Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was one of the lucky early recipients of the SpeedArt exhaust group buy, and have been enjoying it for a couple of months now, including two days at Thunderhill.

I like the sound and performance, but didn't really think it was THAT loud, especially in the cabin. Until last week's DE at Laguna Seca, that is.

I saw a meatball flag at about Turn 7, but figured it was for the car ahead of me since the corner worker put it away quickly and of course the bumper wasn't dragging on the Cayman S, no leaky fluids, etc. When the car ahead didn't pit in, I decided I should go in and see what's up. 95 dB is what was up, 3 dB over the limit, which is measured on an uphill between turns 5 and 6.

Once you get a sound violation at Laguna Seca, you are required to make modifications. In my case, the modification was to upshift to 4th and not hammer it up the hill. Sound check came in at 90.5, good to go.

For the rest of the event, I had to explain to the A3 and Miata drivers why I wasn't taking the pass on the straight after Turn 5. I also had to dodge a lot of dryer pipe that others used in mostly futile efforts to direct exhaust noise away from the meters. Sears must have sold out of pipe, cuz there wa a lot of it on the track.

I got a lot of compliments on the sound of the SpeedArt, and the car sure likes to go! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Did you get the Sport or TUV version? This will be of interest to us East Coasters that run DE at Lime Rock Park. They're pretty strict on noise also.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
wow this thing has a Jekyll and Hyde personality. Mild for everyday driving but a monster at the track. Nice! I'm really looking fwd to the track now :cheers:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It could be an issue at Road Atlanta on Sunday morning. If you put short pipes with tight 90 degree bends, say a 1D which in our case would equate to a 3" CLR, and angle them down and away from the meter it may help. It also helps to do this ahead of time with proper anchors. Burns Stainless might be a good source: Network Solutions E-Commerce Web Site - 90 Degree Bends - Page 2

They offer a 3" 90 degree with a Center Line Radius of 3". I just went out to the garage and measured my FVD export tips and they are just shy of 3.5". That would require an expansion of less than 17% on the 3" pipe which would not be an issue for 304.

It won't look good but it may solve the issue for the track.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Maybe that's where the 'Art' part of the SpeedArt comes in... come to think of it, maybe that's where the 'Speed' part comes in too! :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I was one of the lucky early recipients of the SpeedArt exhaust group buy, and have been enjoying it for a couple of months now, including two days at Thunderhill.

I like the sound and performance, but didn't really think it was THAT loud, especially in the cabin. Until last week's DE at Laguna Seca, that is.

I saw a meatball flag at about Turn 7, but figured it was for the car ahead of me since the corner worker put it away quickly and of course the bumper wasn't dragging on the Cayman S, no leaky fluids, etc. When the car ahead didn't pit in, I decided I should go in and see what's up. 95 dB is what was up, 3 dB over the limit, which is measured on an uphill between turns 5 and 6.

Once you get a sound violation at Laguna Seca, you are required to make modifications. In my case, the modification was to upshift to 4th and not hammer it up the hill. Sound check came in at 90.5, good to go.

For the rest of the event, I had to explain to the A3 and Miata drivers why I wasn't taking the pass on the straight after Turn 5. I also had to dodge a lot of dryer pipe that others used in mostly futile efforts to direct exhaust noise away from the meters. Sears must have sold out of pipe, cuz there wa a lot of it on the track.

I got a lot of compliments on the sound of the SpeedArt, and the car sure likes to go! :cheers:
I am aware of the sound restrictions at some tracks, but for the life of me I can't understand the requirement at Laguna Seca. The track is in the middle of nowhere!

·
Registered
517 Posts
There are homes in the hills that surround the track that complain about track noise.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
FYI, sometimes they also have a roving sound monitoring setup to catch people who just lift between 5 and 6. Guess how I found out :eek:

Then again with all of the budget cuts that have been happening maybe they decided to cut down on the staff ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts