Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The famous MSPEED Race Cayman body kit has now become available to everyone!

XTR Carchip Porsche Cayman X-Wide is the RS we've always wanted

We're not overly familiar with XTR Carchip, but the Berlin-based tuning company caught our eye with its "X-Wide" Porsche Cayman project. Designed as a daily-driver-turned-track-tool, the 987 S underwent a major exterior overhaul, with a detachable CFRP front splitter, fenders, side skirts, carbon fiber exterior mirrors and an adjustable rear spoiler, along with a set of three-piece, central locking 18-inch BBS RS wheels wrapped in Pirelli rubber...
XTR Carchip Porsche Cayman X-Wide is the RS we've always wanted — Autoblog

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Maybe its appropriate to drag out this wonderful, old video?
:cheers:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sweet setup, winder what they want for the body kit. Not a fan of the rear spoiler, but low the lines of the fenders and sideskirts.

It appears that the front bumper and fenders are a single part and have latches to secure it to the car. Anyone have any info on the company that makes it? You think this will be sold as a kit?

edit:found the site, not in english and no info on the car other the a tease and less info the the news release

·
On Probation
582 Posts
and how much faster is it ?

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Only for a dedicated track car IMO.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Only for a dedicated track car IMO.
Well that rear spoiler for sure, but down here in FL a dedicated track car can be your weekend street car. We have no state inspection or emissions plus since we don't get snow/ice the roads don't have major pot holes.

If we can get the airbag system for raising the front on a cayman I would drive it on the street (well also would need a decent replacment cost on the front chin as even with the lift it will get beat up over time)

If they offered it as a kit I would consider it long as it was not made of fiberglass and I would change the vents over the front fenders to be flush. And the most important thing for me to consider it is price. If its made of CF or Kevlar and not a cheap wet layup I would spend more on it as you could possibly save a few lbs even with it being a wide body.

I will probably end up with a GT2 or GT3 style front end with a chin spoiler that is cheap and easy to replace, as I don't think a reasonable widebody kit will ever be on the market.

·
CVR Rally Chair
71 Posts
What kind of shifter is in that video? It sounds sequential or the driver is super fast.
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After adding all that drag you'd need to make a visit to TPC !
Funny comment.
Maybe most Porsche people don't realize,.. but if Porsche had not threatened after the historic '07 24hr Nurburgring, to pulled all company support for any independent teams that continued to race the Cayman,.. this same Cayman chassis design would probably be THE preeminent racing chassis for all of Porsche today and for the last few years.

The Hankook/Alzen Cayman finished 4th and the MSpeed Cayman also finished very high in the 2007 24hr Nurgburgring, the Cayman's very first big race! Immediately after race, Porsche declared it would permanently withdraw any and all support to any independent team that continued to race the Cayman!

I have always believed that the Cayman chassis is the superior Porsche racing platform. In the only chance that was ever given to the Cayman by Porsche Motorsport, the Cayman proved it.

Suggesting that this racing chassis modification somehow represents a step back aerodynamically from the OEM Cayman, is certainly humorous.
:taunt:

PS, and did no one notice the beautiful, one piece CF dash?

Xtr Carchip Porsche Cayman S X Wide — Autoblog

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was drooling over it when researching the setup. It just looks a bit glossy. I rather it be a matt finish. Th one thing missing is that they kept the Dash Brow in the stock plastic matt finish so in a race car it is fine as weight is all that matters, but in a street setup I would want the brow to match the dash.

I really hope they do post some more info on it and offer the parts as I really do like the kit and a few modifcations and I would drive it on the street here in FL. The Front air bag kit would be required with this setup that is for sure and as long as you could source a cheap replacment lit who cares if it gets scraped

·
The driver formally known as Torque
895 Posts
Suggesting that this racing chassis modification somehow represents a step back aerodynamically from the OEM Cayman, is certainly humorous.
:taunt:
Well, the racing Cayman had a 3.9L 535HP engine in it, so I'd say the comment to give TPC a visit due to all the extra downforce is about right. :gossip:

Juergen-Alzen Motorsport Cayman Racecar For Sale :dance:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, the racing Cayman had a 3.9L 535HP engine in it, so I'd say the comment to give TPC a visit due to all the extra downforce is about right. :gossip:

Juergen-Alzen Motorsport Cayman Racecar For Sale :dance:
That one has a race engine, but the other from what I read was just a basic power pack setup nothing crazy. But if you are going to spend the money on setting the car up like that then I would be looking at a major engine swap or the TPC setup for sure (or even better do both)

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol,..

Well, the racing Cayman had a 3.9L 535HP engine in it, so I'd say the comment to give TPC a visit due to all the extra downforce is about right.
I will try to say this in very clear English. The engine has NOTHING to do with making this one of the most exceptional Porsche racing chassis of all time. Nothing! LOL..The cars this Cayman competed with at the Nurburgring were equally powered for that class. You do understand this?

You can put a 2.7L engine in this race Cayman chassis with 2.7 tires in it, and this car will KILL any OEM Cayman 2.7.
You can put a 3.4L in it, along with 3.4 Cayman S tires, and it will do the same to any Cayman S with the same engine and tires.
You can do the same with ANY Porsche street car, and the results would be overwhelming.
The ONLY place where there can be any possible intelligent debate, is whether this Cayman race chassis and platform are indeed superior to the 997.2 GT3R.

If you don't understand this, I suggest you spend much more time at your nearest race track. This chassis has considerably LESS 'drag' and substantially less weight than any OEM Porsche street car chassis. And the 'drag' that this race Cayman does have, is designed to actually allow the car to go much faster than any OEM street Porsche by using better downforce "drag", and air flow in much better places.
:cheers:
Porsche 997.2 GT3R

1 - 18 of 18 Posts