Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined this forum and thought to add a comment about Max Speed Motor Sports in Miami: My 2015 Cayman did not come with a back-up camera so I ordered one from Max Speed. The price was good and the parts arrived neatly packed with good instructions. However, I still got confused and had to contact Nello a couple of times to help me out. He knows these systems very well and was able to point me in the right direction every time I called so I would recommend this company without hesitation....even for the novice DIY like myself!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add my question: I am an old guy and have had older Porsches but I am not familiar with the newer versions with computer controls. My 981 is a base model which I purchased used with 19k on the odometer and it came with a CPO for 2 years. This will be my last sports car and I plan on selling it prior to the expiration of the warranty! Here is my question: I thought the base model was limited to a maximum speed of about 160. I took the car onto our local highway just for a test beat and some giggles. Driving with the PDK on, it went past 165 with seemingly a ways to go as it did not sound any where near max rpm. Is this normal or might the computer have been changed relative to limiting the top speed? Just curious as I don't have any plans on checking into the top speed again! I am also joining the group of owner's who wonder why the battery needs to be kept on a CTEK as the battery if the car is not used much. The computer or other systems must stay on to draw down power. I keep the car in a garage and don't lock it, so the security system is not activated. The batteries on my older Porsches lasted just as long as any other car, but my last one was a 2nd year Boxster (which I did not keep very long) and followed that with an 81 911SC Targa, so that is an unfair comparison. However, the Honda's and Subaru batteries don't have any battery issues and have similar computer systems. Just curious. Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Porsches dont have artificial speed governors like a mustang. The manual says 165mph for the base, 175mph for the S. It will depend more on weather conditions and slope of the road. It will go until you run out of steam or hit the rev limiter.

There is mention of a sleep mode, but I can't find it in the manual. I thought I've read that to conserve battery power, you have to lock the car to truly shut down things like the pcm.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you plug the CTEK into the cigarette lighter plug, you have to lock the doors. If the doors are not locked, the car will disconnect the cigarette lighter from the battery circuit after 20 or 30 minutes.

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
98 Posts
I just joined this forum and thought to add a comment about Max Speed Motor Sports in Miami: My 2015 Cayman did not come with a back-up camera so I ordered one from Max Speed. The price was good and the parts arrived neatly packed with good instructions. However, I still got confused and had to contact Nello a couple of times to help me out. He knows these systems very well and was able to point me in the right direction every time I called so I would recommend this company without hesitation....even for the novice DIY like myself!
I decided to install the Max Speed B/U camera at the same time I had the interior disassembled to bleed the cooling system when I installed my center radiator. I had the car up on jack stands and had put the e-brake on after my initial successful test of the B/U camera. I go the double check the back up camera and it would not work. I called Nello to discuss the problem and he sent me new components to correct anything that could possibly be wrong. After reinstalling the new components it still wouldn't work and after another call I mentioned I had the car on jack stands and he asked if I had the e-brake on because the stock Porsche PCM B/U camera is not activated when the e-brake is on:unsure:. Nello even sent me a newer camera with the active parking lines after my ignorance of the e-brake cause all the problems.
He even paid for all the back and forth shipping and to say the least I am very happy with their service and support and the quality of their system.
Jim

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
98 Posts
If you plug the CTEK into the cigarette lighter plug, you have to lock the doors. If the doors are not locked, the car will disconnect the cigarette lighter from the battery circuit after 20 or 30 minutes.
I don’t know if I have a unicorn but my 2014 CS cigarette lighter does not time out with the doors unlocked. I keep a maintenance charger on with the doors unlocked and it never times out. I don’t know if it’s the build date or the entry and drive option or my settings but you might test the timeout function on your car because some must not have it.:unsure:
Jim

Reactions: bigmoguls
1 - 6 of 6 Posts