Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/sumpnews.jpg I have authority from Mantissport to run a group buy of their 2nd gen deep sump products.
We have official go ahead from Ken, so consider this live.
I've discussed initial discounts with Mantissport, but depending on actual orders, I'll work with him to make it a sweet deal.
The GB will be across all MY96/97 engines including 986/987/996 and 997.

The one main (justified) concern that many of us have with these types of products is literally every vendors unwillingness to back up their sales spiel with actual track oil pressure data. If you are like me, you are not willing to trust your engine to unsubstantiated claims and blind trust, there has to be summer data.
We will be providing this data so you can see why the Mantissport deep sump is going to go a long way in helping avoid the infamous oil starvation issue.

If you own a MY96/97 engine and plan on any track or DE events, this is one of the smartest investments you can make. There are many factors that can cause engine issues, but oil starvation is one of the biggest and just catastrophic. There's no silver bullet, but we can all make changes to greatly reduce this happening and the mantissport deep sump is a step in the right direction.

So who's interested??

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,
If we can get to 10 orders Mantissport is offering 20% off current pricing. Shipping will be dependent on location but it's reasonable.
You and me make 2.

I'm in. When do you think this will be up and running and shipping?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Real world track oil pressure data.
Here's Mantissport data, from Toronto Indy, dip in oil pressure is at the turn hair pin, lowest rpm 3700:
AimDataScreen.jpg

Here's more data, "g''s vs oil pressure
TO Indy Data.jpg

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
The first post needs to be modified a bit, an image and list added etc. to turn it into a group buy, I can assist with some of that.

BTW I'm interested to see Krok's other oil data, Krok have you published this anywhere? It would be interesting to see and make for a great article here, are you up for it??

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can take orders now at 10% off. If we can get another 5 then 20% off.
I'm working with Ken to post across the other forums, then we should reach 10 orders no problem.

Stay tuned.
tmp_7073-Sump Ext Kit (1)105373106.JPG

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more party PM'd me and is interested! That makes 7!
I've made posts directing to this thread in the 986/997 and 991 forums as Mantissport has a brand new option for the 9A1 DFI engines.
Another 3 people and we are good for 20%, however if we don't get to 10 I'll work with Mantissport to see if we can do a little better than 10% for 7 units.
Here's some more pics including the 9A1 part (1st image), followed by the 2L MY96/97 part.

tmp_16295-2009 & UP OIl Sump Ext.002-1292270366.jpg

tmp_16295-2L Deeper Sump Ext - Inside360907249.jpg

tmp_16295-2L Deeper Sump Ext-1388350156.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Hey Globespy,

Thanks for setting this up! I might be interested but have a couple of questions.

1) So is the discount off of $845?
2) Is this mod to help with the IMS problem or is that a separate issue?

Sorry if this has already been answered but I didn't come up with anything with a quick search.

Thanks!
-Moto

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi Moto
What year is your car?
For cars up to 2008 there are 2 options, the 1.2L ($675) or the larger 2L ($780). These are retail so ideally we are looking at 20% off these prices.
The IMS is a completely different thing, if you have a car before 2008 them or something to think about - LN engineering has a solution. This is when the intermediate shaft malfunctions and causes your engine to implode with zero notice. In all reality, it's been made a much bigger issue than perhaps it is. I had the LN retrofit done on my early 987.1 car and the original IMS was perfect (at 60K miles).
The oil starvation issue is an entirely different beast, and is much more focused on track work where the car is experiencing lateral G forces not usually seen on the road causing oil to move away from the pickup and cause starvation and inevitable engine destructions.
The deep sump offers solid protection, however if you are an accomplished race track enthusiast running r-comps and aggressive suspension, it may not save your engine. It will however offer a lot more tolerance that will suffice for the majority.
** it's important to note that many engine failures are a combined result of over revving the engine in combination with the oil issues on these engines. The sump will go a long way in avoiding a blown engine, but keep in mind that these cars are a long way from GT3's and the engine internals are simply not designed to be flogged to death regularly at the track. It's the general opinion that you will do you engine (and wallet) a huge favor by keeping revs below 6700RPM, and learning to select different gears at the expense of a few 100ths of a second lap times!
Hope that helps.

Hey Globespy,

Thanks for setting this up! I might be interested but have a couple of questions.

1) So is the discount off of $845?
2) Is this mod to help with the IMS problem or is that a separate issue?

Sorry if this has already been answered but I didn't come up with anything with a quick search.

Thanks!
-Moto

1 - 20 of 129 Posts