Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After repeated scrapes going in and out of my driveway, the lower front rubber lip pulled loose and deformed in such a way that it will not go back in place. I can spend $200+ and tear up another one or leave it off. At "normal aka reasonably legal" interstate cruising, will this have any detrimental affect on cooling, stability, etc? And yes, the driveway issue will be addressed this summer/fall.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm not sure the lower lip rubber piece does much aerodynamically. Seems to me it's more there to warn the driver that they will damage the actual bumper if they continue doing whatever they're doing that's causing the rubber to scrape.

Have you considered a temp fix to your driveway until the final solution? They sell plastic forms designed to fill storm gutters at the end of driveways while still allowing water to flow as intended.

·
Registered
703 Posts
As long as the rear spoiler isn't up, the impact should be negligible. Once the spoiler is up the loss of aero would potentially effect stability, due to there being more lift on the front. I'm not an aero engineer, but I've learned that balancing lift, especially on a 911, is important. And the little things can be more significant than they look.

I've had to reinstall mine once already and I've only driven the car a dozen times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a 1.5 hour drive yesterday at "reasonably legal" speeds on the interstate with no negative impacts (at least that I could feel). The driveway issue is not at the curb but rather further up at a sharp grade change. We will likely level it out later this summer when we construct a garage and make other improvements.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah I can't see that rubber lip (or lack thereof) having any impact on stability. Any true aero part would need to extend ahead of the "bumper lip" like the GT3.

Pretty sure they made it rubber knowing it's a wear part. I scrape every time I leave my driveway and expect to replace it one day.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I just noticed mine is torn and a little loose. I will probably have to have the work done at my dealer or the indy. What is the replacement cost? I am guessing around $300 - $500?

Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Tire Grille

·
Registered
703 Posts
It’s held on by a bunch of tabs and 2 screws. Unless it’s torn, you can put it back on for nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thanks for the response.

It appears to be torn on the right side, and the tabs aren't clicking back in on the left. I will try to get under it (don't have access to a lift or stands at this time) and see if I can better determine what happened. I did scrape a sidewalk some time ago so I must have damaged it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sun coast Porsche has this part on sale for a couple hundred bucks. If you know someone with a lift, the repair should take a couple minutes but the paint is probably scuffed. I would live with paint scuff because it will happen again.

·
Registered
607 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Followup: Contacted my service guy at the dealer and they thought they could take a look and fix it for a nominal charge. Waiting on it right at this moment as they worked me right in at Baker Porsche in Charleston.

Update:

The charge: $0.00. Nominal indeed. :)

I had been a little worried in the past year that since I bought my car used locally that I might not get the same attention as someone who bought the vehicle from them. That worry has been proven to be completely unfounded. They seem to understand only good things from from customers being treated via the golden rule and I am duly impressed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.