Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, the search for the ideal exhaust continues. My problem with many of the aftermarket exhausts is that their sound tends to loose the "Porscheness". OK, Borla and tubi sound great at the track, but is that really a Porsche sound for every day driving? And the likes of SpeedArt are highly regarded within these forums but frankly sound a bit dull and woolly and not very Porschey, to me anyway. And I am loathe to spend AUD 4,000 on a PSE which is tuned for European regulations and therefore switches itself off in the speed range where one spends most time in city driving! HP gains? Desireable to some extent, but not that important. Yes, I am fussy, and I want my Porsche to sound better, but still sound like a Porsche should sound! Supersprint might be getting close, but the available sound recordings are somewhat limited - indeed we have been spoilt by the fantastic Borla, AWE and SpeedArt recordings from one of the prolific contributors to these forums.

So the I am seriously considering the Carnewal GT exhaust (Belgium) - a modified OEM exhaust that has a similar sound to PSE. I have also come across another option - see below ebay link.

Porsche 987 Boxster Cayman Sport Sound Muffler Exhaust on eBay (end time 20-Apr-10 08:11:26 BST)

So it seems Marc Sommerfeld from Germany does something similar to Gert from Belgium (Carnewal GT exhaust). But having contacted him, it seems our friend Marc is quite concerned about his products being copied, and therefore does not disclose what he actually does inside the exhaust, and does not have any sound recordings available because he does not believe sound recording can adequately replicate what you will hear in the flesh (true to some extent I suppose, but...). A quick Youtube search also reveals nothing. I am hoping that his skills might lie in engineering brilliance, if not in the area of sales and marketing prowess.

So does anyone have one of these Sommerfeld modified exhausts, or know anything of his reputation? Thanks.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
I can sell you my old gen 1 and you can modify the heck out of it if you like. Im sure a good shop that specializes in custom exhausts can do that.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Have you thought about keeping the stock exhaust and slapping on a set of aftermarket headers?
This is exactly what I did, and more, precisely because I did not want to alter the classic flat-six exhaust note and wished to avoid drone as much as possible. I kept the stock "cat-back" (or muffler) section, added catless race headers from Maxspeed Motorsports, added the EVOMS V-flow intake, removed the baffle in front of the snorkel, and flashed the DME with FVD's program (which was parametrized for my modifications). To my ears these changes keep the flat-six exhaust note in tack and also add more intake growl, but the overall result not at all objectionable in terms of sound levels. I could not be happier with the end results. :)

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Is that the same guy that used to modify 986 Boxster muffler internals? If so I remember people on PPBBS getting them about 10 years ago and later having some problems, but I don't recall now what those problems were and not sure if you can search PPBB that far back...

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Have you thought about keeping the stock exhaust and slapping on a set of aftermarket headers?
This is the mod that I have been recommending for months. I also have FabSpeed catless headers along with the stock exhaust. RS60 tips for the look as well.

It truly adds power by removing secondary cats, has zero drone, and increases the volume of the stock exhaust. Bonus - installation of headers is 2x simpler than exhaust - 60 minutes max!

You will need software flash to disable the check engine light caused by the missing cats.

Alternatively I have TechArt exhaust (sound box) for sale. It also achieves the objective you are after, though with no power gains. Maybe 1-3HP... but that is impossible to prove.

Tomasz

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm guessing that this muffler is a version or maybe a copy of what was called an LPMM (Leland Pate Modified Muffler). Leland Pate is/was a German Porsche enthusiast that modified stock mufflers for improved sound and maybe performance. There was a series of pictures on this site and on Rennlist that showed exactly what an LPMM for a 987 looked like. What he did was cut off the top of each muffler and remove the secondary cats and baffles. He then welded the top back on. Visually the muffler was stock. I've only read about these and never heard one, so I have no idea what its like from the inside or outside. I searched for the LPMM pictures here and couldn't find them - they were from 2007 I think. They might be on Rennlist, but I couldn't find them there either. The mod looks pretty straightforward, and a person good with some cutoff tools and a welder could make one. Have an extra stock muffler - they should be pretty cheap, maybe from the classifieds here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, interesting how the investigation of various solutions can take you full circle...

Capristo in quiet mode sounds to my ears quite like PSE with valves open - 'pleasantly sporty' you might say - something that the wife and neighbours will tolerate quite well I would think!

And then in open mode... well... you know how it goes.. but listening carefully you begin to hear how the various youtube-type recordings rough the sound up a little and probably don't do it justice...and there are some real and seat-of-the-pants HP gains to be had too (even for my modest little 2.7 MT).

And the pricing is getting more competitive too.

Interesting how you will see over time just about every brand of exhaust advertised in the classified section, but never a Capristo... that might be saying something.

And, if you're going to do something to a glorious beast like a Porsche, then do it properly... I really didn't think I would end up looking down this route but I must say it is getting very tempting indeed... hmmmm...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought the Agency Power system and i'm very happy with it. I think is has the "Porscheness" sound you mean. It sounds great and its not expensive at all IMO.
Thanks PR-S for sharing your views. I'm glad you're happy with your new exhaust. Though it sounds pretty good and has been 'spruked' pretty hard by some in these forums as an excellent product (to the point of raising suspicion, frankly - but I'm not talking about you here), I actually struck the APE off my list a while ago - for totally subjective reasons so I wont share them here. Anyway, I hope you keep enjoying your new mod, and thanks for your comments.

So my current line of research into Capristo continues!

Cheers.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Thanks PR-S for sharing your views. I'm glad you're happy with your new exhaust. Though it sounds pretty good and has been 'spruked' pretty hard by some in these forums as an excellent product (to the point of raising suspicion, frankly - but I'm not talking about you here), I actually struck the APE off my list a while ago - for totally subjective reasons so I wont share them here. Anyway, I hope you keep enjoying your new mod, and thanks for your comments.

So my current line of research into Capristo continues!

Cheers.
If you need info about Capristo feel free to ask me, I've had it the longest, they prototyped on my car. :) I can also put you in touch with folks who know more about the inner workings of the system than I do or who have more experience with Capristo across more model cars. I'm happy to help if I can and I thought your observation about the classifieds was an astute one!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If you need info about Capristo feel free to ask me, I've had it the longest, they prototyped on my car. :) I can also put you in touch with folks who know more about the inner workings of the system than I do or who have more experience with Capristo across more model cars. I'm happy to help if I can and I thought your observation about the classifieds was an astute one!
Thanks very much for your kind offer of assistance Ken! If I have any questions I can't find answers to here in the forums I will shoot you a message for sure - though after reading through no less than 91 threads over the weekend that popped up from the search of "supersprint" I reckon I am now getting pretty good at this!

I have spent some time researching Capristo today in the context of other models (non Porsche) and the 'quality+performance' theme seems VERY consistent through the brand regardless of what vehicle they are working with - that would seem quite rare. On the face of it, Kreissieg, with their valve system F1 exhausts might seem like a competitor to Capristo, but it seems we have very little real world data to work with for the Cayman so it's also off my list.

Nick F was kind enough to give me a prompt shipping quote associated with his catback sale at the moment, but it seems (for once) I would get a better deal if I buy locally here in Aus as the importers/distributors of such products are starting to reflect the strength of the AUD in their pricing, finally. It's still not peanuts though (for me), and hence my current approach.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Bris: Im pretty sure the Capristo will be cheaper if you just work direct with Nick and import yourself like me. - Piece of cake.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm guessing that this muffler is a version or maybe a copy of what was called an LPMM (Leland Pate Modified Muffler). Leland Pate is/was a German Porsche enthusiast that modified stock mufflers for improved sound and maybe performance. There was a series of pictures on this site and on Rennlist that showed exactly what an LPMM for a 987 looked like. What he did was cut off the top of each muffler and remove the secondary cats and baffles. He then welded the top back on. Visually the muffler was stock. I've only read about these and never heard one, so I have no idea what its like from the inside or outside. I searched for the LPMM pictures here and couldn't find them - they were from 2007 I think. They might be on Rennlist, but I couldn't find them there either. The mod looks pretty straightforward, and a person good with some cutoff tools and a welder could make one. Have an extra stock muffler - they should be pretty cheap, maybe from the classifieds here.

That would be me that had those photos as Leland and I are good buds from being stationed in Germany together. He was definitely world reknown for his LPMM's on the 993's. It was a pet project using a spare 987 muffler set i bought for cheap and we experimented. Reason you can't find the pics anymore is because I removed them from my picture host. I'm currently in another state doing some work but when i get back to my home I can dig up the files and re-host them for those interested.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What is a "Porsche sound"? Is it the grossly modified sound of the horsepower robbing mess they install on the 987 class? Or is it the raw, virgin real flat-six sound of an opened valved Capristo?

Porsche decided to put a lot of exhaust gas blockage on the 987's for who knows why (read they realized their 987's where a bit too good and might compete too much with their flagship 911 class).

If Porsche sincerely and genuinely wanted the 987's to be all they could be they would not have grossly compromised them with the **** they use for an exhaust system. They build a flat six Swiss watch engine and then add Fred Flintstone exhaust system....who do they think they're fooling????

You want a real Porsche sound? Then take the stock exhaust **** off and replace it with a descent flowing system from the headers on back.

IMHO

·
Registered
101 Posts
For me one of the best sounding aftermkt exhuast sounds for the Cayman S is from Remus. Somebody on here this forum has that system and some YouTube clips up. Unfortunately, there are no drive-by vids yet, but at idle and blipping, it sounds just gorgeous...
YMMV

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
For me one of the best sounding aftermkt exhuast sounds for the Cayman S is from Remus. Somebody on here this forum has that system and some YouTube clips up. Unfortunately, there are no drive-by vids yet, but at idle and blipping, it sounds just gorgeous...
YMMV
You sir, have definitive taste :)

PRodgers' 2.9 :

Sharkwerk's promotional video with drive-bys!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What is a "Porsche sound"? Is it the grossly modified sound of the horsepower robbing mess they install on the 987 class? Or is it the raw, virgin real flat-six sound of an opened valved Capristo?

Porsche decided to put a lot of exhaust gas blockage on the 987's for who knows why (read they realized their 987's where a bit too good and might compete too much with their flagship 911 class).

If Porsche sincerely and genuinely wanted the 987's to be all they could be they would not have grossly compromised them with the **** they use for an exhaust system. They build a flat six Swiss watch engine and then add Fred Flintstone exhaust system....who do they think they're fooling????

You want a real Porsche sound? Then take the stock exhaust **** off and replace it with a descent flowing system from the headers on back.

IMHO
Well said JT, and with quite some passion too! I was happy to have the exhaust on my old 911 modified to the hilt (and what a beautiful sound that made!) but for some reason have held back a bit on the Cayman - you will see the remnants of that in my first post in this thread! Maybe it's because 2 years ago my new Cayman was my first ever new Porsche off the showroom floor and I was worried about molesting it. But the more I research this issue, within and outside of these forums, the more I am seeing the exhaust as a 'no-brainer' mod.

I don't know if there's a right or wrong order here, but the current plan is to get the capristo catback on first, followed by headers and intake and then with ECU flash to tune it all together - who knows, all that might take me another year or so! My car is 'only' the 2.7, but if I trade up to the 3.4 gen 1 at some stage in the future (no hurry, I like my 2.7 a lot and may never feel the need to) I can take most of these bits with me to the next project.

Thanks to everyone for all your words of advice, and especially to Ken for documenting so many things about the Capristo experience, and to SGPorsche who gave me an excellent account of his 2.7 Capristo experiences via PM. I am begining to see how there is much to be unleashed.

If and when I pull the trigger on the Capristo I will provide some updates within these forums about how it all goes.:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.