Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aloha fellow motorists!

I know we cannot complain about weather here on the islands, but if you are OCD like me in keeping your Porsche clean (Basalt Black in my case!) you must have declared war on the omnipresent Windward and Mauka showers.

It seems that I cannot keep my croc clean of mauka showers for more than a few hours after extensive multi-hour detailing sessions! I live right at the line where it is "dry" on one side and "mauka wet" on the other. Often find myself speeding up the hill to make it into my garage (covered but without a garage door) before the sprinkles start lol.

I was wondering whether most of us here keep our cars on a covered garage or park on the street. Also, what do you do to keep your car clean after mauka showers? Quick wipe with detail spray? Car cover? Any recommendations for paint maintenance in this island environment?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
i've never had covered parking over the 5+ years that i've owned my car (with the exception of the week it was in the shop for the installation of the tpc turbo). my car is always exposed to the elements. i do not allow the weather to dictate when i drive (if i want to drive while its raining, i'll go for a drive). my cayman is my dd, and as such, i do not always have the luxury of not driving in the rain.

enjoy your cayman...just drive it!:burnout:

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I have a great stall at work (see below) and an open stall at home. I keep it covered as much as possible and usually wash my car every morning at work ...

I do have a bottle of waterless car wash, microfiber towels, chamois and assorted other cleaning paraphenalia in the trunk ... ;)
The morning wash is with a bucket of water ...

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Mine is a DD that is parked in a garage at home but in an open lot at work. I clean the windows each morning before heading out and wash it every 1 to 2 weeks. Peridot green is a very forgiving color.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've never had covered parking over the 5+ years that i've owned my car (with the exception of the week it was in the shop for the installation of the tpc turbo). my car is always exposed to the elements. i do not allow the weather to dictate when i drive (if i want to drive while its raining, i'll go for a drive). my cayman is my dd, and as such, i do not always have the luxury of not driving in the rain.

enjoy your cayman...just drive it!:burnout:
Mine is a dd also. Weather will never stop me from driving. It just irritates me when I spend 4 hours detailing and I come across a little "sprinkles" for 5 minutes to totally ruin the detail. That is why I carry a microfiber towel and detail spray in the trunk :cheers:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a great stall at work (see below) and an open stall at home. I keep it covered as much as possible and usually wash my car every morning at work ...

I do have a bottle of waterless car wash, microfiber towels, chamois and assorted other cleaning paraphenalia in the trunk ... ;)
Ha! a parking spot like that is almost unheard of in Hawaii. Almost like having a walking closet hehehe. I see you use a car cover. Any recommendations on type and brand?

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Ha! a parking spot like that is almost unheard of in Hawaii. Almost like having a walking closet hehehe. I see you use a car cover. Any recommendations on type and brand?
I've used the Covercraft Noah on my Cayman - I liked this paper towelish cover but it tore by the side mirror after 2 years. I switched to the Coverking Stormproof when I traded the Cayman for a Boxster. The Stormproof is great; water resistant and washable at the laundromat. However, after 3 years it has lost most of its water shedding capability.

I ordered a new Stormproof for the Carrera cab but it's so tight I think they messed up. (It looks like a cover for a 996.) So, I'm using the Boxster cover on the cab and ordered a Silverguard Plus cover from Suncoast. That one is not rated as highly as the Stormproof but we'll see.... I hope it fits.

·
Registered
445 Posts

I'd kill for a parking stall like that!

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Who wants a "new" Coverking Stormproof cover? I bought it when I picked up the Carrera but it's too tight; it appears that they sent me a cover for a 996 (the seams on the front looks like the lights on a 996). The box says CVC2SP98-PR7072 (2010-2011 Porsche 911, 912, 993, 996, 997 997 W/Motorized Retractable Wing). It cost $253 + $48 shipping. I spoke to Coverking and they said it's the right cover ... uh, it's like putting a size small girdle on a zaftig woman ... you get it on but you know it's the wrong size.

