Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! This is my first thread here. I bought a while ago my 4. Porsche, a 981 Boxster (2013 with 20000km) and compared to my Audi B8.5 (my daily drive) the steering wheel feels too thin. In addition the steering wheels PDK shifters are very unpractical (-+). This is why I wanted to swap steering wheel.

Today I fitted a Macan steering wheel & airbag and was slightly disappointed because the bottoms and back light do not work. Luckily the new shifters and horn do work.

Can anyone tell me if this can be coded/programmed or do I have to make some kind of adapters?

Here some pictures of before:

..and after:

Reactions: AndyA6

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely requires a trip to the dealer for PIWIS programming.
Well, that is what I would like to know. If it's possible to program it would make me a very happy man.

·
Registered
489 Posts
One thing to note, the new steering wheel uses a different airbag. Make sure that it is compatible with your Cayman, you don't want to find out the hard way if its not.
I imagine the computer would throw an alert or some sort. Also you can try contacting suncoastparts, as these guys sell a lot of steering wheels ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing to note, the new steering wheel uses a different airbag. Make sure that it is compatible with your Cayman, you don't want to find out the hard way if its not.
I imagine the computer would throw an alert or some sort. Also you can try contacting suncoastparts, as these guys sell a lot of steering wheels ...
OK, As you can see I have already installed the new steering wheel & airbag. The airbag warning light is not lit so it seems to be functional. The airbag cable's connector is identical too compared with the car's original.

I found a company that makes these adapters:
https://gpsadapter.us/products/stmv1

Anyone that has bought from there and can tell me if this is the solution? I would prefer if it could be coded with PIWIS etc.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I got theircadapter and it makes everything work great, no dealer visit is required. I wentvfron MF wheel to the GT Sport wheel like you and with the adapter it functions as it should. I didn't have heat so that doesn't work but everything else does. And you will get the adapter in about 4 days from Hong Kong!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got theircadapter and it makes everything work great, no dealer visit is required. I wentvfron MF wheel to the GT Sport wheel like you and with the adapter it functions as it should. I didn't have heat so that doesn't work but everything else does. And you will get the adapter in about 4 days from Hong Kong!
That sounds just great! Thanks Mitch48!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Visually it is certainly an improvement! I also imagine it feels better. Good job!. BTW I don't mind the thumb index finger buttons on the standard wheel at all. There easy to use and accessible with either right or left hand. I know, I seem to be in the minority. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I placed my order at GPS adapter. Cannot wait to get it installed so that I can use all functions again :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today the adapter arrived and I managed to fit it. Now everything works as it should! I am very impressed with this product from GPS Adapter company.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yeah, ain't it grand? I'm amazed every time I get in my car, and I LOVE the wheel. Can't wait for his BT adapter for the sport chrono knob to come out. Then my wheel will be complete.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That looks really nice!

Here's a question for the OP and the forum at large: If I were to try to do this with my Sport Design wheel, would I gain the functionality of the steering wheel control buttons, or is it likely that the connections for that don't exist behind my wheel?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If your car didn't come with MF I doubt it will work, Porsche seems to make a practice of only supplying wiring for the options spec'd from the build order. If you DO have MF then yes it will work.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You might reach out to Li Paul with an email just to confirm this, it may be possible, but unlike most car companies, Porsche doesn't supply just one wiring harness with lots of unused connections if you don't order all the options, they seem to tailor each one to the specific vehicle, which seems to be wasteful and uneconomical, but then they are the world's most profitable car company! He might know of a way to make the functions work, but I really don't think so. Never hurts to ask however.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You might reach out to Li Paul with an email just to confirm this, it may be possible, but unlike most car companies, Porsche doesn't supply just one wiring harness with lots of unused connections if you don't order all the options, they seem to tailor each one to the specific vehicle, which seems to be wasteful and uneconomical, but then they are the world's most profitable car company! He might know of a way to make the functions work, but I really don't think so. Never hurts to ask however.
Good call. I emailed Paul and apparently there is a way. If I'm understanding correctly, I would just need to use their adaptor and to purchase the appropriate code to be programed in with PIWIS...

Now I just have to find a Macan wheel for a reasonable price... I wouldn't call this an easy process, but at least it's possible - and that's a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have installed a Macan wheel & airbag, I purchased the GPSadapter...but upon getting it programmed at the dealer...they are informing me about an enabling CODE that needs to be entered. Is this something that needs to be purchased?

·
Registered
98 Posts
You need to purchase a code from Porsche (or hackers) to enable multifunction if you didn't previously have a multifunction wheel before. If you did it should be just plug and play. Having said that I was led to believe in real life most of the buttons actually work without this code, with only the diamond assignable button not functioning.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.