Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a Boxster S (owned a 99 base and 01 S before) and think I have ruled out an 04 S for $26,750 and am looking at 05 & 06 models. I like the 05 I found, pretty much loaded with 15K miles for $31,400 but should I wait a month or 2 or 3 and pick up an 06 S? Any differences between the years?

Thanks.

--JK

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm trying to make sense of the car choices out there and still stay within my budget. The 04 is a decent deal but I'd like to make a jump into the 05+ years and get the advantage of the changes, etc. I've searched a lot, but is the RMS and IMS failure still an issue on the 05 year cars?

--JK

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it. Looks like an 05 S with 15K miles is in my future. Think 31,400 is a fair price for a well cared for car? I am slightly tempted by a car at a dealer which out of 3 reviews 2 are negative. Anyone ever hear of D&M Motorsports in IL?

--JK

·
Registered
212 Posts
2005 3.2L has also shorter final gear ratio than 2007 3.4L giving it more quick feeling compared even if in objective testing 3.4L is faster, naturally.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I almost went to look at that SY S in Dublin. Looks to be a nice car.

I bought an 06 Boxster S with PCM, Headrest Crests, Sport Chrono, 2 years of CPO warranty, power/heated seats, Bose, CD changer, etc. for $29K with 35K miles.

I also considered an 05 S with only 25K miles but no CPO, no sport chrono but had full leather for $29.5K and passed on it - mostly due to the lack of any warranty.

I wanted to stay under 30K or would have looked at the 07 in Dublin. Looks to be a great deal.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Talk about trade-ins, Dublin Nissan had a '04 GT3 on their used car lot for a while. High miles, rollbar GT seats, harnesses and curbed wheels told its story.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I almost went to look at that SY S in Dublin. Looks to be a nice car.

I bought an 06 Boxster S with PCM, Headrest Crests, Sport Chrono, 2 years of CPO warranty, power/heated seats, Bose, CD changer, etc. for $29K with 35K miles.

I also considered an 05 S with only 25K miles but no CPO, no sport chrono but had full leather for $29.5K and passed on it - mostly due to the lack of any warranty.

I wanted to stay under 30K or would have looked at the 07 in Dublin. Looks to be a great deal.

How close are you to the Dublin dealership? I am about to call them to see if I can get a few details.

John

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Considering a Boxster S (owned a 99 base and 01 S before) and think I have ruled out an 04 S for $26,750 and am looking at 05 & 06 models. I like the 05 I found, pretty much loaded with 15K miles for $31,400 but should I wait a month or 2 or 3 and pick up an 06 S? Any differences between the years?

Thanks.

--JK
The 06 has Tire Pressure Monitor System. Maybe a passenger air bag defeat switch. No other changes, I believe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think those are upgrades for 07 not 06.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How close are you to the Dublin dealership? I am about to call them to see if I can get a few details.

John
About an hour away. I talked to them a bit via email but they were pretty firm on price. That was a month ago, so you never know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cannot guarantee if this is correct but I read on other forums (rennlist under 987) that the 2006 has an improved IMS vs 2005.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 06 sold and the 07 in CA is about 5K more than the 05 I am looking at. I can't justify $1000 more in shipping and $5,000 more for the car. 99% sure I am going with the garage kept, well cared for 05 rather than the unknown history, traded in 07 at a random GMC dealership. The 05 goes to the dealer today for the pre-purchase inspection. I do know the rear main seal was replaced in the 05 by the dealer.

--JK

·
Registered
415 Posts
SeaNile

You'll love the 05. Last April I picked up an 05 987S and absolutley love the car. I also have an extended warranty. Previously I owned a 98 986 and a 2000 986S and the 987S is the best yet imho.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 05 was dropped off at the dealership this afternoon for the 140pt inspection. If all goes well I will have it detailed then loaded into a covered trailer then shipped to me. Hoping for Jan 18 or 19th delivery to me.
--JK

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good luck with it! I am having so much fun with my new (to me) 06 987S that I think everyone needs one! How did I survive without one? :hilarious:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Talked to the dealer and the car passed everything with no issues. Should be detailed on Thursday and on the enclosed trailer for transport on Friday. Hopefully Monday Jan 18 or Tuesday it will arrive at my home. Pretty much putting it right into the garage till the weather breaks and the roads are in better condition

JK

1 - 20 of 26 Posts