Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would love to get a 981 Boxster but I am scared to pull the trigger and sell my 2012 Grand Sport. How many of you used to be vette owners. What are your thoughts? Plus and Minuses. Sorry , added under the DIY posts, could the administrator move to general discussion

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I used to own a 2012 Grand Sport CE, and don't miss anything about that car compared to the CGTS, but you might value different things that I do. I HATE cheap build quality, and even though my car was the top of the line (leather dash, etc) with all options, it always felt cheap. Performance was good, obviously, but wanted a better driving experience. My subsequent GTR improved that, but not nearly as much as the CGTS, even with a lot less power. You'll have to spend more, but if you have the funds, you wouldn't regret it;). Good luck.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've owned 7 Corvettes from 1981 to 2008. Sold the 2008 manual convertible and bought a 2016 Spyder. The biggest difference is the build quality. My plan was to sell the C6 and buy a C7. However, I had just purchased my first Porsche, a 2015 Macan S and was so impressed with the quality I decided to stay with Porsche for a sports car. I have not been disappointed. Although the Vette quality has improved dramatically over the years it is still significantly behind Porsche in my opinion. I always loved the Vette engine sound but not the sound of the body rattling after a couple of years.

Reactions: dennis26

·
Registered
518 Posts
On any topic, experience with both options isn't really necessary as preferences and priorities can vary even if people have experience with the same set of options. It shouldn't be surprising that most here would prefer the Porsche but there are certainly those that prefer the Corvette out there. You really have to sort out your priorities and test drive. That will point you to the right choice for you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
As much as it's hard to accept for some people, image is perhaps the biggest difference between owning a Chevrolet and a Porsche. If you do decide to make the change the first thing you're going to notice is fewer 70 year old men with gray beards wearing tshirts they bought on the turnpike approaching you to talk cars.

GM has made huge improvements in quality to where that alone can no longer be the deciding factor.

My wife just asked me what I'm doing, and I told her a guy asked if he should trade his Corvette for a Porsche. Her exact reply, "uhh, duhhhh". The End.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Full disclosure, I have and would never own a corvette. Outstanding performance for the money, 2017 interior is now finally acceptable, butt is still too big and wide for my taste. Having said all that, you are going to notice that the 981 does not have anywhere near the low end torque of the Grand Sport. By comparison it will feel anemic! You have to rev these flat 6 engines in order to get the power. If your experienced with Japanese inline 4 motorcycle engines you will know how to drive the 981. If not, you will either learn, or be very disappointed. My suggestion is you buy the 981 S if you can afford it. On the other had, as others have said you will be impressed with the interior and exterior build quality. German engineering at its finest! Oh, and be ware you will faint at the cost of taking it to the Porsche dealer for it's first service. lol

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I would love to get a 981 Boxster but I am scared to pull the trigger and sell my 2012 Grand Sport. How many of you used to be vette owners. What are your thoughts? Plus and Minuses. Sorry , added under the DIY posts, could the administrator move to general discussion
It's been a long time, but I use to be a Corvette owner. I had a 327 ci 350 HP C2. I don't think any car that I ever owned, including the many 911s I owned over the decades, gave me more pleasure than that C2. The only problem I had back then was with the paint. GM hadn't mastered a way to keep the paint from popping off fiberglass. So every time I hit a pebble, I lost some paint. Other than that I loved that car. The C2 wasn't very large and had similar exterior dimensions to the 911.

As others have pointed out there's a tremendous torque difference between a base Boxster and your Vette. Most Vette owners I know don't like 911s much less Boxsters, because of their preference for high HP/Torque cars. Another thing to consider is maintenance costs. The Boxster will cost you at least three times more to maintain than your Vette. My recommendation is for you to take a looooong test drive. If there's still doubt in your mind after the test drive, don't sell your Vette. A friend of mine has a Z51 coupe which he purchased from Kerbeck for around $55K. I've driven that car on several occasions, and it is awesome. It doesn't handle as well as a mid engined 981, but its power is addictive.

Bottom line is that I would recommend that you proceed with caution. You have a car which is by far the best bang for the buck in the sports car world, both from the perspective of initial cost and maintenance.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Approaching retirement, my wife helped me answer this question. She said "an old guy in a Corvette is a cliche; an old guy in a Porsche is sexy"

I'm still wondering if the Corvette (one of my adolescent dreams) would have scratched some itch, but the mid-engine goodness and the incredible flat-six sound makes me smile very time I drive.

Reactions: mmike87

·
Registered
33 Posts
I loved my 2000 Corvette coupe and drove it for 16 years (bought it in fall of 1999). Loved the way it "woke up" every time I turned the key and there's nothing like brute force American V8 torque. But over time the "best sports car for the money" moniker got old. It never rattled, but I started to be bothered by the flimsy plastic door openers and the way the passenger side window pillar's plastic panel was pulling away from the dash. It took me a couple of years, but I noticed that the passenger side front quarter panel was a quarter inch (yes, a quarter inch) higher than the passenger door when compared to the driver's side. Fortunately the car is wide enough that you can't see both sides at once. But she never left me stranded and was a blast to drive on the few track days I took her on. Always fun on the freeway.

Then I saw the 2015 Cayman GTS and put down my deposit. I did't mind losing the open air option of the C5 coupe. At the time it was probably "the best Porsche for the money", with all the options you'd normally order on a Cayman at way below what you'd pay to add them to a Cayman S, with a 15 bhp bump and some unique exterior treatments that I liked (I have to admit it was bit of a bummer that they announced the release of the GT4 while I was awaiting my build, but oh well). It fits like a glove and drives like a go kart. Love coming off the freeway entry onto the road. Love even more winding country back roads.

