Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to give some quick feedback on the differences I've felt so far. I found a guy w/ a GT3 w/ manual sport seats who wanted to upgrade to a seat that would hold him better on the track.

For my own reasons, the manual sport seats were as radical as I wanted to go, so I bought his. They are leather bolstered w/ alcantara center cushions.

And they're dead comfortable and hold me much better than the manual comfort seats in my '06 CS. The seat bolsters are higher and the seatback bolsters are much more pronounced and extend up to my shoulders. I feel solidly held.

No doubt a shell would hold me much better but for what I want, these are stunning.

I'll take them to the track mid-may.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the sport seats and I think they're wonderful. Most comfortable seat of any car I've ever had. I drove straight through from Denver to S Cal and felt as if I'd driven around the block. Probably not enough lateral support for regular track use but perfect for the street.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Agree great on street but very marginal at track at least for upper run groups.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the "regular" sport seats. Mainly more side bolster, I guess. Not much padding, and that's the way I like it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Pretty simple swap? I'm looking to switch mine in the future at the local porsche dismantler. I've only sat in the new 911 turbo with the adaptive seats. definately hugged the body. Interestingly the 911 feels more cramped than the cayman.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty simple swap? I'm looking to switch mine in the future at the local porsche dismantler. I've only sat in the new 911 turbo with the adaptive seats. definately hugged the body. Interestingly the 911 feels more cramped than the cayman.
In my case I installed the manual sport seats in place of the manual comfort seats - same manual adjustments except for seatback angle, which is electric. Apparently these are the base/default seat option for GT3s.

They were plug/play - except that the new seats don't have heater elements; I hope to add those next fall.

some notes on "plug & play" -- I disconnected the battery, per This Article. at one point I had no seats in the car & needed to drive it into the garage - so it threw an airbag light / for seat weight sensors.

after the job was finished I needed my durametric to clear that light.

the above article tells you not to drive it until the job is done. there were temporary faults for PASM and PSM when reconnecting the battery - those went away w/ a little driving.

the other slightly tricky bit was swapping the seatbelt buckle from the comfort to the sport seats -- a small connector needs to be located into the main seat harness / connector. it's not rocket science.

Others have noted that specific seats are for specific wiring harnesses ... sport adaptive seats will need some custom wiring if they're to be installed into a car w/ manual seats.

mmmv,

-PM.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
The manual sport seats in the GT3 at our local dealership have such a high seat cushion bolster that I thing I would wear them down using the car as a DD. As a fun weekend car, they would be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts