I got into the car and pressed my seat memory #1, where I have my settings stored, and nothing happened. I tried resetting by pressing the Set button, but the light never came on and nothing happened. Memory #2 is also gone, as is the comfort exit function. Everything is checked under the memory functions in the Vehicle settings menu.

So, almost two years to the day, once again the car mysteriously lost its seat memory function. I'm already scheduled for my annual service on 5/3, so I just called and added this to the list. I'm also going to try their Paintless Dent Removal service to get out a self-inflicted ding on the top of the door.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
My seat memory isn't working right either. What caused your original problem?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never told me what was wrong. Just listed as a computer reset on the work sheet. This time around I'll ask for a real explanation.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Had the same happen to mine last November, no memory, no response, no reset light, no nothing.
Read somewhere in one of our threads to fully retract seat from front to back & then front to back again to full stop distance. Upon doing so, everything returned to normal, reset light & total memory. Both worked & no issues.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
The car is trying to tell you something. It only wants you to drive it. :)

Reactions: KCZ

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had the same happen to mine last November, no memory, no response, no reset light, no nothing.
Read somewhere in one of our threads to fully retract seat from front to back & then front to back again to full stop distance. Upon doing so, everything returned to normal, reset light & total memory. Both worked & no issues.
I never heard of this, but will try it today and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car is trying to tell you something. It only wants you to drive it. :)
I, on the other hand, would love for my wife to get in more driving time. She hates driving a manual transmission but, when I first ordered the car, she insisted I get the manual rather than the PDK because that's what I enjoyed most. So .... I did, and now she drives the car about once a year. Sometimes, you lose by winning.

Reactions: Anand

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I, on the other hand, would love for my wife to get in more driving time. She hates driving a manual transmission but, when I first ordered the car, she insisted I get the manual rather than the PDK because that's what I enjoyed most. So .... I did, and now she drives the car about once a year. Sometimes, you lose by winning.
You are considerate. Good man. My better half was completely indifferent to my Boxster purchase and hasn't driven it even once. And she grew up driving a stick in one of the worst places imaginable to drive a manual. Maybe she is scarred for life.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There is only one seat reserved for SWMBO (she who must be obeyed). I have always ordered only the Sport Plus seat option for a reason in my 986S, 987S & 981S. Less electronics, the less to go wrong, not to mention the weight loss. No folding mirrors etc.

I'll bet those that ordered theses electronic goodies would have also ordered the supple leather option (ugg!) had it been available.

When I had my 993 turbo with hardback sport seats, I couldn't believe how many of my American friends opted for the 'Cadillac' style supple leather option on their 993's.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got a call from the dealer. No blown fuses, no error codes. But, neither seat module was working when they tested them so they are replacing both modules. They think that's the source of the problem. I did not try to reset the seat memory myself, since the dealer said to leave it alone so they could see it in a non-working condition.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Electronics in German cars! I fear them based on really bad experiences with two Audis and a BMW. I hope not to go down the same road with my Boxster.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Just a WAG, but I believe the seat memory is set based on the key. Perhaps you set the memory for one key only and are trying it with the other key that was never set. If you haven't yet tried the "other" key, I'd try that.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a WAG, but I believe the seat memory is set based on the key. Perhaps you set the memory for one key only and are trying it with the other key that was never set. If you haven't yet tried the "other" key, I'd try that.
No. The situation is that the "SET" light never comes on and the memory buttons do nothing. The problem, according to the dealer, was the modules themselves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For reference; I lost all seat memory yesterday on my 2013 Boxster S with14-way Sport Seats & memory package. I was installing a set of new floor mats and, to do that, I moved the driver's seat fully to the rear of the track. This was done with the key in ACC but with the engine off. After installing the mats I tried to return the seat to the memorized position but neither the key or the #1 button would move the seat. I had also lost the "comfort" mode that moves the seat back to allow easier entrance/exit of the car. The light on the memory "set" button would not light. I went deep down the "settings" rabbit hole and did everything that the manual and on-line demos instructed. No love. Finally, I read about one other option; With the engine running, I ran the seat fully forward to the front stop and then fully rearward to the back stop (bringing the seat back more upright to avoid it hitting the rear bulkhead first) and then returned to mid-point. That fixed it! All functions are now working properly. My understanding is that 1) have the engine running and 2) avoid taking the seat to the very end of the track will keep this from happening. I also discovered that the key memory will not save unless one locks and then unlocks the car from the key remote.

Reactions: gearFX and bybybmw

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
For reference; I lost all seat memory yesterday on my 2013 Boxster S with14-way Sport Seats & memory package. I was installing a set of new floor mats and, to do that, I moved the driver's seat fully to the rear of the track. This was done with the key in ACC but with the engine off. After installing the mats I tried to return the seat to the memorized position but neither the key or the #1 button would move the seat. I had also lost the "comfort" mode that moves the seat back to allow easier entrance/exit of the car. The light on the memory "set" button would not light. I went deep down the "settings" rabbit hole and did everything that the manual and on-line demos instructed. No love. Finally, I read about one other option; With the engine running, I ran the seat fully forward to the front stop and then fully rearward to the back stop (bringing the seat back more upright to avoid it hitting the rear bulkhead first) and then returned to mid-point. That fixed it! All functions are now working properly. My understanding is that 1) have the engine running and 2) avoid taking the seat to the very end of the track will keep this from happening. I also discovered that the key memory will not save unless one locks and then unlocks the car from the key remote.
For a "rookie" you are wonderful. After 4+ years I finally lost my seat recall and comfort seat selections. Your post did the trick. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
May not be applicable to this situation, but the seats need to be calibrated to determine acceptable range of motion for each motor. If the seat needs and fail calibration, it will generate an error code for each motor that fails. There is a PIWIS calibration function for this, but perhaps the manual movement is used similarly. When changing seat control units the unit can come up in restricted movement mode and the seat will move very little until the mode is turned off via PIWIS.

V6

1 - 20 of 22 Posts