Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently installed the Agency Power exhaust about two weeks ago and thought I'd share my opinions here. For other AP exhaust owners as well, feel free to share your opinions too and we can have a nice thread on the AP experience.

All in all my AP exhaust install went pretty well.

To those who are going to install:

1. Buy the proper tools to loosen the triangular flange bolts on the catalytic converters. I ended up breaking 2 of these and it was a ROYAL PAIN having to replace them via grinding them out!!!

Note: If you do end up breaking the bolts, view this thread:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/26528-need-help-broken-header-stud.html

I ended up removing the header (for better access) and using a dremel and a metal cutting attachment to cut out the welded bolt in place. It is tack welded in 3 spots and I thought by simply cutting the small welds, the entire bolt and head would come loose. This was not the case since the bolt seems to have been machine pressed on the flange or welded in place. If you break the bolt you can either drill out the bolt (laborious) and break some drill bits or end up having to cut/grind the entire bolt+head out (laborious). Both are a pain, so be careful!

2. When doing the install, loosen up the muffler hangers so you can wiggle that around when putting the system in. Things will line up and fit much easier.

3. Grab a friend, makes putting the system in as one piece much easier with an extra set of hands for support.

I also opted to purchase a new set of triangular gaskets that go between the cats and the pipe to the muffler since my old ones were 38k miles old and already press sealed.

Exhuast Removal Article can be found here:

Factory Exhaust Removal - Articles

Impressions (so far):

Sound:

Absolutely love it, can't complain at all. I think it sounds really great! The sound reminds me of a GT3 RSR. It's purely Porsche which is an aspect I love the most. It doesn't make Cayman sound like something it's not. It is a fabulous sound and I think perfect.

Inside the cabin you will notice that it's actually only a tiny bit louder than stock at least below 4k RPM and perfectly livable for everyday driving. I do not get a headache at all when driving but do get a smile on my face :) And Although it's not a screamer inside the cabin, the thing wails on the outside!

When Agency Power said there was "no drone" I honestly didn't believe them, every aftermarket exhaust has drone I hear. But to my surprise they were right! Trust me and my mechanic when we say that there is absolutely NO DRONE at ANY RPM, under ANY condition.

Power Gains: (Clarified)

23RWHP and 11 lb/tq increase

I have definitely noticed harder pulling above 4.5k rpm, but it's still no neck-snapper yet it's still closer to what the Cayman should have been out of the factory. I have not performed any dyno's on my own and the power gains are what Vividracing claims from their dyno testing.

Packaging:

I don't know who is working at the FedEx that Vividracing ships these exhuasts from, but shame on them. Box was battered up, small hole and only the top was half taped. However, there was a TON of bubble wrap on the exhaust parts for any needed protection, even if it fell off the truck during delivery :rolleyes:

Quality:

Yes there was a microscopic ding on one of the mufflers, not concerned at all though. Imagine what your exhaust is going to look like anyways after 10k mi on the road... This is not to say it looks bad, it looks great as some of you can already see! The stainless steel is beautiful and appears to be solid construction. There was also a concern about the welds that was brought up before, but every weld looks solid to me and I can see no problem with them.

Ding:

Also I'd like to mention that after a week and a half of driving there appears to be a fibrous filament that has covered the back of my car. I've heard that this is standard with all new exhausts but I thought I should bring it up. I will try and upload a picture of this.

Tips (optional):

I was a little skeptical on how the tips would look on the car, but I think they are growing on me and I do in fact like them. I also want to mention that on the edge of the left port on the tips is starting to get a little blue. I will also get a picture of this.

Here is Law's car from the rear:

From the back, I love seeing all that chrome through the rear diffuser openings :)

I'll also upload a few pics of the system on my car, but it's too dirty from salt on the roads and I'd be embarrassed showing it in such condition. :crazy:

Now I can't have a write-up without a video, so enjoy:

Ordering:

Agency Power Exhaust System Porsche Boxster/Cayman 987

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Re: Loving My Agency Power Exhuast (Review)

Nice write up Golfguy. I especially enjoyed the video.

Maybe we should get together and do a comparison with the AWE. I'd probably want to wait for it to get warmer though. :)

-Moto

·
Premium Member
464 Posts

Sounds good. What were some of the reasons that you went with the APE over some of the others on the market? I'm thinking about this for the spring, so I'm curious about that.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Loving my Agency Power exhaust too! Here are some more pics from my track day with the exhaust. My friend said he heard people from the spectator stands commenting on how awesome the Cayman sounded. You can hear in golfguy's videos the AP exhaust screams!

(sorry all the pics I have for now, will shoot more soon and try to record some videos)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Sounds good. What were some of the reasons that you went with the APE over some of the others on the market? I'm thinking about this for the spring, so I'm curious about that.
The reason I chose the APE over other systems at the time was because of Vividracing's generous 50% off discount and the acclaimed power gains. I think I calculated out that the $/HP was one third of that from a TPC turbo which is way out of my price range. I actually wasn't even planning on buying an exhaust until the Spring/ Summer but Vividracing's offer was truly too good to pass up. I was ready to spend between $1k-1.6k on an exhaust system when I was ready to buy. I've come across many excellent offers in the classifieds before that I've wanted to snatch up, but never pulled the trigger. It was something about this system where I knew I'd kick myself if I didn't get it at such a great price. And to be honest I was a little nervous that it was so cheap, I thought quality and sound would be compromised but this is certainly not the case. I could understand Vividracing did the sale for honest promotion of their product since they are relatively new to Porsche and just want to get their systems out there for others to hear and it seems to have worked! Before they posted here, I had never heard of Agency Power.

And like I mentioned in my original post, the sound! It's purely Porsche and screams like it's older GT3xxx siblings. I thought about Borla but I thought the sound belonged to a different car. Nevertheless it's still a great exhaust as many on the forum here have displayed but just wasn't my cup of tea. I really wanted the Tubi exhaust but at a little over $2.3k it was out of my price range. And although one popped up in the classifieds I couldn't compensate spending that much money at the time for unknown power gains.

So it all came down to this system offered awesome power gains and a truly great sound that I had been searching for, all at a phenomenal price...oh and NO DRONE! :)

And Law your car looks awesome!

·
Registered
210 Posts

Nice review. The exhaust sounds great.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Nice write up Golfguy. I especially enjoyed the video.

Maybe we should get together and do a comparison with the AWE. I'd probably want to wait for it to get warmer though. :)

-Moto
Thanks Moto, we will have to do that! Definitely in warmer and more appealing weather.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts

I love the way this exhaust sounds and like the idea of no drown too. But the math on claimed hp doesn't add up like the previous poster cited. From 8 hp gains at the introduction to 23 hp now without any stated improvement in design etc. is curious. Plus it looks like this system eliminates two cats in the process. I would think just getting rite of two cats you would get 23 hp gains. It would be a hassle to have the cats put back on to pass smog inspection every couple years. However I like the way the Agency exhaust sounds, it's the best I've heard so far.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

However why when they introduced this system did the claim only 8hp?

http://www.planet-9.com/site-vendors-sponsors/20440-exhaust-sale-stock-ready-ship.html
I love the way this exhaust sounds and like the idea of no drown too. But the math on claimed hp doesn't add up like the previous poster cited. From 8 hp gains at the introduction to 23 hp now without any stated improvement in design etc. is curious. Plus it looks like this system eliminates two cats in the process. I would think just getting rite of two cats you would get 23 hp gains. It would be a hassle to have the cats put back on to pass smog inspection every couple years. However I like the way the Agency exhaust sounds, it's the best I've heard so far.
Ok I was also a little unsure about the HP gains of this exhaust. I think I recall that claimed 8HP gain as well. But since it has changed.

From the Agency Power website it says:

"the Agency Power Porsche 987 exhaust produced an impressive 23WHP and 11ft/lbs of torque."

Agency Power Exhaust System Porsche Boxster/Cayman 987

The initial video posted by Vivid Racing also claims 23 WHP and 11lb/tq

I posted these gains in my original post from the information I have gathered. If these values are wrong I won't hesitate to change them, I am simply trying to inform potential buyers of what they're getting.