The 3.4L NA flat 6 is a joy and, yes, needs revving to really appreciate but I am always smiling when I'm leaving the garage. The build quality is far and away better than my dear departed C5, but I have never had more compliments than when I'm riding in the ubersled.

If you can do it, do it. You only live once.:banana:

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I loved my 2000 Corvette coupe and drove it for 16 years (bought it in fall of 1999). Loved the way it "woke up" every time I turned the key and there's nothing like brute force American V8 torque. But over time the "best sports car for the money" moniker got old. It never rattled, but I started to be bothered by the flimsy plastic door openers and the way the passenger side window pillar's plastic panel was pulling away from the dash. It took me a couple of years, but I noticed that the passenger side front quarter panel was a quarter inch (yes, a quarter inch) higher than the passenger door when compared to the driver's side. Fortunately the car is wide enough that you can't see both sides at once. But she never left me stranded and was a blast to drive on the few track days I took her on. Always fun on the freeway.

Then I saw the 2015 Cayman GTS and put down my deposit. I did't mind losing the open air option of the C5 coupe. At the time it was probably "the best Porsche for the money", with all the options you'd normally order on a Cayman at way below what you'd pay to add them to a Cayman S, with a 15 bhp bump and some unique exterior treatments that I liked (I have to admit it was bit of a bummer that they announced the release of the GT4 while I was awaiting my build, but oh well). It fits like a glove and drives like a go kart. Love coming off the freeway entry onto the road. Love even more winding country back roads.

The 3.4L NA flat 6 is a joy and, yes, needs revving to really appreciate but I am always smiling when I'm leaving the garage. The build quality is far and away better than my dear departed C5, but I have never had more compliments than when I'm riding in the ubersled.

If you can do it, do it. You only live once.:banana:
To be fair you compared a 2000 Corvette with a 2015 Cayman. A 2000 Boxster with its plastic rear window would be a fairer comparison. Moreover, if you do a search on the 2000 Boxster you'll find a litany of problems that far exceed what you described for your Vette. Although it has been decades since I last owned a Corvette, my guess would be that the quality of a 2018 Corvette is on a par or nearly on a par with German cars, and would far superior to your 2000.

I still prefer Porsches to Corvettes, but Corvettes have a lot to offer, especially when initial purchase price and ongoing maintenance costs are considered. If you go to the Kerbeck web site, you'll find numerous 2018 Vettes priced under $60K. At that price point you can only buy a moderately equipped base 718. When Vettes and 991s are compared, reviewers give the nod to Porsche, but the question every car buyer has to answer is whether a 991 is worth the approximate $40K price premium over the price of a Corvette.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
my guess would be that the quality of a 2018 Corvette is on a par or nearly on a par with German cars
I say not even close. My last was a 2012, which finally had a good engine (without piston slap), but the manual tranny (Tremec) was defective, so rather than allowing a local dealer with no experience half-dismantling the car to replace it, just sold it. The cheapness of that car was unbelievable, even in its highest trim level. At least to me, it wasn't worth skimping on build quality for performance. Yes, the C7 is much better, but still a cheaply built car, just with better materials this time. Porsche is not the best built car at all, but miles better than a new Corvette IMO.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I bought a new 2017 Camaro 2SS and it was pure headache, transmission failed, different interior rattles, wheel pain peeling... I say never American again, probably first and last American car I will ever buy.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I owned a 2000 C5 and drove it for several years, selling it in 2003. I really enjoyed it but things I noticed (and I am sure C6 and C7 have improved....) it rode harsh and drove like a car much bigger and heavier than its actual size and weight. I am on my 4th Porsche Cayman and my only regret is that I did not move to Porsche sooner than I did. Corvette gets it done with brute force, Porsche gets it done with finesse. I also never felt integrated with the Corvette. I felt I was riding in a car as a passenger, not controlling the car as an integral part of the performance. Oh, and I ruin the image of Porsche though, I am a graying 71 year old............oh well.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Thanks everybody, I now own a 2013 Boxster fully loaded and even has the 20 inch Carrera wheels. Picked it up with 2000 miles. Could not pass it up. Pick it up Saturday.....Can't wait!!
As a previous Corvette owner, I will hazard to say that despite the loss of brute power you will love the Boxster, I am on my 4th one now! ;)

Post back with your initial thoughts!

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Approaching retirement, my wife helped me answer this question. She said "an old guy in a Corvette is a cliche; an old guy in a Porsche is sexy"

I'm still wondering if the Corvette (one of my adolescent dreams) would have scratched some itch, but the mid-engine goodness and the incredible flat-six sound makes me smile very time I drive.
Your wife looks at this correctly! ;)

As for the mid-engine itch... what are you going to do when they release the mid-engine Vette? :hilarious:

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I'd suggest to wait at least 5 years for GM to fix all issues;). And yes, I talk from experience. He he. Never another GM for me though; I'm done with them.
Although I might be tempted to wait until year 2 of the new platform, I think they have the desire and need to get it right the first time, all of the world is waiting considering how long this has been rumoured!

I have owned many GM products over the years and had excellent service and reliability from all of them, everything from a 1967 Bel Air wagon, 1984 Z28, 1988 Corvette, many trucks and right now a 2015 GMC Sierra 4x4...

I have high hopes for the mid-engine Corvette, personally for as capable as the current platform is, to me it is too edgy, with 'boy-racer' styling, I hope they tame that look down a lot for the new car, but we shall see.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.