I just got a Silverguard Plus from Suncoast yesterday; it's also tight but I think that's because of my front license plate frame. At least the seams are like the cover for the Boxster.

Anyway, someone can try the cover on their car -- 993, 996, ... I'll let it go really cheap ... make me an offer I can't refuse ... it's just sitting in a box in my office....

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Who wants a "new" Coverking Stormproof cover? I bought it when I picked up the Carrera but it's too tight; it appears that they sent me a cover for a 996 (the seams on the front looks like the lights on a 996). The box says CVC2SP98-PR7072 (2010-2011 Porsche 911, 912, 993, 996, 997 997 W/Motorized Retractable Wing). It cost $253 + $48 shipping. I spoke to Coverking and they said it's the right cover ... uh, it's like putting a size small girdle on a zaftig woman ... you get it on but you know it's the wrong size.

I just got a Silverguard Plus from Suncoast yesterday; it's also tight but I think that's because of my front license plate frame. At least the seams are like the cover for the Boxster.

Anyway, someone can try the cover on their car -- 993, 996, ... I'll let it go really cheap ... make me an offer I can't refuse ... it's just sitting in a box in my office....
Did you get your cover from suncoast and do you like it? I picked up one from costco but I think I'm gonna return it. I didn't like the inside of the cover, it felt too rough. Let me know how yours works. mahalo :)

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Yes, I got the Silverguard Plus from Suncoast. I like it. You can come look at it; it's on my car every day at work.

The Coverking Stormproof I got from Pelican... you can try it ... it's just sitting in my office. I know it's for a 911 but I used my Cayman cover on my Boxster and my Boxster cover on my 911 ... they're all pretty close in size. (Every time I switched cars I bought a new cover but used the old one until it arrived... :p)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I was wondering whether most of us here keep our cars on a covered garage or park on the street. Also, what do you do to keep your car clean after mauka showers? Quick wipe with detail spray? Car cover? Any recommendations for paint maintenance in this island environment?[/QUOTE]

I have a garage vac that converts to a blower. Detailers use it too and on a polished car the water just flies off and no scratches or swirls from rubbing with a cloth!!!

By the way since we're all sharing, what kind of wheel product do you guys use to give it a showroom wet look?

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I have a great, covered stall at work (as seen above) but I keep the car covered because it's dusty from Nimitz Hwy. At home, I have an uncovered staff at my townhome complex in Kaneohe - my wife parks her Honda in the carport (because she's a homemaker). I usually wash my car daily at work or wipe it down using a waterless car wash from Griot's. Same for home as I try to keep the car covered. I don't use a tire dressing; I do keep my wheels as clean as possible with a wash and with the same detailing spray I use on the car.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I was wondering whether most of us here keep our cars on a covered garage or park on the street. Also, what do you do to keep your car clean after mauka showers? Quick wipe with detail spray? Car cover? Any recommendations for paint maintenance in this island environment?

I usually park under a roof at home or at the mall. I usually wont spray any detailer spray on the car unless its after I've washed it or if its light dust since I try to wash it once a week (try to wipe bird **** asap or it will ruin your paint).
Good idea on the garage vac, i'm gonna look for that because I was actually planning on getting a blower.

see ya on the roads:)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I usually park under a roof at home or at the mall. I usually wont spray any detailer spray on the car unless its after I've washed it or if its light dust since I try to wash it once a week (try to wipe bird **** asap or it will ruin your paint).
Good idea on the garage vac, i'm gonna look for that because I was actually planning on getting a blower.

see ya on the roads:)
:hilarious:

A leaf blower works better than a shop vac. If you use your shop vac for its real purpose, you better make sure the hose and interior of the vac is clean. If not, it'll spit out dust or small rocks at your car.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
:hilarious:

A leaf blower works better than a shop vac. If you use your shop vac for its real purpose, you better make sure the hose and interior of the vac is clean. If not, it'll spit out dust or small rocks at your car.
yes that would make sense wouldn't it :hilarious:

since it takes more time to dry the car than wash it, I gotta get a leaf blower!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts