Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
Thanks for this. Seems Jeff has perhaps had issues not faced by others unless I hear more. I've reached or to Ernie at mantis regarding the bolt size, and I thank you for your reply that gives me confidence to go ahead with the install.
Can you provide the group with any tips or challenges you had during your install, all world benefit.
Your did use the 2.0L option?

Mantis sent out the wrong bolts earlier, but have fixed the problem and sent me new bolts after. Other than the bolts, the fitment couldn't be any better really. The sump was top notch quality.

How many are having install issues?
I'm very concerned seeing Jeff's experience, especially after Mantis sent new bolts to everyone?
I'm about to install mine, and would love to hear from others if they ran into such issues. I'm particularly interested in those who purchased the 2.0L option like I did.
I'm having a lot of trouble getting my head around the idea that this product would not be designed with properly sized bolts - it must have been tested extensively and thus had correct sized install hardware? Having to butcher bolts and macgyver the install isn't what I'm expecting.
I organized this GB with nothing but good intentions and to help others get a good deal on a great product.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Given my information - your install will be much smoother. You will know what to expect.

The 35mm bolts even though a smidgen longer - they work fine except for a few bolts that scared me. If your torquing feels really good, then stand pat on the 35mm. I am a bit paranoid so tried a few modified bolts.

If the 35mm length concerns you, just add a washer on the bolt. No cutting is needed for that. I wanted to use the narrow bolt heads of the 40mm - so that's why I cut mine down instead of finding a washer.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thanks for this. Seems Jeff has perhaps had issues not faced by others unless I hear more. I've reached or to Ernie at mantis regarding the bolt size, and I thank you for your reply that gives me confidence to go ahead with the install.
Can you provide the group with any tips or challenges you had during your install, all world benefit.
Your did use the 2.0L option?
I didn't install the deep sump myself. My mechanic did it. Based on what I saw, it was a very simple job. The instructions from Mantis worked fine.

Pretty much it was a matter of removing the old oil pan, trimming the baffle via trial & error a bit (the hardest part as there is no template), and then putting the thing back into place.

I got the 2.0L sump and it was fine even through bumps. My car's lowered about 12mm compared to a stock non-PASM car. The sump is very close to the rear wheels and would get lifted up with the rear wheels. The sump does hang very low (almost near if not already at the lowest part of the panels nearby), but didn't seem to be a problem with me even though my car does go through quite a few humps and bumps in town.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Reviving this thread.

Anyone here installed the 9A1 pan yet? I am doing so now and have a few questions.

Pickup extension:

Were you able to install the oil tube pickup extension without removing the pickup tube from the car?

Gasket sealing:

The factory pan is not sealed with a gasket -- it is metal to metal with a 'o-ring' like seal, with a channel cut into the block.

Block
sealant here too?
Mantis spacer
sealant
OEM oil pan

Thanks,
DJM

·
Registered
267 Posts
Reviving this thread.

Anyone here installed the 9A1 pan yet? I am doing so now and have a few questions.

Pickup extension:

Were you able to install the oil tube pickup extension without removing the pickup tube from the car?
Answered this myself: no, removing the pickup tube was the only way to attach the extension. Removing the pickup is quite difficult on the 9A1 as compared to the M97.

Still wondering about this....

Gasket sealing:

The factory pan is not sealed with a gasket -- it is metal to metal with a 'o-ring' like seal, with a channel cut into the block.

Block
sealant here too?
Mantis spacer
sealant
OEM oil pan

Thanks,
DJM

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Hello all.
Due to unforeseen circumstances I've not had the opportunity to install my 2.0L pan. Wondering how everyone is doing with theirs? Anyone install oil pressure monitoring and do some track days with data?
Cheers.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts