Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know magic erasers are a kind of melamine foam that acts as an abrasive and breaks off as its used.

Personally, I don't use it on any exterior or interior car surface (apologies to those who use it for the inside of windshields).

For other reasons, I was testing a magic eraser and 1000 grit sandpaper (both wet sanding by hand) on some vinyl. The magic eraser gave a rougher surface.
So I would say that reports of magic erasers being 2000, 3000 or higher grit are probably based upon significantly lighter pressures and/or shorter sanding times.

[Edit: my comments are for the plain white eraser.]

·
Registered
282 Posts
I use magic eraser on the interior shoe scuffs on the door sills-buffs the light marks right off. Now when I had a tan interior with my C6 corvette, I used it on everything tan-sometimes with distilled water when removing stains off the seat leather.

Now the eraser comes in two styles, one with just the white foam like surface, the other style has two different surfaces with the colored surface being much courser. Personally, I think the white surface is at best 3000 grit(used dry), whereas the colored surface likely 1000 wet~600 dry grit.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
melamine sponges are quite useful for some types of work while cleaning some surfaces on the interior - be careful with the pressure applied when using them.
would not advise using it on the painted interior plastic or on tint film.

they are best at cleaning the kitchen sink /bath :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.