Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing 70k mile 2006 CS for around $25k
but then see ultra low mile CS for around $35k. Does it make sense to spend an extra 10k?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Difficult to answer. It's on a case by case basis for the most part. However I think if you are going to drive it alot you could get by with the higher mileage. If it's going to be a garage queen may make more sense to go with the lower mileage options.

·
Registered
892 Posts
In March I was pondering the same question. $35k for an S was more than I wanted to spend. I could find low mile non S cars for around $25k but decided on a 62000 mile S for a little over $25k. Only been around 4000 miles but I think it I made the right choice. No issues so far and I really like the 6 speed gear box and the big brakes. If it falls apart in the near future, I will post up but it seems like a solid car so far and I dont abuse it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To me it would depend on whether or not there was a substantial difference in the overall quality of the cars beyond just the odometers. If the higher mileage cars showed paint chips, curb rash on the wheels, interior wear, etc, and if the ultra-low mileage car was closer to showroom, then possibly the extra $ could be worth it. I went through the same thought process last Thanksgiving and ended up paying a bit more for a 2010 S with 3500 miles on it. The fact that it might just as well have been brand new clinched it for me.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
One other thing to consider is the maintenance records/receipts. In fact I think a well maintained car that has more miles but with extensive maintenance records, might be of equal value to a low mileage car with spotty records. And don't forget the options of course, some can add considerable costs such as Bi headlights, navigation, Bose sound, etc.

Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Registered
110 Posts
One other thing to consider is the maintenance records/receipts. In fact I think a well maintained car that has more miles but with extensive maintenance records, might be of equal value to a low mileage car with spotty records. And don't forget the options of course, some can add considerable costs such as Bi headlights, navigation, Bose sound, etc.
I'm not sure that would be conclusive as the 987 requires only minor maintenance in its pre-100k miles. As long as the 40k maintenance was done and oil intervals are in check, you're probably getting into a good car.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I do not think the premium is worth it. I'd go with the higher mileage car, assuming it is cosmetically similar and has been serviced. These engines will last a couple hundred thousand miles if treated properly, so the extra miles aren't a huge deal.

Look at it this way: if you buy the lower mileage car and drive it 30K miles over 2-3 years, it will now be worth something less than the high miles car. The high miles car is likely to have already hit the steepest part of the depreciation curve. Why buy into the front end of that value drop with the low miles car?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It ain't the gross miles; rather it's the kind of miles. Ideal is less miles driven like an 80 year old Nun. Seen race engines torn down after 500 miles with almost zero wear. Seen same engine, same or even less distance, same car, same driver, BUT allot of up and down revs / shifts and the cylinder walls are completely shot from piston skirt slap and excessive end play at the crank. Get a dealer DME report and pay close attention to the prior owner's personality. Better yet, buy a car from a woman like I was lucky to do.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I think that $10k vs low miles is like a Vegas football spread...it is set at just the right amount where, after long debate and consideration, you can choose either way and end up very happy or very sad!

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I'm not sure that would be conclusive as the 987 requires only minor maintenance in its pre-100k miles. As long as the 40k maintenance was done and oil intervals are in check, you're probably getting into a good car.
I believe the 987 requires a bit more maintenance that that frankly. A change of all fluids every other year, oil at 3-5k, but agree that the 987 are very solid cars, just more solid with more maintenance :gossip:, especially if you were not the original owner (I wasn't for my 06CS). I have no problems driving it like I stole it, but I also maintain it lovingly :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I believe the 987 requires a bit more maintenance that that frankly. A change of all fluids every other year, oil at 3-5k, but agree that the 987 are very solid cars, just more solid with more maintenance :gossip:, especially if you were not the original owner (I wasn't for my 06CS). I have no problems driving it like I stole it, but I also maintain it lovingly :)
Don't get me wrong, things can be done earlier as precautionary measures. I get the feeling we are similar in the respect that we go above and beyond the recommended intervals. MT fluid changes are recommended every 120k miles, so if there's a receipt for one change prior to the 60k mile mark, I'd give it a thumbs up. Coolant is "life time" per Porsche quote although a flush every few years wouldn't hurt.

What I'm saying is if the scheduled maintenance has been taken care of, Porsche believes you're stepping into a cared-for vehicle.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
It ain't the gross miles; rather it's the kind of miles. Ideal is less miles driven like an 80 year old Nun. Seen race engines torn down after 500 miles with almost zero wear. Seen same engine, same or even less distance, same car, same driver, BUT allot of up and down revs / shifts and the cylinder walls are completely shot from piston skirt slap and excessive end play at the crank. Get a dealer DME report and pay close attention to the prior owner's personality. Better yet, buy a car from a woman like I was lucky to do.
Be careful with the stereotypes. I met my wife while we were competing in a SCCA event. She still has her SCCA Competition license, and I guarantee you that you wouldn't want to buy a used car from her. She is far from a "gentle" driver.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My car is an 06 CS. I bought it back in January. It was a 9,200 mile garage queen equipped with PCCB, sport seats, sport shifter, bose surround, bi-xenons and factory badge delete. They were asking $35,000. I ended up getting it for $29,500. Even if I had paid $35,000 I think it would have been worth it. The car is in new condition. And even at $35k its less than half of the original MSRP on my window sticker.

BTW I did still have a PPI performed the dealership despite the super low mileage.

·
Registered
895 Posts
That is a smokin' deal.

Eddie

My car is an 06 CS. I bought it back in January. It was a 9,200 mile garage queen equipped with PCCB, sport seats, sport shifter, bose surround, bi-xenons and factory badge delete. They were asking $35,000. I ended up getting it for $29,500. Even if I had paid $35,000 I think it would have been worth it. The car is in new condition. And even at $35k its less than half of the original MSRP on my window sticker.

BTW I did still have a PPI performed the dealership despite the super low mileage.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
To me it is like a math problem, for instance if you drive 7,500 miles a year, the cost of the car, plus the the value after the number of years you think you will own it, and if buy something that has 15,000 miles that would be 2 years of use, I bought my car for less than 1/2 of new cost, it was 5 years old 2008 CS 14,000 miles, owned it for 2.5 years, has went down in value maybe 3,000.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Don't get me wrong, things can be done earlier as precautionary measures. I get the feeling we are similar in the respect that we go above and beyond the recommended intervals. MT fluid changes are recommended every 120k miles, so if there's a receipt for one change prior to the 60k mile mark, I'd give it a thumbs up. Coolant is "life time" per Porsche quote although a flush every few years wouldn't hurt.

What I'm saying is if the scheduled maintenance has been taken care of, Porsche believes you're stepping into a cared-for vehicle.
I understand and I agree

·
Registered
38 Posts
Be careful with the stereotypes. I met my wife while we were competing in a SCCA event. She still has her SCCA Competition license, and I guarantee you that you wouldn't want to buy a used car from her. She is far from a "gentle" driver.
Well there 'ya go.... "met & competing & SCCA event" is all I need to hear! Now where's dat DME report... ??? ;-)

·
Registered
479 Posts
The problem with low mileage cars is you're paying a premium for the condition - but it will need rounds of maintenance very soon.

Likely it hasn't had brakes, tires, spark plugs, filters, fluids changed etc. - it's coming up on a major service.

Then there's the AOS, clutch, and water pump. You'll never know when they fail - but they will.

The CV boots have shrunk over time and will likely leak grease in your ownership.

The hood/hatch shocks give out. Battery should probably be replaced soon if original.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts