Votes: 16 47.1%
  • neither, keep it the way it is.

Votes: 13 38.2%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i'm thinking of doing a wrap of either matt white or matt black on my carerra white 2010 Cayman S...

which do you think looks better?

or should I just leave it the way it is?

Do you think I should wrap my wheels black too or keep the 19 inch carerra s wheel stock?

Opinions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Do a matte finish in a different color. Matte black has been way over done. And white.. is just another white car. Maybe try a satin grey, olive or bronze color?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I saw the Vivid Turbo wrapped in matte blue recently, and with the solid color you could see seams in rather unattractive spots. I don't know if it is true of all wraps, but it seems that the film is not available in large enough sections to cover entire body panels in a single piece. I would ask any prospective supplier to define exactly where they would be seaming before committing.

Also, it seems that the films are not available to reliably wrap all tight corners. Every one I've seen thus far has cuts or voids around grille and bumper corners, etc, where the film won't stretch or shrink enough to allow it to lay flat and wrinkle-free. Again, something to clearly define with your vendor before starting. With clear film, this is not so much an issue, but with a color or appearance change, it would be very noticable.

I suppose that these wraps are reversible, which is part of their appeal, but I don't believe that you can expect the reversal process to be quick, inexpensive, or perfectly problem-free. Again, you might want to get some more info from your supplier about that aspect, as well.

I can't wait to see the photos...

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Sounds like you saw some very unprofessional work. Good companies will cover body panels rather than leave open seems, and the fabric sheets are easily large enough to cover any particular body panel.

Go see examples of that shop's work before doing an install with them. There are some very good shops out there.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I saw Alex Ovechkin's SL65 AMG black Edition wrapped in matt blacks and it looked awesome. I could only imagine that a cayman would look just as good or even better. I vote for the mat black if you are going to have your cayman wrapped.

dave-t

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
I've see photos of a black wrapped Cayman with a TechART kit in photos on the web and it certainly is very distinctive.

Depending on the condition of your roads, the wrap material is normally thinner then the clearbra stuff. I know if you do this in the New York City area, you would probably get a bunch of micro-tears on the front bumper very quickly.

Now the wheels I would definitely look into powder coating for a more durable finish. Not way would a wrap stay clean on such and installation, if it's even possible at all on a wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Don't get me wrong,.. Matte black looks great on almost any sports car. But today, so many many many people have it on every kind of car imaginable. You want to do a great matte black wrap on your Cayman, and then stop at a light next to a matte black Honda with a huge wing, and then go park next to a matte black VW Jetta, and then pass 2 more as you walk to the restaurant? You do a vinyl wrap to make your Cayman look both great and DISTINCTIVE. Right?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Get suspension (and wheels?) at the very least before you start playing with wraps - on stock cars it looks pretty darn weird.

That grey up there ^^ is the hotness.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
How about this wrap to stand out in the crowd? :hilarious:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts