Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1998 BMW M3 looks like it probably has a cracked cylinder head. If so, it is done, as I am not spending the $6500 to fix it. We need a replacement car soon. Never a good idea to buy a car in a rush, but need to get serious now on a Cayman purchase.

First thing, can someone point me to links or posts where people have driven, tested, or lived with the Cayman 2.7. I have test driven the 2.7 and S, and felt the 2.7 was fine, but want thoughts on performance from those who have lived it with a while.

What value does one normally assign to an extended warranty or certified vehicle? I sure don't want to face a repair like the M3 presented me!

First thing to decide is if the 2.7 is good for me, and what long term owners think. I can spend much more than I am willing to spend, and would like to stay at no more than $38,000 (excluding taxes, etc.).

- Phil

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
At that price you might consider a CPO 06S. Maybe a non CPO 07. I have an 08S and from what the dealer told me I guess it's worth low 40s. So you'll probably get a lot of non S for that money.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The increased torque of the S is nice. I would personally go older to get the S rather than newer for a non S. But, of course, this is very subjective. If possible, I would test drive an S and a non-S back-to-back.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but here are some threads that look at the choice between the 2.7 and S:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-chat/39959-09-cayman-base-06-08-cayman-s.html
http://www.planet-9.com/porsche-sales-leasing/39886-choice-2-cpos-help.html
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/40304-cayman-2-7-abilities.html
http://www.planet-9.com/porsche-sales-leasing/39490-new-2008-cayman-versus-2007-2006s.html

Adding a Porsche CPO warranty seems to add about $2500 to the price of a car, but it does significantly extend the duration of the warranty (and your peace of mind IMO).

The good news is that you can't go wrong getting either the S or 2.7. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Check out cars.com and autotrader.

I can only speak for socal, but if looking locally you can definitely get a CPO 2.7 cayman under your price ceiling. They generally have 20-30k miles. If you look out of state you'll generally find even lower milage cars for a few grand cheaper. Looking out of state will also put lower mileage S cars in your price range.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I continue to be surprised at how much more Cayman S's are than Boxster S's. I bought my 06 Boxster S with 30k miles, CPO, PCM, Sport Chrono, Sport Shift, Power/Heated seats, etc. etc. for under $30K. Seems like comparable Caymans (Caymen??) are 10K more.

Just an observation....

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Am visiting the local dealer today. Not much inventory. Thoughts on this car?

2007 Cayman S - CPO
43,000 miles (higher than I would like)
Artic Silver, Black Standard Leather
404 - Porsche Turbo 19" Wheels
P16 - PCM 2.1

$42,999

I think it should be more like $39,000.

- Phil

·
Registered
139 Posts
but want thoughts on performance from those who have lived it with a while.
- Phil
I've had one for 2 years and change. The performance is far better than my old car and anything I have routinely driven and so I find it quite fine. Day to day it provides more than enough fun and frankly you can rarely come close to its limits without breaking multiple traffic laws. On occasion, I've found myself in the wrong gear and its kind of lugged and I've done some DEs and sometimes you want more power coming out of slow turns or going up hills. The car handles corners so well that I've found myself all over higher hp 911s in the turns, then they give me the passing signal when the straight comes, and it takes some time to get by them. On the other hand, a lot of people have a lot of fun at DEs with older cars that can't hold a candle to the 2.7 Cayman in any way. Since the sale price on my car new was a little under $45, I imagine you can do a lot better than $39K. If you are just going to drive it on the road, no question I would go with the 2.7 and pocket the difference.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have just returned from driving a 2007 Cayman 2.7. I drove it back to back against my 1998 BMW M3. The 2.7 surprised me. In the lower gears, it is more energetic than expected. On the freeway in 5th, it accelerates without a lot of verve, but it is not dead either. When I put my foot into it, it seems to deliver a bit less than part throttle response might lead you to believe, but still it does OK. The M3 out torques the Cayman at lower rpm, and would probably give the egde in all out acceleration to the Cayman. Overall, pretty good, and better than expected. If a good 2.7 comes along, I would take it I think.

- Phil

·
Registered
184 Posts
I made the same transition. Traded my 98 M3 for a 2.7. I completely agree with what you said. The M3 has more low end torque so it felt faster around town. If you are able to wind out the Cayman it definitely feels faster up top. Unfortunately, I don't get to wind my Cayman out often enough. An S would be the best of both worlds but at this point it's not worth the differential for me to upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts