Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 BS with sport chrono package has developed a strange symptom. It's a very loud creak (you can even feel the vibration from the creak; it's that loud) that only shows up under the following circumstances:

1. At very low speed (e.g. entering a driveway or parking space, only while turning, and not just from going over a bump (e.g. it does not seem to happen when going straight over a speed bump).
2. Only after the car has been driven for a while (does not seem to happen first thing in the morning, for example).
3. Now that I'm driving in colder weather, it only seems to happen in ambient temps over say 40-45F or so.

Yes, of course I will take it in eventually--the new-car warranty is still in effect and I also have the CPO--but since it is a somewhat intermittent problem I would like to avoid the dreaded "no problem found" at the dealer. (It is only intermittent in that it happens under specific conditions--if I've driven a while in warm weather and then turn into my driveway, I can virtually guarantee that it will happen).

The creak sounds and actually feels as if it's coming from the rear of the car.

Based on the symptoms, and the apparent temperature-dependent nature of the effect, I am doubting it is directly related to the suspension (I do not have PASM by the way).

My conjecture is that this might be a problem with the SC dynamic transmission mounts that shows up once they are hot. Putting the transmission into S or S+ does not seem to have an impact.

Has anyone else ever had this particular issue, or does anyone know enough in detail about how the dynamic transmission mounts work to hazard a guess what the fix to this problem might be?

·
Registered
568 Posts
This happened in my 2007 Cayman S. I was the plastic/ nylon bushings on top of the shock towers. It only happened when I was turning the wheel. Dealer replaced and all was well. If yours is indeed coming from the rear then disregard.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Try recording it. Impossible to know what you're talking about with just 'creak'. For starters, it can be plastic on plastic, plastic on metal, or metal on metal. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try recording it. Impossible to know what you're talking about with just 'creak'. For starters, it can be plastic on plastic, plastic on metal, or metal on metal. Good luck.
I'm pretty sure it's metal on metal; I guess it could be a bushing, but almost certain one end is going to be the frame or directly bound to the frame. It's not just a sound; while it's happening I can put my hand, e.g., on the back of the passenger seat and feel the vibration that's causing the sound, and I can even feel it in my butt and back (not through the steering wheel however). It's almost a "groan." I don't know whether a recording of it would be all that useful honestly. Whatever it is, it is not some light rubbing (e.g. not two pieces of thin plastic scraping). I would say both ends of the interaction are stiff and a fair amount of force is involved.

I saw the thread on the creak resulting from a cracked suspension component. I would think it was something like that if not for the odd situations in which it occurs (apparently temperature dependent, very low speed, not over bumps specifically but rather on turning.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check the rear lower control arm where it mounts to the aluminum sub frame. I had the same noise and the sub frame was cracked right where the arm bolts through it. There was a gap was about 1/8". If you get down on the ground you can see the head of the bolts on each side That's where mine cracked. It was so bad that you could see the gap from 4' away.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Check the rear lower control arm where it mounts to the aluminum sub frame.
You know, was cleaning pictures, and saw one that made me think of this thread (saved it as a 'possible issue'. And could be yours:)), and just came back to post about it... but you beat me to it;). Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words. An easy check OP.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.