Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Anyone have any luck with this product, or something similar?

What about kits to enhance the LEDs so that the gauges are more brightly lit?

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
It's a stock dash in different colors

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
I just received my new-to-me 2014 Cayman S, a stunning car.

The instrument cluster has three circles. The right circle is well illuminated and high contrast. The center circle (tach) is light gray numbers on dark gray background and the left circle (speedo) is whiter letters on a darker background. Without illumination, they are impossible to read in the daylight without concentrating for so long that it is not safe..

Is this the way the car is supposed to be? Are there options to provide better contrast (replacement backgrounds for the dials or bright daylight illumination)?

Thanks!

Jon
The center Tach on S models is white numbers on grey background while the speedo is white on black. It took me a while to get used to the lack of contrast on the tach.

You can always Google Suncoast parts and order a white on black tach (which ironically comes on the standard non-S model), or get a tach or both the tach and speedo in matching colors. White on red, black on white and black on yellow are also popular, and you could either swap them out yourself or have your friendly neighborhood dealer (for a price) do it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Anyone here ever do the swap? I imagine that getting the instrument cluster out is not the hard part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, pretty horrible engineering on this one. I've been pounding this issue since the day I received my car including emails to Porsche & trying to find if there is a way to override the programming to allow the backlighting to be controllable at all times. I have had no success.

It's funny that some of the feedback that I've received about my commentaries is basically "lots of German cars do this so get used to it", or other rationalizations.
I went through the exact same thought process as @MLCayman!! My Infiniti that cost half as much as the Porsche did a better job of lighting up the gauges!!! I have tried to find somebody to reprogram the ECU with no luck. One of the problems is that they put a light grey lettering on a dark grey background (another wonderful idea). Not sure how this one got past any sort of engineering review/approval. It's not like one person approved this because it carried over to the 718's as well. The 718 GTS has a black background that helps with the contrast. I have found replacement face plates from SunCoast parts but can't find anyone to replace it because if you break the clip that holds the tach needle then you have to replace the entire instrument pod for thousands of dollars. I'm not sure what the background is on the 981 GTS but it may be possible to source one of those and use it as a replacement.

Hopefully that is of some help!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just received my new-to-me 2014 Cayman S, a stunning car.

The instrument cluster has three circles. The right circle is well illuminated and high contrast. The center circle (tach) is light gray numbers on dark gray background and the left circle (speedo) is whiter letters on a darker background. Without illumination, they are impossible to read in the daylight without concentrating for so long that it is not safe..

Is this the way the car is supposed to be? Are there options to provide better contrast (replacement backgrounds for the dials or bright daylight illumination)?

Thanks!

Jon
Jon,
I don’t recommend my repair described in post #3 in “Tachometer needle will not illuminate on 981”, but by dumb luck my repair of installing two aftermarket LED’s to light my tach needle and powering them from the ignition key light ring also solved the hard to see tach needle. The tach needle is at full brightness with the headlights in the off or auto position and as soon as the headlights come on it is at the same level of brightness as the rest of the instrument cluster lights.

I wonder if you could find which wire powers the instrument lights from the wiring diagram and move it to the connector for the key illumination ring that should give full brightness to the instrument cluster with the headlights off and would still be dimmable with the headlights on. Just a thought.
Jim

·
Registered
469 Posts
You can adjust the backlight... Not sure if that helps.

/R

My Porsche pics on Instagram: the_porsche_rich
This was suggested earlier but OP never responded.

I've never had a problem with the lighting and suspect your previous owner just had this turned wayyyyyy down perhaps?

·
Registered
169 Posts
This was suggested earlier but OP never responded.

I've never had a problem with the lighting and suspect your previous owner just had this turned wayyyyyy down perhaps?
Back lighting is not enabled if the headlights are not turned on. You can turn it as high as you want and it won't change that fact, unfortunately.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yes. You have to turn SOME lights on and then there is a hint of light during the day. I am exploring changing the faces on the dials. I imagine it will cost $1000 or so. A frustrating unnecessary expense. There should be a safety-related class-action law suit started.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had not realized how much my vision in general, (color vision and contrast sensitivity in particular) had deteriorated prior to cataract surgery until after the surgery. I have a 2014 Cayman S, and it's a great car. I have no difficulty reading the tach.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Yes. You have to turn SOME lights on and then there is a hint of light during the day. I am exploring changing the faces on the dials. I imagine it will cost $1000 or so. A frustrating unnecessary expense. There should be a safety-related class-action law suit started.
Before I'd spent (waste) $1000 or do a class action lawsuit I would just turn the running lights on

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I've noted and didn't like dash at times during the day but fine once lights on or it gets dark.
?? vision problem ??

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've noted and didn't like dash at times during the day but fine once lights on or it gets dark.
?? vision problem ??
@Augie:
We're saying it's during the daytime, not at night. Once the lights are on, the backlighting is enabled. It's really unfortunate it's just not always controllable. I presume this is a nod to heritage and the way it's always been done, but to me some heritage should be ignored.

You've just confirmed for us that you also have the issue during the daytime. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I know you are talking about daytime but he says it's still bad during the day with the lights on.
Have you looked at other cars (Porsche's) and are they the same as yours or is just your car ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know you are talking about daytime but he says it's still bad during the day with the lights on.
Have you looked at other cars (Porsche's) and are they the same as yours or is just your car ?
There have been enough discussions to know that it's not just me. With that said, I have really not used my headlights during the daytime because from a philosophical perspective I can't do that. I have automatic headlights in my car and if I can't use them in auto mode, there is no value in it. So, to complete my understanding of the issue, I will turn my headlights on next time I'm out during the daytime to see if they are still hard to see.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts