Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to drive my 2013 Boxster this AM and was met with an immediate Low Coolant Watch Temperature light. Turned off then on the car again and it’s still there.
Drove the Cayenne instead...

What type of coolant do I need to use to top off? I’d like to pick some up on the way home and fix this today rather than ordering Porsche brand coolant and waiting.

·
Registered
823 Posts
There’s tons of info out there regarding adding coolant. After reading several pages I’ve decided that when I need to add coolant I’d probably just ask my dealer to top my car off or buy the Porsche approved product from my dealer.

From what I’ve read its not wise to mix to different coolant brands or types so for a few extra $$$ I will just pay the Porsche tax and move on worry free.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/690683-porsche-coolant-why-3.html

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/00004330147.html

i did look in the manual for my car under “ Fluids, Coolant and Anti Freeze “ and could not find any info listing the type of coolant required.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I’ll try adding a tiny bit of distilled water to see if it’s just minimal.

·
Registered
34,175 Posts
Be careful about how much you add. It is way too easy to overfill and that is not an easy fix. There are plenty of people who have hit the over fill. The tiny pop-up indicator can often stick in place so make sure it moves freely before you add anything.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd be much more concerned about where the missing coolant went to. The cooling system is a sealed system. It is not supposed to consume coolant. If your car is consuming coolant you have a cooling system leak. Leaks rarely fix themselves - they almost always cause a massive failure at the worst time in the worst situation possible.

I'd suggest perhaps bringing the car to a dealer or a good independent and have them find the source of the leak.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Be careful about how much you add. It is way too easy to overfill and that is not an easy fix. There are plenty of people who have hit the over fill. The tiny pop-up indicator can often stick in place so make sure it moves freely before you add anything.
Hi ajahern, What happens if you overfill the coolant tank? Other non vehicles I own simply burp it out through the overflow, but if truly sealed this can't happen. Please point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi ajahern, What happens if you overfill the coolant tank? Other non vehicles I own simply burp it out through the overflow, but if truly sealed this can't happen. Please point me in the right direction.
I'm not ajahern, but it's pretty simple. LOOK at your coolant tank cap. It has a pressure relief valve built into it. If the coolant is overfilled - there won't be enough air in the coolant tank to allow for the expansion of the coolant when it's heated - so any excess coolant will be burped out that valve - but ONLY excess coolant. Once there is enough air to compensate for the expansion of the coolant - it stops burping - returning to a sealed system. It is designed as a pressurized system - the pressure generated by the coolant expansion. By pressurizing the coolant you raise it's the boiling point, allowing the system to run hotter before boiling over (and allowing it to remain sealed.) When the coolant cools off - the same valve allows air into the system to make up for the contraction of the fluid as the system cools down.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry for the miss identification deilenberger and thinks for the information.

I am still not sure what the big issue would be with an overfill as there is a drain in the cap to let "burped" coolant out to the environment. Sounds like a self leveling system that if overfilled will return to optimum, but when under filled lets the operator know maintenance is required. What am I missing?

I do appreciate your input and that of others as this is the first Porsche I have ever owned and the engine location is new to me as well. I continue to learn a lot t on this forum that is not in the manual

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would have to question why it would be overfilled? The reservoir is right there, and a turkey baster could be used to remove any excess. There is no reason for it to be overfilled, and if the system burps - the smell will confuse anyone who would automatically start looking for a leak when the smell of hot coolant becomes evident.

I think we're seeing how many angels can dance on a pinhead here..

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
This “low coolant” warning popped up for me a week ago, while on a driving “tour” in Yosemite NP. Never had this before, so.. I was concerned. There are no Porsche dealers in the Nat Park, so I added about bottles of Aquafina or about 2 pints.
There has been NO leakage on garage floor — ever, and after drive home (about another 400 miles), no loss (well, the little indicator dropped to “add” — and about a couple table spoons of coolant brought the indicator to MAX.
So... my questions are: Just how often have folks seen this. Is it common for 981’s to run for 4 to 5 years within ever having to add fluid. Dealer did 40K service in FEB and the check list showed “OK” for coolant level.

Regardless, I’m calling my dealer today for a “What the heck?”....

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had the same as well when the car was about 4 years old, and have seen several other reports of the same. I added coolant, and all seemed OK.

Recently, however, I developed a coolant leak at the plug on this pipe (see highlighted). The pipe is located just ahead of the oil pan, and the drain plug is on the driver's side, so the angle of the attached picture would be looking from about the driver's door area toward the engine.

There was never anything on the ground, but I noticed dried coolant splashed up against the oil pan and around the area of the plug. It may be related to track use, but not sure. Another person developed the same problem and he tracks his car as well.

I would recommend inspecting that area and at the front side of the oil pan and see if you see any dried coolant. He ended up replacing that pipe, because there was a crack in the thread area. Replacing the plug did not help. I have a new pipe being shipped to me as we speak.

diagram.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Thanks.. great information.. I’ll check that area.
I did talk to the service manager at the dealer —- I‘ve known him for > 10 years and found him to be knowledable, etc. He didn’t seem to be very alarmed... but that was contingent on not seeing any leakage.. so, >>>.

I’ll check to be sure..

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts

Here’s a photo of the pimple area.. I don’t see any evidence of leakage...
Oh yea, I track my car twice a year, generally late spring.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would just add coolant and keep an eye on it.

The other areas known to leak are the coolant overflow container, the overflow container cap, and the cap in the trunk. The overflow container or overflow container cap usually have drips associated with them.

If you open the cap in the trunk and you see liquid or dry crusty coolant, you overflowed at some point. There is a small tube that drains that out. My hypothesis is the thermal expansion due to high track temps and sloshing due to cornering G-forces causes a small amount of overflow when you are driving. As the engine cools it creates a suction that sucks the coolant back in so you never see any dripping on the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
A follow up thought/question. After my "alarm" at the YOS National park and totally topping up the coolant with water (the bobber showed "max"), I drove for a few days. Not "alarm" but when I checked the level, the cobbler was close to min. I added water, it took only about 100mL for the bobber to pop up to "max". Again, after more driving (about 1500miles from the "alarm", the bobber is retreating, now a bit above "min". To my mind, there is definitely some coolant loss somewhere -- even if just a little. I won't be driving the car much over the holidays, but will bring it in for it "annual" check up and will have the tech get to the bottom of this mystery!

Again, i looked under the car and didn't see anything that looked like a leak. Other than that, the motor feels and sounds normal.
D

·
Registered
857 Posts
A follow up thought/question. After my "alarm" at the YOS National park and totally topping up the coolant with water (the bobber showed "max"), I drove for a few days. Not "alarm" but when I checked the level, the cobbler was close to min. I added water, it took only about 100mL for the bobber to pop up to "max". Again, after more driving (about 1500miles from the "alarm", the bobber is retreating, now a bit above "min". To my mind, there is definitely some coolant loss somewhere -- even if just a little. I won't be driving the car much over the holidays, but will bring it in for it "annual" check up and will have the tech get to the bottom of this mystery!

Again, i looked under the car and didn't see anything that looked like a leak. Other than that, the motor feels and sounds normal.
D
I have a question about this as well because I’ve had a similar experience. I just assumed that any excess coolant exited the system and that the useless bobber is not particularly aligned with the maximum fill mark for these cars. To me it just means “stop filling now”.

Is this a closed system? If you overfill it doesn’t excess coolant just end up on the road as your engine heats up?

If I’m wrong here someone please tell me. It sounds like we’re all filling up our cars with coolant, they are burping off the access, and then we’re looking at the useless bobber and topping them back up.

Am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
I have always noted that a car (doesn't matter brand) will end up leveling off at the low level and stay there. If you bring it to max, it just dumps it out during operation.
So save your coolant dollars for something else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts