Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got into car this afternoon and turned on my 2010 Cayman, the Low Coolant light came and Temp immediately shot to red zone, after 1 minute of driving all went off and car warmed up as usual??? Any ideas, it was the coldest I have run the vehicle with daily temps being at 10 degrees F when I got to work this morning and 29 degrees when I started it up this afternoon....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Make sure the coolant cap is on tight, but also listen for a high pitch sound coming from the engine. Mine ended up being the water pump. They say that you should replace them as preventative maintenance every six years

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The water pump replacement cycle is recommended every 4 years. The impeller degrades with age. Your coolant cap under the engine cover should have a part number ending in a 4. The older versions can leak slowly. Is your coolant actually low as seen at the fill port?

Rob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK checked coolant and cannot see any at all in the fill port, part number is 987.106.044.00, I guess I will fill and monitor?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Got into car this afternoon and turned on my 2010 Cayman, the Low Coolant light came and Temp immediately shot to red zone, after 1 minute of driving all went off and car warmed up as usual??? Any ideas, it was the coldest I have run the vehicle with daily temps being at 10 degrees F when I got to work this morning and 29 degrees when I started it up this afternoon....
I suggest you check your coolant for freeze protection--- (antifreeze concentration) One possibility is that at 10 degrees your radiators were frozen and could not flow. They will freeze long before the engine block. THEN consider changing the water pump and or the thermostat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suggest you check your coolant for freeze protection--- (antifreeze concentration) One possibility is that at 10 degrees your radiators were frozen and could not flow. They will freeze long before the engine block. THEN consider changing the water pump and or the thermostat.
Funny you should mention that, I talked to dealer and he said yea just fill it with water, I said u guys just fill with water and he said yea to top it off, Well if everybody just fills it with water then to your point the % mix will get off....and it did happen at the coldest point that I have ever started it....I went and got some coolant from the dealer and will fill up and monitor it....Thanks...

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
Funny you should mention that, I talked to dealer and he said yea just fill it with water, I said u guys just fill with water and he said yea to top it off, Well if everybody just fills it with water then to your point the % mix will get off....and it did happen at the coldest point that I have ever started it....I went and got some coolant from the dealer and will fill up and monitor it....Thanks...
make sure its distilled water you add.. not hose water.. or just porsche approved coolant.. the blue stuff.. the porsche ones are from concentrate .. and its make your own..

Lemon

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Ummm....no. Dealer should know better. Always fill with the proper coolant/antifreeze mix. In the case of the Porsche product, it's a 50-50 mix. As mentioned, always use distilled water. Porsche Antifreeze - 1 Gallon:Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories When mixed, it's pink...

·
Registered
832 Posts
If the coolant is low due to a cap leak just adding water will be ok. The cap lets only water vapor escape so only water needs to be added.

If there is an actual coolant leak then half the fluid that leaks out is anti-freeze and ideally the system should be topped up with a blend of anti-freeze and distilled water. However in a pinch one can use water alone as this doesn't dilute the coolant too much to compromise its resistance to freezing. But at some point the coolant's freezing threshold should be checked and the anti-freeze/water mixture adjusted to ensure sufficient freeze protection. I believe auto parts shops sell test strips that one can use for this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea i mixed the Porsche Antifreeze with Distilled water, Just funny it happened at the coldest start I ever had, just had 40,000 mile service done 2 months ago. It was down a total of 2 quarts of fluid, Hope they just did not check the fluid when it was in or I must have a leak somewhere, I will monitor and post if it turns into something else....Thanks for the comments....

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Zanzibar,
It is possible you had an air pocket that worked its way out. Monitor your coolant level over time. I found my water pump leaking slowly and it wasn't dripping out the bottom of the car. I found dried coolant on the engine under tray when it was removed.

Rob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just noticed a Hissing sound coming from behind the passenger side rear (above engine) when at stop light, it was in tune with the engine idle.... went away when I drove off, Happened twice this morning, not sure if it is related to the previous issue from yesterday???? Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
What position is your coolant bleeder valve in ( this is a wire "handle" on the coolant tank forward of the coolant tank filler - up is for bleeding the air out )?

I'd raise the car safely and pull the rear under tray to inspect for traces of coolant, wet or dry on the under tray and around the water pump and hoses. I believe the 9A1 water pumps are better than the M97 water pumps......

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just an FYI on Porsche coolant from my experience today. Checking the car out this morning and I was below the coolant minimum mark so I added two cups of distilled water and it was still low so I head down to Porsche to pick up a gallon of "official Porsche coolant" not knowing how much lower it was. With my PCA 10% discount it was $41.27 for a gallon! Added just over another full cup of coolant to bring it up to between MIN and MAX. Amazed I didn't get a low coolant warning. Prior to my check temp remained as normal while driving and no spots on the garage floor. I hadn't checked the coolant since early September. Note to self: Check coolant more frequently! With just over 28k miles hoping this isn't the downward spiral of my water pump and was just some evaporation from driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts