Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I was driving home last night and heard a loud squeal. At first I thought it was the van next to me (we were both idle at the stop light) and I minded my own business and started driving. I later rolled the windows down and noticed the noise was actually coming from my car.

I pulled over to a nearby gas station and looked outside and determined it was definitely coming from my car.

The noise comes and goes when I step on the throttle as I am driving but as I slow down the noise comes back. It sounds like a bearing or loud whistle noise. Anyone know what this might be?

Attached is the sound clip of the noise

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2DFEPqjOfm2MWg5WWZSMUpKXzA

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Diagnosing noises from sound clips is extremely difficult, however if the noise changes in intensity or pitch when getting on/off the throttle there's a good chance it's the serpentine belt. The belt itself isn't very expensive, however replacing it would require removal of at least one of the two panels in the passenger compartment. I've replaced a belt on a 997.2 but not a 987.2. I expect removing the panel behinds the seats would provide all the access needed to replace the belt, but taking off the top panel as well would only add a few minutes to the job.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
It sounds similar (but not exactly) as my failing water pump sounded. Does it only do it while stopped at idle and go away with a light touch of gas?

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Diagnosing noises from sound clips is extremely difficult, however if the noise changes in intensity or pitch when getting on/off the throttle there's a good chance it's the serpentine belt. The belt itself isn't very expensive, however replacing it would require removal of at least one of the two panels in the passenger compartment. I've replaced a belt on a 997.2 but not a 987.2. I expect removing the panel behinds the seats would provide all the access needed to replace the belt, but taking off the top panel as well would only add a few minutes to the job.
If the sound is truly a squeal, can't really be certain from the clip, then the first thing I always eliminate is a slipping belt. It would be helpful to get more info on the car: year, model and number of miles.

·
Registered
109 Posts
+1 on the water pump. It's one of the more common failure items. I"d avoid putting any/many miles on it until confirmed & resolved.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
I recall hearing (no pun intended) that a failing AOS can whistle. No personal experience but something else to consider. Check your oil consumption.

The belt and water pump are good calls. Check the idler pulleys and accessories while you're at it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its your FAX machine! :} Seriously, it sounds like a belt or a bushing. Open the panels and try to pinpoint the source. Soon, the more it wears, the more it could cost to fix.

·
Registered
832 Posts
90% that it is a bearing and yes the water pump could indeed be the culprit. You'll have to open up the engine bay and using either a stethoscope or a short length of hose listen around and you'll located it. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.