Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to remove the MAF from a Gen2 Cayman ('09)? I had it disconnected but couldn't get it out of the engine compartment due to clearance to various surrounding components.
Any suggestions what method is best?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
What is the best way to remove the MAF from a Gen2 Cayman ('09)? I had it disconnected but couldn't get it out of the engine compartment due to clearance to various surrounding components.
Any suggestions what method is best?
See this.
http://www.planet-9.com/attachments/987-cayman-and-boxster-service-and-tech/123401d1475953565-code-thrown-b1610-air-input-jpg

Remove #16 by loosening the hose clamps. Then loosen the clamp on the outside of the MAF housing. As you've likely noticed, the Gen 2 MAF is all one unit including the housing. The real PITA is getting it all reconnected. Careful that the seal (#13) seats correctly in the a/f housing.

BTW, I got a P1096 code the other day (I cleared it and has yet to return). But I am thinking of trying to spray the MAF cleaner from inside the air filter housing - engine off. Of course it will take a while for the cleaner to evaporate before starting the engine.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I cleaned the MAF on my 987.2 CS last weekend. Even with the hose and clamps (15, 16, 17) removed the MAF wouldn't come out. I could rotate it around easily though, so I sprayed sensor cleaner in both ends, and tipped the MAF to let it drain out. Then I put the o-ring back and seated the sensor...then reconnected 15, 16, 17.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the same thing; fully disconnected the MAF but couldn't get it out the the compartment. I wanted to clean on the bench or replace as I am getting some readings which seem just a bit off.
Is it easy to loosen motor mount to get .5" lower? That would be enough.....

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I did the same thing; fully disconnected the MAF but couldn't get it out the the compartment. I wanted to clean on the bench or replace as I am getting some readings which seem just a bit off.
Is it easy to loosen motor mount to get .5" lower? That would be enough.....
That's odd. It was about a year ago when I cleaned mine and the details are kinda fuzzy, but I think I actually lowered mine down next to the transmission and took it out from underneath. I know that I had to remove it when I installed shifter cables several years ago, so I knew there was some room in the vicinity of the left side shifter cable. My biggest issue in removal was in disconnecting the harness. I couldn't see how it was clipped and was afraid to force it (and pull a wire loose).

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
That's odd. It was about a year ago when I cleaned mine and the details are kinda fuzzy, but I think I actually lowered mine down next to the transmission and took it out from underneath. I know that I had to remove it when I installed shifter cables several years ago, so I knew there was some room in the vicinity of the left side shifter cable. My biggest issue in removal was in disconnecting the harness. I couldn't see how it was clipped and was afraid to force it (and pull a wire loose).
It never occurred to me to lower it and remove from under the car. If I need to clean it again, I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to remove the MAF again, but ended up cleaning it in without complete removal. If I need to remove it at a later date, I will try removing the throttle body as that looks reasonably easy.
There a appears to be no easy way to get it out through the bottom. I suspect the PDK (as I have) does not allow it to slide out by the transmission and the 6speed-MT does (as was described above).

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Is that a 987.2 drawing? Does not look like my 2011, which has the MAF inside the air box.
Yes, 987.2. That's the housing with the actual sensor inside. 98760616501 It is all one part. By "air box", do you mean part #16 in the diagram? It is labeled air box but I'd call it a hose. You can see the actual sensor circuitry from the there. I've told you can spray it with MAF cleaner from there. But it would get all over some other parts.

Edit: I just saw you have TPC turbo. maybe that is a different intake setup.

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S w/ TPC turbo
359 Posts
Yes, 987.2. That's the housing with the actual sensor inside. 98760616501 It is all one part. By "air box", do you mean part #16 in the diagram? It is labeled air box but I'd call it a hose. You can see the actual sensor circuitry from the there. I've told you can spray it with MAF cleaner from there. But it would get all over some other parts.

Edit: I just saw you have TPC turbo. maybe that is a different intake setup.
Yea, you are right - mine is definitely modified. Instead of the intake air hosing going to the TB, it goes straight down to the turbo. All of the components from the nox to the TB have been eliminated. Indeed, a large part of the box has been cut off and the MAF housing mounted into it.There is a hole cut in the lid for the MAF to stick out. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.