Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

361 - 380 of 455 Posts
I have a Guard in my GT3 and will put one in the Cayman if I pull the trigger next week. The quaife is great for Autocross, Guard can not be beat for the track. Have any of you gone from a GT3 to a Cayman? How long did it take to get used to going slower? I have always like the look of the Cayman but now that a 350HP is possible and the Sport version I might make the move.
I went from a 2006 Cayman S to a 2007 GT3 and back to a 2008 Cayman S. The Cayman goes faster because it has not spent the 12 weeks the GT3 spent in the shop before it was bought back for repeated rear main seal leaks (count them four in 11 months) As much as the GT3 is a great car with absolute explosive power the Cayman is day to day more fun. Now to get a LSD put in.

The Interseries Caymans are using the factory-equipped LSD's. I haven't heard any complaints about them.

Thats re ensuring to know, I asked the question because I've read some stuff on the site implying the factory LSD doesn't holdup.

Does anyone know if the OEM LSD can be sourced from Porsche? I contacted Suncoast and their reply was that it comes as a whole unit with the transmission and not separately. Seems odd since it's technically a "wear item". If anyone has a part number for just a diff, I would be extremely curious what the cost is.

any follow-up on the factory LSDs? are they holding up on the track? how much lock-up do they come with? anyone had the chance to compare the factory LSDs with the guard LSDs or quaife ATBs?

-scott.

any follow-up on the factory LSDs? are they holding up on the track?
I recall hearing that at least a few of them are being replaced with aftermarket units of a better build quality.

I believe Guard will be or may now be offering units for the 09. Hopefully before this track season is over they will have a unit available for the PDK units.

The idea of purchasing a factory LSD for my PDK is a bit much. I think Porsche has gone a bit overboard with their packaging for shipping the unit across the pond. I don't need an entire PDK transmission wrapped around my LSD. Some good bubble wrap and cardboard will do nicely.

Ok I haven't tracked the CS, but I can definitely feel the difference turning tight corners especially mountain twisties. The car just propels forward with ease. I couldn't imagine the croc without LSD. Please don't just opt for LSD just for track use, it's useful for the street and & twisties I'm so glad I have it.

Has anyone ever checked out the WaveTrac TBD?

The technical explanation looks intriguing. Kind of the best of both worlds.

Something I don't understand: how can Quaife claim patents on the Torsen differential when it was invented by an American named Vernon Gleasman (who patented it in 1958), and is (was?) manufactured by JTECT Torsen North America? Even if Quaife purchased the manufacturing rights, does that give them the right to imply that they invented the thing?

BRAND NEW FREE TBD LSD DIFF

I'm gonna do you guys a solid and give the LSD diff away for free.

I will give this diff for FREE to the 1st person to paypal me shipping and handling costs--$75 + 3% for WEST COAST--$100 + 3% EAST COAST.

It would be great if you would also create a new thread on it after you install it with feedback for other members.

My paypal address is: arafromwillows@hotmail.com

Diff is on its way.

Tracking info emailed to you.
Diff arrived in great shape, just as you advertised.....thanks!

I have it disassembled and the inside machining is much better quality than I was expecting, after reading the threads posted above by "g t". (those threads were immensely helpful btw) OBX must have tightened the quality control a bit since those threads were posted, at least on this one they did. I've sent off for replacement bolts and washers just to be safe but other than a good cleaning inside I don't see any real additional machining that will need to be done.

Diff arrived in great shape, just as you advertised.....thanks!

I have it disassembled and the inside machining is much better quality than I was expecting, after reading the threads posted above by "g t". (those threads were immensely helpful btw) OBX must have tightened the quality control a bit since those threads were posted, at least on this one they did. I've sent off for replacement bolts and washers just to be safe but other than a good cleaning inside I don't see any real additional machining that will need to be done.

That's good to know.

Now if there's any extra money in the bank, send it my way!

Guys with the guard clutch lsd:how noisy is it during daily drives or in tight turns in carparks? I had a range of clutch type lsds in different cars over the years and they range from unbearable (car jumps on u turns) to mild clicks to no noise at all. Am cautious here as my 987 is going to be daily driven. Thanks

361 - 380 of 455 Posts