Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for an amplified soundpackage plus to send low level hiss sound to the speakers when the ignition is off but the electronics are turned on but no radio/cd is playing? is that just the amplifier sending its signal to the speakers? Slightly annoying...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw that..that thread appears to be about interference..this isn't any cell phone interference..it is low level hiss w/ the volume at 0.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same issue with my Cayman as well, wonder if replacing the amp to one with higher quality electronics would clean up the noise? Anyone replaced just the amp?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Service dept ordered a new amp..keep you posted..
I took my 2009 in for service and they found another 2010 Cayman with the sound package plus that had the same problem and reported it as within spec. Leads me to believe that it is probably the circuitry design in the amp, maybe you will get an updated amp.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rear hatch issue resolved. They can't figure out the buzz even after replacing the amp. It's quite audible. Right now, we've submitted a ticket to Porsche in Germany and waiting response. Boy do they move slow!

Anyone else have this?

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Low level hiss with the car off? Yes. Never heard a for sure explanation. I've speculated that the audio may be on to provide the various warning chimes. Key left in the ignition etc but the chimes don't sound like the come from the speakers.

And in my case it is very low level. If there's any other ambient noise I can't hear it.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Then you've got something very different than me or others that have noticed low level hiss. Definitely keep on the dealer about it as that isn't right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tried to ground both the radio and the amp ground wires to the ground on the battery..still nothing..going to another dealer tomorrow..

·
Registered
806 Posts
To add another data point: I have this hiss/static too.

I have a gen 1 with Bose and PCM. I always leave the PCM on when I turn the car off (which means the radio is on). Last night, I was getting something out of the footwell and heard the static. I had to put my ear right next to the speaker to hear it. This is with the key out of the car. I just verified it this morning. The car has been sitting over night, I opened the driver's door, and heard the hiss. I leave a CD in the drive and I can hear the CD drive spinning up when I open the door, so obviously something is powering up when the door is opened. This is before I put the key in.

I suspect this is normal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts