Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Time to start comparisons to the new 2012 Exige S....

The next generation Exige gets a reworked body and tweaked interior, but the real news is under the clamshell. Lotus has pulled the 3.5-liter, supercharged V6 from the Evora S and slotted it into the back of the Exige S to create a 2,380-pound, 346-horsepower track sled designed and engineered to be, in the words of CEO Dany Bahar, "the ultimate Lotus experience."

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

Just wanted to share some pictures of my new baby Lotus Evora S standing next to the best of the best.
Sweet lookin' rides, nice garage too! Not many tools in your pictures, are they tucked away out of sight?

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Thanks Guys. I really do enjoy all of them equally. As for the tools in the garage, indeed they are mostly tucked away and I have built a Stainless Steel bench in one corner of the garage. Some more pictures of the bench area and some other tools, but mostly tucked inside the cabinets. Hack do you live in Portland? I am in Camas WA

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
True but I just keep repeating......

2,380-pound, 346-horsepower

:cheers:
Hate to agree with something promo'ing the Loti, but at 2'380/346 . . . Come on one's biggest fear is going to be falling out.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hack do you live in Portland? I am in Camas WA
Yes I do, in North Plains actually. West of Beaverton just off the Sunset Highway (26), on the way to the ocean

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
For me, owning the Lotus was like having a fling with a hot, slutty college girl, while the Porsche experience is like being in a solid marriage to a milf with family money.
Epic analogy. That is all

I will never get over how much I think the the front half of the Evora looks like a Koneigsegg. Great color combo too.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Something did come to mind re. the Lotus thread here.. I read somewhere that they built and sold very few cars (if memory serves around 2000 cars) in 2011, and are ripe to be bought out or eventually go under if volumes don't increase. I'm thinking an uncertain future for Lotus may very well deter enthusiasts?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Something did come to mind re. the Lotus thread here.. I read somewhere that they built and sold very few cars (if memory serves around 2000 cars) in 2011, and are ripe to be bought out or eventually go under if volumes don't increase. I'm thinking an uncertain future for Lotus may very well deter enthusiasts?
I can't remember where (having an 60 moment:eek:), but I read within the last 3 weeks on one of the online auto sites that Lotus sold only ~3,500 vehicles total in the most recent reporting 12 month period. If I read that correctly, that indicates dire straits and Dany Behar candidly indicated they are at a critical point if thy are to move forward. Hopefully they survive and grow.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Lotus has been in trouble for a while. They sold the Elise to the pent-up demand in 2005, but then everyone in the US who wanted one had one.

The angst on the Lotus boards the last 12 months has been palpable - especially with the current direction set by management (i.e., abandoning the extreme lightness philosophy, aspirations to compete with Ferrari, etc.)

ed

·
Registered
370 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread. As an ex-Elise owner, current Cayman owner and general light sports car nut, I've been to see and hear the Exige V6 test mule.

In the flesh it's very low and wide, and for the first time in a very long time, it has an engine with character. The noise the thing makes is epic. Complete with pops and bangs on the overrun. I've had a look at the figures for it too and they're staggering. This is going to be a very seriously quick car. Usual Lotus quality and build concerns aside.

I have a friend interested in buying one. Providing they don't go under (parent company Proton is being sold and with Lotus making a loss over the last 15 years, it's not looking too clever), then I might try and blag a go.

Meanwhile some pics:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Apart from the ugly rear end I'm pretty sure this is going to be an excellent piece of machinery.

The thing I'm most curious about is the interior's size. I don't fit in an Elise because of my height, so I'm wondering if I would fit into that new Exige S.
Unless they changed the cabin size, it's doubtful. The roof panel of the Exige is essentially the same on the inside as the Elise hardtop...which in turn is about the same contour as the soft top.

ed

·
Registered
98 Posts
How tall are you guys? I'm right at 6'0" and I can get in and out of my Elise just fine and once I'm in it's actually pretty roomy. That new Exige S is going to be a riot but I'm not a fan of the "new" styling compared to the first gen federal Elise/Exige.

I completely agree with the OP comparision. The Elise is 50% more fun to drive than the Cayman S but the Cayman S is 100% more practical and useable as a real car. The only other car that is close to the Cayman as far as performance, feel and everyday usability is the S2000. If I could only have one car to do everything between the Lotus and Porsche I'd have to pick the Cayman but if it's a nice day and I want to hit the track or some twisties I'll pick the Lotus every single time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Agree on the reliability part - Lotus helped themselves immensely by sourcing the engine and transmission from Toyota/Yamaha.
+1 !

Lotus keeps spreading rumors about building their own engines, which would be a huge mistake. I don't want shed-built reliability in my engine!

I'd love to see more cars that just take mainstream manufacturer engines and put them in a small sports car package.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,600 Posts
I had a ride in an Exciege Cup on track last weekend. The sills & cage made it very interesting getting in and out. (I'm 5'10" 190lb) The driver was very good and he had the car on the hairy edge sliding it quite a bit. Very fast and fun.

I looked at the Elise / Exciege when I bough the CS & decided it was not suitable for a dual purpose car. Even as a track toy I think a set up CS would be my choice.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts