Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a bit confused when I always hear people considering or comparing the cayman s to cars like the m3 e92 and the audi s5, about the only thing they have in common is ze germans. The 370z and Lotus Evora seem to make a lot more sense but is that it for the cayman s? What other cars would you put in its class and stack it up against?

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
The Cayman gets compared to the SLK Mercedes and the Nissan 350/370Z's too, also the Corvette from time to time and a host of other cars. The Audi R8 comes to mind from a mid engine platform, so it all depends on what your criteria for comparison is:

1) Price?
2) 2 seat sports car
3) Mid-Engine
4) HP/Torque
5) Handling

I can't really think of anything else that is closely matched to the Cayman on all fronts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Id say...

Lotus Evora
Audi TT RS
Merc SLK AMG 65
BMW Z4 35si (but at a bit of a stretch...more a price range comparisson)

I think you could but the Nissan 370Z in there as well but "class" wise it doesnt cut it for the badge snobs (who to be honest are probably the majority when it comes to sales values....and I have no trouble saying that Im one of them!)

Cant speak about Corvettes or American cars cause they are hideously expensive over here!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Id say...

Lotus Evora
Audi TT RS
Merc SLK AMG 65
BMW Z4 35si (but at a bit of a stretch...more a price range comparisson)

I think you could but the Nissan 370Z in there as well but "class" wise it doesnt cut it for the badge snobs (who to be honest are probably the majority when it comes to sales values....and I have no trouble saying that Im one of them!)

Cant speak about Corvettes or American cars cause they are hideously expensive over here!!
Yes, it's that "free trade" policy of the EEC, I am sure....;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
First I have to admit I do not have detailed information about pricing structure of e.g. Corvette in Europe but I would be ready to bet that in case of car imports EU-level tax policies contribute only minor part to the price difference.

Local legislation e.g. penalizing CO2 emissions is one big contributor and also US-based car companies have traditionally organized their exports pretty badly. Most products are not really well localized.

Anyway, a Z06 will set you back some 170kEUR ~ $240k in Finland where as you can get base Cayman with about 75kEUR ~ $107k..

P.S. Yes, I agree the concept of "Free Trade" carries in global level same status as "I am from HQ and I am here to help you...."

·
Registered
202 Posts
First I have to admit I do not have detailed information about pricing structure of e.g. Corvette in Europe but I would be ready to bet that in case of car imports EU-level tax policies contribute only minor part to the price difference.

Local legislation e.g. penalizing CO2 emissions is one big contributor and also US-based car companies have traditionally organized their exports pretty badly. Most products are not really well localized.

Anyway, a Z06 will set you back some 170kEUR ~ $240k in Finland where as you can get base Cayman with about 75kEUR ~ $107k..

P.S. Yes, I agree the concept of "Free Trade" carries in global level same status as "I am from HQ and I am here to help you...."
Your P.S. is so right.

Carbon taxes and the like, such as the EEC's regulation of bio-engineered food, are really cleverly disguised trade restrictions. Call them what they are. If something passes muster with our FDA, it should pass under the EEC regs, which according to my European doctor friends are much more lax. In terms of equipment changes, there is no way a $75,000 Corvette Z06 should cost more than US retail plus shipping and a few dollars for some details like changing side markers. $240,000 is just stupid and I don't care how many regs they have. Our cars are heavily regulated under US law. Heck, Chip Foose could build you a new custom Vette from scratch for 240K. This is a trade restriction, pure and simple. Indeed, restriction or taxes on engine size is silly--it's the gas mileage that matters, not the engine size, and the Z06 gets very good gas mileage for its power. Indeed, my late C5 Z06 and my Cayman S get about the exact same mileage in real world driving.

If I were in Obama's shoes, I'd get this fixed before I let another bottle of French wine into the US (or maybe another German-built car). California wine is as good or better, anyway, and the French, after the huge grape blight (Phylloxera) in the late 19th century-early 20th century, resurrected their wine industry using grapevines bought from California....

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
... as well as the loss (for the most part) of the malbec and petit verdot varietal from the traditional bourdeax meritage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts