Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

M96 Dry Sump System

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  diverdog 
#1 · (Edited)
I've thought about rolling my own dry sump and reached out to Dailey engineering about it. They referred me to Chris Cervilli who has a very clever system available for Cayman & Boxter. He developed it for his track Boxter. This is a track only solution or a very hard core street / track car as you will lose your AC compressor and some trunk space for the oil tank.

He uses the main oil pump to scavenge the pan, routes the oil out the filter port to the storage tank. The 15 qt. tank has an integrated filter, air / oil separator, dip stick and even an optional heater. The tank feeds the pressure stage of the external oil pump. The external oil pump has 3 scavenging sections and an air/oil separator. Suction points are the back of each head and the IMS cover.

Not a cheap solution since the engine needs to come out of the car but if you are replacing a blown engine it's out anyway. This looks to be as good as it gets for an M96 or M97

"CHRIS CERVELLI" CHRISCERVELLI@msn.com 303 809 6173

#4 ·
worth the $ if its bulletproof. The other "fixes" on the market don't prevent oil starvation. I think I've seen everything fail, accusump, TTP oil safe kit, deep baffles... Only solution I believe in is keep the M97 off the track unless you can afford an engine replacement.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm so annoyed about parts vendor delays I had Vision install a mini beer keg so I can start drinking before I get towed in when the car breaks! LOL

A nice sturdy box was fabricated and installed in the passenger seat well for the Peterson 3 gallon dry sump tank. There is no room in the engine area or frunk for the tank.

Chris Cervelli was kind enough to sell Vision the pump bracket, crank pulley and pump drive so we didn't need to fabricate them. Sometimes things are a bit easier that planned for.

So the engine will have two stacked Porsche scavenge pumps on each cylinder head, the inner pumps will scavenge the front of the heads and the outer the turbos. They dump to the existing sump. The new Dailey pump will scavenge the rear of each head and the front of the sump. It will dump directly to the dry sump tank. The existing internal pressure pump will scavenge the sump and dump it to the sump tank. The Dailey has one pressure section drawing from the sump tank. Oil capacity will be around 15 quarts.

I'm very pleased that this is getting done along with the aero mods as we will be driving tracks with very long high speed turns and the gee forces will be very high.

Attachments

#10 ·
At this point, why not swap the engine for a DFI like I did? Makes just as much power as my 4.0L Vision did at the wheels with the right tune and exhaust and no exploding motor. Was it expensive, hell yeah, but now I don't worry, no more burning oil, no more nothing. And if that's not enough, Vision will see you a bigger motor too!

#11 ·
Charlie, Vision has done a swap like that in Duane Selby's Cayman. DFI + PDK. It's worked out quite well for him so far. I my case a turbo engine would have been quite complicated and very expensive. So far the oil pressure has been a rock solid with the new dry sump on my TT 4.0L

#12 ·
I forgot about the Twin Turbos on your sled..... I swapped my motor for a 3.4 DFI with a manual out of a salvage Cayman two years ago. It has been really great. It makes 340 at the wheels vs. the 360 I made with my 4.0 L Vision Motor. Admittedly, that's quite a difference, but given the way classes work out, I need to add ballast anyway in my series.

#13 ·
The system worked great with rock solid OP at the very high G forces huge slicks and downforce make possible. Unfortunately the heads on the M97 are lifting under boost and I've moved on to using a 996 TT with an integrated dry sump system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.