Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to hear from anyone who has bought a Macan. Did you get PASM? Air suspension? Torque Vectoring? Which wheels?

My local dealer is telling me that he hasn't sold any cars with PASM. None. It seems odd. He tells me most people upgrade to the 20" Spyder Design wheels, but that's about it for performance options. His argument is that it's an SUV, not a Cayman. PASM will never be in the Sport mode unless I track the Macan and air suspension is for off-roading. (I won't be doing either.) Ditto for Torque Vectoring.

I guess most people are buying the Premium Plus package with the 18-way seats and the Infotainment package. It doesn't sound like people are upgrading to the Bose surround system.

Thanks for your feedback.

Martin S.
Los Angeles

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
My father in law just ordered a Macan S and got no performance options. I talked him out of the SC package that he was leaning towards. He was going to get the spyder wheels but apparently you can't get all seasons on it so he skipped this option. He got the infotainment with bose and premium with 14 way seats. He also got full leather two tone and the aluminum gas caps. Some other goodies that I forget.

·
Super Moderator
13,828 Posts
PASM and PASM w/Air suspension is a very popular combination. Turbos come standard with PASM so your salesman is off base. In fact, many people order PTV+ as well.

I was looking at a buying a Turbo, checked this all out, and your salesmen might be accurate for that one dealership but clearly not nationally.

You can go to the PorscheUSA site and look at the used cars in the national search, all turbos. Turbos come with PASM. ALL of them have SC and some have PTV+

AS lowers the vehicle at highway speeds. It makes the car more planted. PTV+, I'm not so convinced is necessary. Spyder wheels are NOT a performance option as much as the Turbo wheels which are forged and lighter and only come with summer tires. Sport mode you can use ALL the time. Sport +, and SC, you get launch control and, of course, the PDK shift points move upwards and might not be needed.

Don't let this salesman sway you from ordered the performance options if that is what you want.

BTW, Spyder wheels come STANDARD with All season tires. Summer tires are available. The 21" 911 Turbo Design wheels come only with summer tires. Spyder wheels have to be terrible to clean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great information. Thanks for the feedback

My plan was to get PASM but not Air Suspension. It sounds like AS does more than I realized, so I may have to reconsider. I've never been a fan of Sport Chrono or launch control.

Yes, the Spyder wheels look like a bitch to clean. But they do come with larger tires than the stock wheels.

·
Super Moderator
13,828 Posts
Great information. Thanks for the feedback

My plan was to get PASM but not Air Suspension. It sounds like AS does more than I realized, so I may have to reconsider. I've never been a fan of Sport Chrono or launch control.

Yes, the Spyder wheels look like a bitch to clean. But they do come with larger tires than the stock wheels.
Your SA sounds like he doesn't know so much.

Read the reviews and Porsche literature. AS is a popular performance option. There are several choices for 20" wheels, all which get you 295s in the rear, bigger than 981s. The 21" forged wheels are a bit of overkill but still popular. SC is probably useless because you won't drive this car on a track.

A Macan Turbo is faster 0 - 60 than a 981S and as fast as a 981GTS. The CUV is marketing as a sports car of CUVs and many reviews call it similar to a Cayman.

I believe a lot of the marketing is toward empter nesters or people with young children that want 981 straight line performance on normal DD but back seats. A Macan Turbo S would give it base 991 straight line performance. The torque curve is totally flat. They have a winner here and know it.

One thing is that these cars are quiet. I've been in them, listened to the engine, etc, and they are quiet. PSE will be here if you order now if you dont want it so quiet.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
13,828 Posts
... PASM will never be in the Sport mode unless I track the Macan and air suspension is for off-roading. (I won't be doing either.)
BTW, this is nonsense too.

1. I understand that the Macan in PASM sport mode is softer than a 991 in normal mode. Since I have a 991, I consider SPASM in normal mode soft and in sport mode not much stiffer. Porsche probably knew what they were doing and PASM does not equal PASM across all models.

2. Do read the Porsche literature. AS, which can be used for softroading, is also used on the highway for lowering the CUV to more of a sport sedan stance. In fact, you could consider this as a sports sedan with softroading ability for those that do not want a huge, full size Panny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ordered a Macan S w/ PASM, 19" wheels, premium package (mainly for rear camera) in Agate Grey. Pretty basic. Get it sometime in Nov.

Dave
Sierra Vista, AZ

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
First, full disclosure: I'll never own an SUV.

That said, however, having seen the nice new Macan, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would still be interested in the Cayenne, which in my view is basically an overpriced morbidly obese Macan.

·
Super Moderator
13,828 Posts
First, full disclosure: I'll never own an SUV.

That said, however, having seen the nice new Macan, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would still be interested in the Cayenne, which in my view is basically an overpriced morbidly obese Macan.

Because the Macan is a compact CUV. Backseat has little room. It's meant of soft roading, gravel, snow, etc. The Cayenne has lots of rear seat room and is a true 4 x 4 , like a Range Rover, Jeep, etc. go off road into Canyonlands, etc.

BIG difference.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Because the Macan is a compact CUV. Backseat has little room. It's meant of soft roading, gravel, snow, etc. The Cayenne has lots of rear seat room and is a true 4 x 4 , like a Range Rover, Jeep, etc. go off road into Canyonlands, etc.

BIG difference.
Each to his own, but I'm always amazed at how much space my fellow Americans typically need in order to feel comfortable--whether it's back seat space or house space or any other space. This has got to be cultural, as in other places most people seem to have a very different sense of space.

My old MR2 was much smaller inside than the new CS and the most common complaint I heard was that it was too small. I'm 6' tall and, except for the headroom, to this day I have no idea what they were talking about. I'm still adjusting to the (from my perspective, unnecessarily) big interior of the CS--not my favorite feature in a car I'm otherwise mostly in love with. Come to think of it, I wouldn't have minded if the outside was the size of a 356 too. We're all different.

·
Super Moderator
13,828 Posts
My old MR2 was much smaller inside than the new CS and the most common complaint I heard was that it was too small. I'm 6' tall and, except for the headroom, to this day I have no idea what they were talking about.
We had both an 88 supercharged and 91 turbo, both new and at the same time. Compared to the supercharged model, the turbo was HUGE. My wife hated the turbo because she thought it was a boat.

88 mr2 = 155"
91 mr2 = 164" Big jump

A 2014 CS = 172"
991 = 177"

When buying our Cayman, the wife considered it a huge ocean liner, far beyond a bloated boat. I find it amusing when people say a 911 is huge when its only 5" longer.

There are specific definitions of compact cars but what is called a compact car today, usually under 180" used to be an intermediate and intermediates would be large cars.

Inflation ...

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
We had both an 88 supercharged and 91 turbo, both new and at the same time. Compared to the supercharged model, the turbo was HUGE. My wife hated the turbo because she thought it was a boat.

88 mr2 = 155"
91 mr2 = 164" Big jump

A 2014 CS = 172"
991 = 177"

When buying our Cayman, the wife considered it a huge ocean liner, far beyond a bloated boat. I find it amusing when people say a 911 is huge when its only 5" longer.

There are specific definitions of compact cars but what is called a compact car today, usually under 180" used to be an intermediate and intermediates would be large cars.

Inflation ...
Great point! The 914 is 157" long. No wonder the 981 barely fits in my garage.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I drove a Macan on Tuesday. Very carlike. One thing interesting was I put the car in Sport mode, since I normally drive a Cayman that way but the salesman put it in Sport+. Sport+ in the Macan is very similar to Sport in the Cayman. I was a bit surprised. Nevertheless, the thing did very well in the cloverleafs. It really is the SUV for people who hate SUVs. Last Winter I was 30 minutes from signing a deal on a Cayenne and couldn't do it because it was too much like driving a truck.

One thing I have been wondering about. The base Turbo is about $22K more than the base S, which is a lot for 60HP. However, the Turbo comes with a lot of standard equipment that is only optional on the S. Has anybody ever tried optioning out an S to Turbo levels to see how much the extra 60HP really costs? I have been thinking about doing that but don't want to re-invent the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
13,828 Posts
I drove a Macan on Tuesday. Very carlike. One thing interesting was I put the car in Sport mode, since I normally drive a Cayman that way but the salesman put it in Sport+. Sport+ in the Macan is very similar to Sport in the Cayman. I was a bit surprised. Nevertheless, the thing did very well in the cloverleafs. It really is the SUV for people who hate SUVs. Last Winter I was 30 minutes from signing a deal on a Cayenne and couldn't do it because it was too much like driving a truck.
That's because its a CUV, not a sports car. Despite marketing hype, its not meant for tracking. Additionally, apparantly PASM in sport mode is softer than a 911 is normal mode so you got to figure there are differences.

As to the Cayenne, it felt like a truck because it is a truck. ;)

One thing I have been wondering about. The base Turbo is about $22K more than the base S, which is a lot for 60HP. However, the Turbo comes with a lot of standard equipment that is only optional on the S. Has anybody ever tried optioning out an S to Turbo levels to see how much the extra 60HP really costs? I have been thinking about doing that but don't want to re-invent the wheel.
Well, there are things different. For example, you get the big red brakes vs the standard brakes. Think Turbo = S and S = base car in Caymanspeak. The front and rear styling is different. The side thingies are different, all cosmetic stuff. And as you said, you get stuff standard like the 18 way seats are standard on the Turbo as well as PASM.

I am 100% sure someone has figured out that if you spec the S as the Turbo is configured, I think its somewhere around $6K for the 60HP. But, you have to want those options. Try googling it. But I don't know it all off the top of my head as its been a few months since I was looking at it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am 100% sure someone has figured out that if you spec the S as the Turbo is configured, I think its somewhere around $6K for the 60HP. But, you have to want those options. Try googling it. But I don't know it all off the top of my head as its been a few months since I was looking at it.
That sounds about right from a quick review. You're right that there are a number of standard features I simply don't want. OTOH, the extra 60HP would be nice. The thing weighs about 4200#.

I drove the S and it was fine on the highway. Unless I really had to have a lot of the things that are standard on the Turbo, I probably wouldn't spend the extra money, especially since there are a couple of things I would like to have that are options for both cars.

·
Super Moderator
13,828 Posts
That sounds about right from a quick review. You're right that there are a number of standard features I simply don't want. OTOH, the extra 60HP would be nice. The thing weighs about 4200#.

I drove the S and it was fine on the highway. Unless I really had to have a lot of the things that are standard on the Turbo, I probably wouldn't spend the extra money, especially since there are a couple of things I would like to have that are options for both cars.
It appears the real answer is 7415. You knew someone had to do the math. here is some info on internal differences. It kind of makes sense because you know a Turbo S will be coming.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It appears the real answer is 7415. You knew someone had to do the math. here is some info on internal differences. It kind of makes sense because you know a Turbo S will be coming.
So it isn't just the engine that adds to the cost. It is too bad you can't unselect some standard features because there are things I sure don't want. I guess I'll have to do my own math to see what I would be paying for what I don't want!

BTW, $7400 for what could be an extra 90HP, assuming it really is 430, and a load of chassis and brake upgrades is pretty good. I remember seeing some turbo upgrades for Caymans and Acura NSXs that were way more than that without doing anything for the chassis and brakes. If I can live with some of the stuff I don't want I may go that way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We just ordered a new Macan - in Red metalic (I forget, but i think it's called Impulse) Darker than Guards Red.
Got both the infotainment, and the lux package.
PASM, but no air suspension.
Spider 20" wheels with All Seasons.
Leather package, on the base seats, so that the inserts are red, not the whole seat.
December delivery. Hopefully, no snow till then, I only have my Boxster as a daily driver right now!

·
Super Moderator
13,828 Posts
We just ordered a new Macan - in Red metalic (I forget, but i think it's called Impulse) Darker than Guards Red.
Have you seen impulse red in person, not in the configurator?

I ask because the pictures I've seen make the car almost pink, not darker than Guards Red, but pink. You are the first person I've read who has ordered that color.

See these pictures. Pix 1, Pix 2, Pix 3

You think that is darker than GR? That is why I am asking if you have seen it in person because red does not photograph well in digital images. Just trying to make sure you know the color you are really getting and not have a surprise.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts