Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Yikes! Whist this would make short work of the job, I would be terrified of cutting too much and then having to buy a new baffle. I'm going to go slow and easy with safety glasses and my trusty dremel. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine was shipped on 11/28, but I have not yet received it. Maybe since someone received theirs today, I will to. I'm away for the weekend though, so won't know until Sunday.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine arrived on Monday. Looks like they shortened the oil pickup extension. The indy rebuilding my engine ordered one a month ago for his car and saw the difference. Wondering if that was what caused the delay. All looks good and looking forward to a safer track experience next season.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mine showed up today in a damaged shipping box. The pan itself has been dented on the baffle mating side. The baffle doesn't sit flat there as the aluminum wrinkled and has a bump on that mating surface. I emailed Mantis and awaiting advisement. Sigh...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Can you expand on the oil pickup extension being shorter than it used to be? This would seem a negative, the lower the pickup, the more chance it has to be immersed in the additional oil under the windage tray? Or am I missing something? Plan to have installed in the coming days.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Looks like I missed the deadline. Would you still be able to offer the same discount for one unit? Also, how much would shipping be to have one of these shipped to Hong Kong? USPS shipping would do. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Real world track oil pressure data.
Here's Mantissport data, from Toronto Indy, dip in oil pressure is at the turn hair pin, lowest rpm 3700:
View attachment 51398

Here's more data, "g''s vs oil pressure
View attachment 51399
I hate to be the Grinch, but the data would be a lot more useful if the RPM box had been checked. The 2 BAR number is 29.4 PSI, that may or may not be a problem depending on RPM. Same observation on the other graph.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
Fair comment. I think everyone is clear that there's no 100% fix for these engines. They're all Band-Aids to a certain extent. Some Band-Aids are however likely better than others! Time will tell if this one has better longevity than the other options out there.
PS - Try getting ANY data from LN, FVD, Bodymotion on their sump/oiling products. I tried for months and I dug down as far as I could go (FVD in Germany's actual product development team) and no cigar. We all know the data exists, the fact that nothing is shared is a huge red flag. I'll take my chances with the company who actually provided relevant data (even if not perfect) any day of the week over marketing spiel.

What pan do you use? Feel free to share your data with the group.
Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Stock. Race car raced in PCA, built by Autometrics Motorsports. We are going to Sebring at the end of the month, happy to post some oil pressure vs. RPM data, assuming that the stock system provides that to the CAN. I honestly don't know. We are still tweaking the data system, Motec C125. Oil temp also needs to be plotted, that greatly effects oil pressure when the pressure is below the regulated pressure.

Agreed that the lack of data on oiling systems and others (such as cold air intake) is really pretty funny. Buy my stuff, it's great!

Chris

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Thanks Chris!
For clarification, your car uses stock oil pan but is used as a racecar in PCA? I'll assume your car is significantly more modified than other members? Is yours a 987.1 car? Are you using other oiling mods (accusump?), if so feel free to share.
Would love to see your data and understand your cars setup.
Cheers.

PS - your car picture is upside down :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Car is a 2010, so I guess that makes it a 987.2? There are no other engine mods PCA does not allow them. I am interested to see the real data, my previous race car was an E46 M3 BMW that was dry sumped, extensive oil mods because well, they blow up!

Yes the avatar needs to be reloaded! We certainly hope the car does not get upside down!

Chris

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
As you know the DFI engines are better designed with regards to the oil starvation issue faced by MY97/97 engines - I've heard of a couple of failures that could be oil related so time will tell if Porsche truly fixed things. It's a much more robust platform for sure.

Interesting about your E46 M3. I flogged mine at the track regularly without a single mod (other than brake pads) and it was the most reliable car I've ever owned. Maybe I got a really good one.
Yes, keep your car right side up!

81 - 100 of 129 Posts