As for passing a smog inspection, the Cayman comes with 4 Cats so there are still two cats on the headers. It is my understanding that you will still pass the smog inspection as long as you have these catalytic converters.

If Vividracing or Agency Power could chime in on this HP debacle and clear some confusion up that would be great.

Edit:

Ok I just re-read this post http://www.planet-9.com/site-vendors-sponsors/20440-exhaust-sale-stock-ready-ship.html and it claims 8WHP and 7lb/ft torque. The Agency power website also claims 23WHP and 11lb/ft torque. I think they are both right but just worded wrong. The exhaust probably puts 8WHP and 7lb/ft of torque at the wheels, but 23HP (not WHP) and 11lb/ft of torque at the crank. If this clears anything up then great, if not then I'm still open for corrections.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts

23 HP from an Exhaust change! Sounds like a lot of hot air (pun intended). Porsche (VW) should fire their Engineers.

·
Registered
44 Posts

I intend to use this exhaust for daily driver. Is it noticeably louder inside the cabin? Does it get tiresome after say 100miles?

·
Registered
406 Posts

Thanks for the kind words on the Agency Power Exhaust. We sold through a ton on that special and only have 3 left till the next shipment LOL. But your install tips and review is awesome! Any product questions, contact me.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I intend to use this exhaust for daily driver. Is it noticeably louder inside the cabin? Does it get tiresome after say 100miles?
I too use this as a daily driver. I would be lying to you if I said it wasn't louder, but it's barely noticeable. I would estimate 1-2 decibel increase in the cabin, though I don't have a scientific measurement of this. It is perfectly fine for me to drive with everyday and does not get tiresome after 100 miles or close to 1,000 for me now.

·
Registered
406 Posts

Like any exhaust, the muffler packing inside will breakdown and the sound will only get better over time :)

As far as the HP claims. Our first initial dyno on the car was the 23rwhp on our Mustang Dyno. We posted this up right away, search on the forums, and a bunch of Cayman guys hated on it all over the place. No matter what we said, hate hate hate. So we took another dyno test and basically put the difference of 2 runs so it was more appealing. Well that did not work obviously. So here comes 2009 and we have exhausts instock. So we did the 50% giveaway and then put the original dyno up which is legit. Now we have happy customers...

·
Registered
659 Posts

Like any exhaust, the muffler packing inside will breakdown and the sound will only get better over time :)

As far as the HP claims. Our first initial dyno on the car was the 23rwhp on our Mustang Dyno. We posted this up right away, search on the forums, and a bunch of Cayman guys hated on it all over the place. No matter what we said, hate hate hate. So we took another dyno test and basically put the difference of 2 runs so it was more appealing. Well that did not work obviously. So here comes 2009 and we have exhausts instock. So we did the 50% giveaway and then put the original dyno up which is legit. Now we have happy customers...
I certainly don't know the history but this was a very strange reply, perhaps you could be more straightforwardin answering the question.

Thank you.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Do you have much experience in person with Borla? I'm considering buying an Agency over Borla but don't know much about Agency.

I'm ready to pull the trigger any day. Just need to decide.

One of my concerns was how cheap Agency is. I know you can't judge by price always. But being about 900 vs. 1300 for most others I was looking at, I worry about why? What's your opinion? Help convince me so I can buy one tomorrow. ;)

I'm not going to install myself. I have no tools nor a desire to do it. So I figure it'll cost around 200 or so I've heard to install.

·
Registered
159 Posts

I was speaking with a rep and they said the tips were an additional 230 bucks. Is this just cosmetic? Either way, I think I'd go for it. I like the look on your car.

·
Registered
159 Posts

To Vivid:

Do I need to send you 3 or 4 women to get my 50% off rate? I'm a cripple you know? I broke my back. I haven't walked in 14 days for the last flare up.

Do you want to take advantage of a cripple?

Also, I have connections in certain industries. You like Jesse Jane? Gimme the discount damn it!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts