Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted to death but I really need some opinions on what I should go with.
Here is my situation:

2005 987 Boxster S - daily driver with occasional fun excursions - Porsche club DE/Autox days.
I want to avoid the oil issues.
I plan on getting street rated R tires - RE011's for summer use/autox
I plan on slightly lowering my suspension - eibach sports springs or similar

Is the Mantis/LN deep sump likely to provide more security?
I am ready to pull the trigger on one or the other, The deep sump is a few hundred more, but if it's felt that it's the much safer option to prevent the oiling issues then it's a no-brainer.

Thanks!
Sean

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
REO11s are not R compounds but some have seen failures on street tires so it's moot. The only current option I am considering given the evidence is an accusump.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I doubt anyone has actually done a comparison beetween the two, Mantis deep sump and X51 sump kit. I bought the X51 because I though the baffles/rubber swing checks were more important than the volume of oil in the sump, but I have no hard data. I read somewhere here the oil pick up should be changed to help avoid oil foam pick up. I think it was Casey TPC, but I could not quote it.

No hard data on my part.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
REO11s are not R compounds but some have seen failures on street tires so it's moot. The only current option I am considering given the evidence is an accusump.
The accusump looks pretty cool, but in my opinion it's just another part that can fail when you need it most rather than something simpler/integral like baffles or a deeper sump.
And your trunk ends up looking ghetto/2fast2furious rice machine!! :D
May as well stick a nitrous tank on the other side, of course in bright red.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
I have a used Mantis deep sump for sale. PM me if you are interested

·
Registered
129 Posts
To Clear something up, the MantisSport sump extension uses the baffles/rubber swing gates, also aditional to the windage tray.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been doing some research on this topic and found this thread on Rennlist. Hope you'll find this useful as well:
question about x51 oil pan and baffles - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Thanks. Yes, I had also read this. It was difficult to really ascertain whether the X51 was a worthwhile upgrade. No real science on why it's better, only opinions (interestingly from the people who had already bought one).

The other thing that I'm unsure about is whether the X51 will really only offer benefit if paired with a deep sump.

I think I'm back on the fence until TPC releases their solution, and if that doesn't provide convincing science, then an accusump or TTP kit is the way to go for me. I don't want to buy an x51 only to find that TPC's design is only compatible with the stock system - would make sense for them to design around stock for obvious reasons.
Maybe Casey could advise if their solution would be compatible with the x51 or not? That would help.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To Clear something up, the MantisSport sump extension uses the baffles/rubber swing gates, also aditional to the windage tray.:cheers:
Sorry, I am still in learning mode here, but can you explain this statement.
I thought the Mantis deep sump utilized the stock baffle/gates setup already on the car (which I've read is not as well built as the X51)?
What is "the windage"? Is that another part of the Mantis setup?

Can the Mantis Sport sump be used in conjunction with the X51 oil pan?

Thanks

Sean

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Well the Italians were blowing gen 1 engines often the added the accusump system and have not had a blown engine since in the series. It's also easily added and removed with the quickfit filter system. As far as looks, my NOS tank is carbon fiber. ;-)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Has any one recently installed the Mantis sump extension kit with the windage tray? The K-man article is for a Rev-0 kit. After several calls to Ernie, I believe the correct assembly order from the bottom up is as follows: engine oil pan, sump extension, windage tray with trimmed plastic original oil baffle attached, then to the block. Today I discovered the plastic original oil baffle needs to be trimmed to clear one of the oil pick up bolts ( the spacer lowers the pickup ). Also one tube of 5900 sealant is all that is required. The aft under pan panel needs some trimming to clear the extended sump.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
The accusump looks pretty cool, but in my opinion it's just another part that can fail when you need it most rather than something simpler/integral like baffles or a deeper sump.
And your trunk ends up looking ghetto/2fast2furious rice machine!! :D
May as well stick a nitrous tank on the other side, of course in bright red.
Accusump fits nicely in transmission tunnel; no ghetto rice required.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I installed one a few weeks ago and you are correct. The Plastic baffle needs to be trimmed to clear one of the bolts after you add the pump pickup extension. This is NOT in the instructions! Unfortunately I did not dry fit it and had to scape off all the sealant and start over.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
dskogman,
How many tubes of sealant did you need to install the kit? I am buying 2 more tubes tonite before starting the assembly.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
239 Posts
One large (3.35 oz) tube of Permatex Ultra Black was more than enough (Not quite enough for two times though). You need to go relatively quick so it does not start to skin over on you too much.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I installed a 3Qt Accusump in the tunnel as shown here
The Cayman Register has an Accusump installation thread.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Crazy question of the hour. And yes, I searched!

What about installing both? Would the x51 baffle interfere with the engine and need more than the usual surgery? Could it be attached to the first gen Mantis?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts