Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Jan 5, 2015 issue of Autoweek has a new MB product on the cover - a 2016 AMG GT S.

Before I get started, this thread is not an invitation for the "I hate car mags" or "my 981, 911, whatever is so much better than that new piece of ___" vitriol.

I hadn't seen or read about this new model before, but it may be old news for others... Anyway, it looks like a smaller version of the SLS coupe, but with "normally" hinged doors. It shares a modified chassis and trans with the SLS. It's market niche is supposedly the 911 and is more "GT" oriented than the fire-breathing SLS (which was Jeremy Clarkson's favorite vehicle for destroying tires).

It comes with a dry sump twin-turbo V8 in two serving sizes; 456 HP (base) & 503 (the 'S'). 93% of the structure & body is aluminum. Even with the engine in front, weight distribution is 53% to the rear. The mag drove it around San Francisco and found it to be quite civilized. They also took it to Laguna Seca and, in so many words, said it was more sporty than the present 911 model.

It's nice to have choices. Thoughts on this new product??

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Merc1.jpg Merc2.jpg Merc3.jpg Merc4.jpg

It's got an aggressive exterior look, but the interior appears a bit over-wrought to me. I'm not sure what 911 Mercedes thinks the car competes against, but my guess is pricing is going to be in Turbo territory.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Since we don't have a 911 Comparison forum, I moved the thread here.

Here are some youtube reviews that were published late last year from their press event in San Fran/Laguna Seca:

(Chris Harris' take)

(in German but funny how he stops by the Carlsen dealership)

(over one hour! German and English. Looks like they got lost in San Francisco :D)

(dutch with English subtitles)

It has some 911 styling cues in the back with a very long hood. Definitively competes with the turbo 911s and F-Type R and eventually with the GT2/3 versions.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
It's got an aggressive exterior look, but the interior appears a bit over-wrought to me. I'm not sure what 911 Mercedes thinks the car competes against, but my guess is pricing is going to be in Turbo territory.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a Porsche from the back, a Maser from the front and a Jag from the side. At least it sounds like an AMG! Shame about the gull wing doors, that was the best bit of the last one, and BMW seems to be able to do them in carbon at a very reasonable price. I'd be surprised if its a big seller as there's now the entry level Maclaren as a more exotic alternative to the Turbo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love the AMG GT-S. Great looks, the handling in the reviews I've read is supposed to be top shelf and it has a boatload of personalty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts