Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming off Hiway and stopped at intersection. Let out clutch to accelerate and loud bang, then no gears, coasted into parking space. Engine seems to run fine without sound but will not go into any gears.Clutch in shifts fine, clutch out shifts fine, will not engage ant gear. 6 speed manual transmission 2006 cayman s3.4 litre with 140k. newer clutch at 110K Anybody have any clue what is happening? Please help me. Shift cables?, tranny failure?, clutch?
Thanks, Frustrated Porsche fan

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Coming off Hiway and stopped at intersection. Let out clutch to accelerate and loud bang, then no gears, coasted into parking space. Engine seems to run fine without sound but will not go into any gears.Clutch in shifts fine, clutch out shifts fine, will not engage ant gear. 6 speed manual transmission 2006 cayman s3.4 litre with 140k. newer clutch at 110K Anybody have any clue what is happening? Please help me. Shift cables?, tranny failure?, clutch?
Thanks, Frustrated Porsche fan
Don't know what the problem is, but a broken/disconnected cable would give you a very sloppy limp feel at the shifter and you wouldn't be able to change gears. Guessing pressure plate or throw-out bearing or worse (internal transmission problem).

·
Registered
32 Posts
u broke the shifter cable, common problem in certain years,mosty Caymans certain years,early Boxster up to approx 06 seem to suffer less.
May have something to do with they rout the cables based on what I have read.

·
Registered
162 Posts
While I didn't have the exact same issue, a few years ago in my 2006 CS I was on the highway and all of a sudden the stick wouldn't move and I couldn't change gears. I pulled over and eventually got it working - but it happened on and off intermittently until I could get it to the dealer the next day. By then the problem wouldn't repeat itself and the speculation is that a plastic bit broke of somewhere and jammed the stick. Anyway - while I had it in there I had them put in the short shifter - for me it totally transformed the car - if you don't already have it, highly, highly recommended. I really wish it was available in new Porsches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I didn't have the exact same issue, a few years ago in my 2006 CS I was on the highway and all of a sudden the stick wouldn't move and I couldn't change gears. I pulled over and eventually got it working - but it happened on and off intermittently until I could get it to the dealer the next day. By then the problem wouldn't repeat itself and the speculation is that a plastic bit broke of somewhere and jammed the stick. Anyway - while I had it in there I had them put in the short shifter - for me it totally transformed the car - if you don't already have it, highly, highly recommended. I really wish it was available in new Porsches.
Thanks for the responses, help, I do have a short shifter abd hope that my cable is broken, that would be a relief. The bang I heard scared me. Thanks again for the help guys!! Good to have this Forum

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
From your description it sounded like you were accelerating from the stop, rather than in the process of shifting, when the "bang" occurred. If so, that would eliminate a problem with the shifter or cables.

Long ago, in my POS Triumph Spitfire, I had a clutch grenade itself on an aggressive launch. That sounded horrible but had a cement mixer sound as bits of clutch got thrown around. But that's unlikely on a Porsche.

It should be easy for a tech to determine whether it is an external or internal problem. A quick inspection under the rear should be all it takes. Does changing gears cause the arm on each side to move? If so - time to drop the tranny and see what's up in there. Its possible that something went wrong with your clutch replacement. What else was replaced at that time? Typically the pressure place and throw-out bearing is done while it is all apart. I'm not sure if a dual mass flywheel could cause this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not an aggessive start but first gear as soon as the clutch was being released. Hope it is a cable letting loose as I released the clutch but think maybe I blew the clutch. No weird engine noise with clutch engaged or not engaged. Thanks for the help! Uhauling it back home through the mountains of montana.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got it on a lift. FUBAR. Driver side drive shaft sheared itself from tranny output. Broken and sheared bolts. Rear suspension upright if front of driveshaft cracked to all Hell. Cannot tell if the tranny turns or not. Not pretty. Thanks for the help today guys, looks like my cayman is dead for a while.

·
Registered
878 Posts
got it on a lift. FUBAR. Driver side drive shaft sheared itself from tranny output. Broken and sheared bolts. Rear suspension upright if front of driveshaft cracked to all Hell. Cannot tell if the tranny turns or not. Not pretty. Thanks for the help today guys, looks like my cayman is dead for a while.
I have had CV joints fail before on race cars - the sensation is the same you described, loud bang followed by no gears or power, but the engine runs and the tranny shifts.

This is actually not that bad, it will certainly be easier/cheaper to fix then a transmission problem. I'm willing to bet that your tranny and clutch are both fine. I suspect that your suspension piece broke first, and then put bad angles or vibration on the drive shaft resulting in the bolt failure. Have the shop inspect the suspension pieces on the other side too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts