Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 1200 miles on any car I own I usually flush the transmission fluid.

Dealers in NJ are discouraging me and some telling me it can't be done. They are idiots right?

I do this obviously so any break in metals are taken out.

Oil changes are comical...as high as $400!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
So after 1200 miles on any car I own I usually flush the transmission fluid.

Dealers in NJ are discouraging me and some telling me it can't be done. They are idiots right?

I do this obviously so any break in metals are taken out.

Oil changes are comical...as high as $400!

I don’t think they are idiots. While I guess it can’t hurt it seems completely unnecessary in this day and age. I have never done that on any car and have never had an issue. But, it’s your money and if it makes you feel better, go for it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like the idea of flushing fluids. But you better know exactly what type of fluid is required. BMW would not do it on my 5 speed manual X5 SUV. They stated it was a lifetime fluid. And the Mazda dealer put non-synthetic fluid in my Miata 6 speed. It became difficult to change gears, so I found the correct synthetic fluid and had a neighborhood old-school shop drain and refill the transmission for $30 (I bought and supplied the fluid). Difficult shifting was solved.

Porsche dealers may not have a lot of experience with changing the transmission fluid, so you have to be the expert

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow to think an LSD can go a lifetime with the same gear oil...I guess times have changed!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow to think an LSD can go a lifetime with the same gear oil...I guess times have changed!

On my BMW E39 the transmission fluid was lifetime. Or as my independent liked to say the lifetime of the transmission because they tended to last around 130k miles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealers said it was 60k first change...so oddly enough it won't be changed by me until then. They don't believe in break-in fluid changes...

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
This brings me full circle, regular changes, only when needed or shorter to provide better component life?

I will be taking delivery of a new 718 next year, it may be a keeper so...

Do you complete the break in and then flush or change all lubricants in an effort to give the mechanicals the best possible start and future? To a certain extent the cost when amortized over the life of the car is low, is it worth it, will it make enough of a difference?

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,668 Posts
Just follow the factory recommended maintenance schedule. Don't over think it!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts