Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my pathetic afternoon. Went out for a drive, my iphone was on the passenger seat, and slipped onto the floor. I was in the middle of driving some nice roads and of course the phone slipped under the seat.

Then as I stop to retrieve it, I heard it slide and make a thud. When I went to get it, it had disappeared. It actually slid into a vent or wiring area underneath the seat and is currently under the drivers side floorboard. There is a little metal opening about the height of a finger.

At one point, I could cram my hand under and feel the phone, but had no room to do anything but prod. I pushed it a bit further in, went and got some tools, but still no luck. Soooo, I get in the car and abuse the poor thing, specifically up hills making jerky motions in first trying to get it to slide out. No luck.

Any other suggestions? It seems jammed somewhere, and even if I could get the seat out, I don't think it will help that much as there is still no room to move under the metal lip. Any ideas? Anybody know a bit more info who has removed their seats. I can call the phone, and it vibrates but can't pinpoint as the entire metal floorboard vibrates with it.

This is ridiculous, and please, if your iphone hits the floor....please pick it up quickly.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
There are only four bolts that hold the seat in - if you're a decent DIY'er, you can remove the four bolts, have someone help you move the seat up and back a little - have them hold it there (this way, you don't have to disconnect the electric plug under the seat)... then I think you'll have enough room to get the phone out of there... I don't recall what the torque value on the seat bolts is - you might look in the articles section for a seat removal article - there should be a torque value for the bolts in one of them. Or, you could take it to a Porsche shop and have them remove the seat and get your phone outta there.

brad

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Assuming the phone has enough metal in it, you might try one of those magnets on a flexible rod. Some auto parts stores sell them. They also sell thin rods that bend a bit with a little claw that opens and closes on objects from a button press at the end in your hand.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Lots of duct tape on a rod with the glue side exposed in order to catch the phone might work also. But removing the seats is not difficult.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
Another Gator eats a phone.

Try: Put some duct tape on your fingers as finger extensions, sticky side out.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Sorry it happened to you. I think someone else posted about this problem on the forum before.

I'm always worried I may lose something in there...A coin, candy, air-freshener...could be anything!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it! Thanks guys. Went out, bought the torx set sockets, took the seat out, no prob, with a little help from K-mans GT3 seat install. Fished around for a while, narrowed in on it with another phone calling it, found access to it through some small holes, pushed it around for a few minutes. Tried using the grabber claw but didn't have enough space, and once it was free enough, used the reverse duct tape trick on a screwdriver.

Thanks for the help guys, watch your phones!

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
In my previous Cayman a female passenger dropped her lip-liner on the floor and it slid into that same hole when I accelerated. I tried to retrieve it several times unsuccessfully, and finally crammed some rags in there to stop it from rolling around. Never did get it out.

As soon as I got the new Cayman I plugged those holes under the seat with some wads of fiberfill that was left over from stuffing the subwoofer.

Congrats on retrieving your phone... I know first hand how hard that would be!

·
Premium Member
5,834 Posts
In my previous Cayman a female passenger dropped her lip-liner on the floor and it slid into that same hole when I accelerated.
I had to slam on the brakes the other day and a balled up pair of men's black socks cam rolling out from under the seat. :eek: I gingerly picked them up and tossed them out the window. Yes, I know that I was littering but I didn't want black socks rolling around my floorboard. At least the black socks didn't make any noise.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
I noticed a strange smell and found a partially digested human torso under my passeneger seat. I admonished my Cayman in no uncertain terms. Gave him a "time-out".

It hasn't happened since.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
I had to slam on the brakes the other day and a balled up pair of men's black socks cam rolling out from under the seat. :eek: I gingerly picked them up and tossed them out the window. Yes, I know that I was littering but I didn't want black socks rolling around my floorboard. At least the black socks didn't make any noise.
So they weren't your socks? Ewwwww...

Could be worse, though...you could have found underwear or a diaper in there...

·
Registered
46 Posts
God damn it, just happend to me today...

My phone is completly out of reach, I have no idea where it is exactly since I don't have battery on it anymore now...
I feel very powerless right now, those holes must have been created by an engineer with a very dark side I am sure.

Wondering if my Porsche dealer in Switzerland will charge me the price of my phone to take my phone out ahaha :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I bought my used CS last December, I had the rear main oil seal replaced under CPO. When I picked the car up, the interior was detailed, except for a pile of crap on the passenger seat: Reading glasses, unopened pack of cookies, and a BOTTLE OF VALTREX (herpes meds). It wasn't mine, and didnt want my new service rep to judge me... I had to run back inside and ask where all that junk came from.... of course it had all been gobbled up by the passenger seat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ahaha that's a cool story, always nice to find out that the previous owner had herpes ;)

By the way, today I had to completely remove the seat, and went through the small holes with a special dedicated little camera to find my phone so far back into my car...
After some work via the little holes with a screwdriver, I was able to get my phone back.

Now first priority is to fill those holes with something in order to avoid such a sad story to happen again...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Ya, I have dropped something under as well. Unfortunately the space is so tight under that a magnet + guiding metal arm wouldn't cut it. I had to remove the seat and fish out stuff from under. That opening is a really weird one. Don't understand why Porsche didn't give it a plastic cover.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Makes one want to go explore just to see what might be there. A "TREASURE" hunt. Then again maybe not.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
No idea if this is the case or not but is there a chance that this is a cooling vent? Some cars have electronics under the seats, amps, etc, not just the seat controller bolted to the seat itself. I would have thought it would have been simple enough to have the carpeting cover it if just a box section of the body structure. Or a way to vent moisture from box sections? Idle speculation but perhaps worth a few minutes with PET to decide before sealing them up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts