Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went through this M2 thread on Bimmerpost. The conversation is heated at times with a decent level of backlash against the 718. And while we're mostly fanboys on this forum, I'd love to have everyone's objective opinion about the ways in which the M2 is a better car the 718 and vice versa. Personally, I used to drive a 135i and l really liked this car. In fact I wish I could have kept it if I didn't have move to San Francisco. Since I'm coming back to Boston I'm hesitating between the M2 and the 718. Despite my positive experience with the 135, I'm heavily leaning towards the Porsche. I also had the chance to drive the new Cayman and the M2 back to back last month. The M2 is an amazing machine but I didn't get the connection I got with the Porsche. Kind of difficult to describe: I would own the M2 but I would really love to own the Cayman. Anyways, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

·
Registered
268 Posts
The M2 is an amazing machine but I didn't get the connection I got with the Porsche. Kind of difficult to describe: I would own the M2 but I would really love to own the Cayman.
If your driving is not strictly transportation and enjoyment plays a part, you have answered your own question.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I owned an m2 briefly, 2017 performance edition with dct. Tested many 718s on the lot, then one day drove a used 981c with manual and knew it was perfect. I traded the BMW for the Porsche and after years of giving BMW every chance to prove they are still driver's cars, I'm very disappointed by the brand. The Porsche wins in every category except two, answering my coworkers questions about what I drive and back seats. The BMW feels heavy, has body roll and the instant torque causes the car to be snappy. And this is suppose to be the car sets BMW back on the market? No.

But honestly,
Bmws transmissions are inferior. Dct is not as intelligent as PDK, and their manuals are very vague. The start-off assist and other intervention systems make the car basically drive itself.

Yes the m2 looks aggressive and sounds good for a turbo car. But that's all I ended up enjoy in the car was standing outside looking back at it. Behind the wheel it was just an overdressed 228i. Every Porsche from a humble base to a gt model feels Motorsport derived.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have driven both the 718S and M2 over a period of six days (town/twisties/track - 3 days each, one day on track) last year.

I will say this, I was putting around 3 seconds a lap on the M2 - which is huge. The reasons being, the Cayman is more agile, stops better under brakes, better turn in, carries more corner speed, maintains traction better, has better exit speed and is more composed.

In reality, the Cayman is in a different league thanks to its superb chassis and very responsive engine.

Fit and finish is also in a different league. I don't know why the Bimmer guys get so wound up - the Cayman or for that matter, the 911 is a purpose built sports car. All you have to do is put them a hoist and you can see why you pay more for the Porsche.

·
Registered
525 Posts
One is a sports car and the other is an entry level BMW that's been made a little faster. No comparison. Tested an M2 for a week, was all right but I wouldn't spend my money on it. Very little engine sound and the sound you do get is meh for a straight six. No better than the 718's flat four.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I wasn't able to test a M2 at the time I was considering due to all of the pre-sold M2s. But, I did test an M240i and an M4. For the money of my CS build, it was in a well-equipped M4 price range.

While I enjoyed the M240i and M4 for different reasons, neither came close to feeling like a true driver's car which is exactly what I was seeking. While I am sure the M2 would have been the sweet spot of the two BMWs I did consider, steering feel, driving position, and cockpit layout were all lacking for me.

There's a reason the Cayman came in 2nd place for MT's best driver's car (only to a 488 which is more than 2x the price). And, there's a reason why C&D commented on the Cayman during its 2017 Lightning Lap with something like... "while some cars were quicker around the track, no driver outside the Cayman was having as much fun behind the wheel." <-- paraphrasing

·
Registered
148 Posts
I came to the 718 Cayman from a 228i M Sport, which I still have (selling it privately). I've driven an M2 once, for about 10 minutes, so I have a basic understanding of how my BMW and it differ.

I'm also (still) a very active member of Bimmerpost, particularly 2Addicts.com.

Everything is sharper in the 718. Everything is more substantial in the 718. Everything is more visceral in the 718. But, at the same time, everything is smoother in the 718. Everything is more composed in the 718. Everything is just plain more enjoyable in the 718.

There is absolutely no comparison. The only BMW I'll likely ever own again would be from BMW Motorrad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.