Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 6 months of storage prolonged by covid19 lockdown and 3x start-up/warm-ups of 20 minutes in between, I noticed low coolant warning today. I have never added any coolant since new except today's 1/3 Liter of 50:50 coolant/water mix. Coolant warning light finally turned off. Is loosing coolant during storage possible? No drips on the floor, no white smoke or sweet smell from exhaust fume to indicate coolant mixing with oil or seeping into combustion chamber.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Obviously it's "possible" since your car has done it. The question is - where did it go. The cooling system is supposed to be sealed system. I should use NO coolant. If it does lose coolant over time, there is a leak. The fact that it didn't show on your floor doesn't mean it's not leaking. It may be leaking in a spot where the undercovering on the car is preventing it from getting to the ground, or it might be leaking so slowly that it evaporates rather than drips. Look for crusty pink deposits - on surfaces, around joints - it's going somewhere. Do check under the oil cap - if it's getting into the oil there is a good chance whipped cream (oil with trapped coolant) will appear on the bottom of the cap.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Checked oil cap and there is no white creamy deposit. 4 years of ownership since new probably boiled some coolants overtime and very close to the level point of triggering warning light when I put it on winter storage. I think 1/3 liter coolant to top up max is not bad but just curious when I posted my experience today.
During storage, I start my car and let it idle for 5 minutes first, rev up to 2K to 3.5K rpm intermittently until exhaust tips are free of water condensate and oil temp reaches about 88*C. I also move car forward and backward from garage to my driveway to circulate transmission oil and ensure brakes do not stuck. The total process is about 20-25 minutes. I will continue to investigate...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Without knowing how often you drive / store the Cayman I won't know if this helps you at all..

When we purchased my wife's 14' about 4 years ago we were getting the same message after a few months of driving it (the dealer told us the car had been sitting for months before we purchased it from them). I immediately took it to the dealer when the message popped up and they said the systems like to "hide" air pockets and we needed to add coolant as the air found it's way to the reservoir. Fast forward to today and we haven't had an issue since the day I added, maybe a cup of coolant?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I hope this is the case. I don't drive the Porsche as much as I would like to as I have other cars that also needs my driving. I only put about 3,500 kms to 4,000 kms a year, summer driven only and even less when family goes for out of country vacation.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There’s a changeover valve on top of the engine for the PSE switchover solinoids that when it goes faulty it shows a coolant warning , apparently there is also a similar valve/switch in the coolant system.maybe that ???

·
Registered
508 Posts
This is normal at about 4 years and 36-40k miles if you have never added coolant. A lot of owners, including myself, have experienced it. Just top it off and you're good to go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's hard too see without pulling the bumper off. But the very tops of the front radiators are exposed and susceptible to a rock hit. Normally the AC condenser is taken out, but the radiators can get hit as well causing a pen hole. It will only weap when driven and hot, but you can see a dark spot around any hit. Unlikely but worth checking. K

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have topped off coolant 2 times over the last 4 1/2 years (2016 Cayman). First time was as cold weather kicked in around year 2, took it to dealer and they added an unknown amount - got the same line about air pockets, etc.

Then again around the beginning of year 4, just added about 1 cup of coolant mixture...it is really hard to use the float gauge - so I try not to overfill...
So, yes, it is possible. I do not believe I have a leak.
Zero fluids on ground, ever. I pay attention to see if I ever smell coolant - never.

I would not worry about, just be aware.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts