Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to do the maintenance to my car on my own, not only because it is economical, but because I get a kick out of doing it. I can't justify paying the dealer what they want when the costs for materials is approximately $100 for an oil change and $40 for the trans/diff.

I was just wondering what the best places are in the GTA to get synthetic engine oil (0w-50) and synthetic gear oil (75w-90) for a good price. Canadian Tire has Mobil1 engine oil for $7.99 per quart. The price for Mobil1 synthetic gear oil (75w-90) is unknown as its not listed on the Canadian Tire website.

What do you guys use, where do you buy it and how much does it cost?

Thanks in advance to those that reply.
________
Side Effects From Zoloft

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The "great white north" section is truly useless LOL.

Anyway, PartSource has a sale active until the 31st of October:
Buy any sized oil in any grade and get the second same container for 50% off. Mobil1 0w40 is 7.99/L

10L for less than $70 tax in. (1L to spare)
Picked up a bunch of filters and crush washers from the Porsche dealer while I was in the states for less than $10 tax in.

Total cost of oil change = $80 taxes in.

Pfaff Porsche wants $379+tax = $430

For the cost of one oil change at the stealer, I can do 5 with $30 to spare for beer :)
________
Laxcc. dispensary

·
Registered
149 Posts
I get Mobil 1 0W40 motor oil at WalMart for about $6.50/Qt. I get Mobil Delvac 75W90 synthetic gear oil (supposedly factory fill) from one of these vendors for about $45/Gal (need 3 Qts for a transaxle change):

osCommerce

Mobil Delvac 75W-90 gear lube (1 gallon): Lüfteknic - Parts and Accessories for Porsche Vehicles

LN Engineering, the first link above, has done A LOT of R&D, and offers a lot of otherwise unobtanium upgrade parts, for our beloved 986/987 Caymans/Boxsters, so I'd send them the order to help keep 'em in business.

HTH. Dave

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I managed to get my hands on a few gallons. If anyone is interested. I have 2 gallons extra that I do not need. I will let them go for $65 CAD each with local pick up in Toronto. Thanks!
________
Live Sex

·
Registered
177 Posts
I usually get my 'stuff' from the states and go over the border to pick it up, it's pretty simple and saves a lot of cash in the end. Even if you factor in the duties it makes sense if you're close to the border.

PT

·
Registered
177 Posts
I change mine annually, I know that this is more often than recommended (not actually sure what the 'real' interval is) but it just gives peace of mind if you run your car hard at all.

PT

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't remember exactly, but the interval is ridiculously long...it was like 100k or something like that.
That's what I expected - My GTI with little over 100k has never had it touched.

Our old mini cooper on the other hand... the Transmission and engine share the same oil so you change the transmission oil with every change :)

·
Registered
155 Posts

Buy any sized oil in any grade and get the second same container for 50% off. Mobil1 0w40 is 7.99/L

Picked up a bunch of filters and crush washers from the Porsche dealer while I was in the states for less than $10 tax in.

For the cost of one oil change at the stealer, I can do 5 with $30 to spare for beer :)
Or you can drive down to the Buffalo dealership and get it done for $150. Seriously, the $70 you are saving is not worth the hassle IMO.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Or you can drive down to the Buffalo dealership and get it done for $150. Seriously, the $70 you are saving is not worth the hassle IMO.
I live in Buffalo for part of the week. I didn't know it was that cheap here. Even at $150+tax=~$170 +30 of gas = $200. 2 hours there, 1 hour for service, 2 hours back.

Even still, it takes 25 minutes for an oil change for me that needs to be done once a year. I would still rather do it myself. If the weather didn't permit, I would take it to my mechanic who charges me $10 if I bring the oil and filter.
________
Novana Residence Condo

·
Registered
177 Posts
I change my transmission fluid every year despite the lond period the dealership recommends. In fact that's what is recommended for 'my' car by the people that worked on it before I bought it. For the cost of the oil change, I don't want to risk my transmission going bang when I'm using the car hard and I do use it hard when it's out of hibernation. I also change my engine oil every 8000km (road driving) or after 5 days of 'spirited' work, I have tried it myself, it's not a huge issue to do but 'collecting' the 9 quarts of oil it pours out can end up a tad exciting, I actually let mr lube do the work for me, I supply the oil, either I or they can supply the filter and they charge me less than $30 to do the work and it's done in less than 10 mins. Saves me a lot of hassle crawling under the car on axle stands and disposing of the oil.

PT

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Great price on Mobil 1

I got an advertising flyer today from O'Reily's Auto Parts and they have Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5W-40 on sale for $20/gal. For any of you that prefer this viscosity of oil it is a good deal. I have absolutely no connection with O'Reily's whatsoever.

·
Registered
466 Posts
For those of you near Pep Boys, they're having their 5 qt, mobil 1 + Mobil1 oil filter special for 27.99. Sale changes to 29.99 April 17. Get an oil filter for another car because they don't have one for the porsche.

·
Registered
128 Posts
PT[/QUOTE]

So, I've gone to Canadian Tire and Parts Source for a Fram oil filter and both have sold the same WRONG filter to me (CH8278).
Can anyone tell me what the correct FRAM Filter is? What about the Fram air filter? It's a little difficult to find another supplier without buying south of the boarder, which won't happen till the summer.
I'm driving a 2007, CS, 3.4, 6 spd.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts