Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should do an ownership thread. Don't get too excited....this isn't going to be a crazy build thread that turns it into a track monster overnight. But I have kept a good thread on previous vehicles and the one on my current Tacoma is really useful when I look for a date/mileage that I did something. I lost the one on my e46 when that forum went away and same w/ some old twin turbo Z cars. So. Let's Go, Go.
Girlfriend got to name him...or her...haven't really looked, but I think it's a him :dunno: We thought this was a fun name.
I bought the car about a month ago from a member here. Drove up to RI for it and loved the color which is what really sold me. I was inches away from getting a different 981 and even considered a 718, which was hard to pass up.
I was on this forum a looong time ago when I had a detailing business that I advertised here. Sold that after a handful of years and didn't log on here since that time, really.
Like most owners, I sacrificed a couple options as opposed to waiting around for a year to find one that had everything.
This car was spec'd like this:
Exterior:Sapphire Blue Metallic
Interior:Standard Interior i.c.w. Leather Seats Black
BASECayman S w/ 6 speed Manual Transmission
42320" Carrera S Wheels
446Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
498Deletion of Model Designation
509Fire Extinguisher
583Smoking package
639Sport Chrono Package
680BOSE® Surround Sound System
840SportDesign steering wheel
AJStandard Interior i.c.w. Leather Seats, Black
N1Sapphire Blue Metallic
P04Sport Seats Plus (2-way)
P9AConvenience Package
XLFSport Exhaust System
XXRTinted Taillights

I really only wanted PTV and either sPASM or x73. Conceded ptv and agreed to just add a drop later on.

It was clean. But I did immediately notice the delaminating door panels and clearcoat that was wearing off of the headlights. I couldn't find much else wrong with it so I brought it for a PPI and aside from them noting slightly discolored brake fluid and 6 year old tires, it passed w/ flying colors.

Since I know everyone loves a rev report lol....
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Paper

Waiting for inspection:
Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

I even got the Evap Canister replaced while it was there under the TSB.

Took it home the following week. Took backroads that wound around the lakes and stopped at Treehouse brewing for a drink and some to-go's.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Sky

After some passing showers it was home and ready for a bath. Gave it a good cleaning (I still got it! lol).
Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting

Brake fluid was changed at RSW in Green Brook, NJ on 4/5 @ 21,880 miles.

As some of you saw in the other thread, I pulled the door panels off a couple weeks later and sent them down to Pedro's Garage in FL to get his permanent solution to the weak adhesives Porsche was forced to use.
Removal is a piece of cake. If you've removed interior panels before, this should take all of about 5-10 mins per side.
Blue Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Car

Still waiting on them to come back. Should be tomorrow unless UPS screws this up somehow.
But installed some AWE diffusers in the meantime to cut down on that wind buffeting...which is brutal, imo.
Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

I think that's a pretty good recap to start it off! So I'll leave this with a one more exterior/interior pic :)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Blue

Aftermarket goodies so far?

OEM GT4 shifter
LED Clear front turn signals
AWE wind diffusers

To-Do list?
I honestly don't think this car needs much. But I will be doing (at least the plan for right now) is:
Softronic Tune
Soul Street Headers...because, sound! Also drop in some heat shields.
Suspension ...I need to get rid of that wheel gap! Doesn't need to be much, but something! (if x73 isnt restocked before I pull the trigger, Pss10's or Ohlins R/T)
Wheels! I want something lighter. Apex? Titan? BBS FI-R is the reach. The first two barely qualify as lighter imo.
I also want to replace that sport design steering wheel w/ a GT4 wheel. I need to research this more though. Not sure on part #s or fitment/compatibility yet.

Eventually I'll swap out the headlight lenses, but they're honestly not bad. I'm surprised I didn't take a pic of them yet haha. But most people don't notice. Only me.

·
Administrator
1,349 Posts
This Sunday the Jersey Shore Chapter of the PCA along with BodyMotion is having a Cars and Coffee meet at the BodyMotion shop. If the weather is decent there will be an outstanding turnout with some interesting cars. 8:30AM-10:30AM, and there will be coffee and donuts.

Just sayin' in case you want to take a drive (exit 105 off the Parkway, Rt 36 to Rt 35 South, to Park Ave, to Cindy Lane. Maybe 10 minutes from Exit 105 (depends on the lights.)

I expect to be there (2009 white boxster, blue interior (also blue top, but that's likely to be down..)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This Sunday the Jersey Shore Chapter of the PCA along with BodyMotion is having a Cars and Coffee meet at the BodyMotion shop. If the weather is decent there will be an outstanding turnout with some interesting cars. 8:30AM-10:30AM, and there will be coffee and donuts.

Just sayin' in case you want to take a drive (exit 105 off the Parkway, Rt 36 to Rt 35 South, to Park Ave, to Cindy Lane. Maybe 10 minutes from Exit 105 (depends on the lights.)

I expect to be there (2009 white boxster, blue interior (also blue top, but that's likely to be down..)
Thanks Don! I might swing down. I used bodymotion years ago and actually just spoke to them this week about some stuff. I'll shoot you a message if I can make it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
21,900 miles; Got the door panels back from Pedro and installed.
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Blue
Hood Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design Vehicle door
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Also snapped a pic of the headlight's clearcoat issue that's going on. Funny, I managed to make it look worse in the pictures than it does in person lol.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Grille
Automotive lighting Blue Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Then picked up some new detail supplies. I wanted to test out a the Gyeon trim restorer. Tacoma was the test vehicle. I've never put any trim restorer on the cowl and maybe only gave the mirrors a wipe down w/ some 303 here and there. Application is straight forward. Kinda sticky stuff. Glad I wore gloves, which I normally dont do. Need to play around w/ it more. It asks to wipe down shortly after application, but doesn't give a timeframe. I'll wait a little longer the next time. Decent results. We'll see how it holds up now. The IronX is for another vehicle and the Sonax wheel cleaner is just, great stuff!
Liquid Bottle Bottle cap Solution Fluid

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Window
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

Automotive side-view mirror Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Window Automotive side-view mirror

·
Registered
564 Posts
Love me some Sonax. I just bought some Turtle wax wheel cleaner to try out.

That Q2 Trim looks good. Hopefully will last a good long time. And good call on the gloves. All the YT Detailers I see wear them and I assume we should be to…

Shawn in VA (USA)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love me some Sonax. I just bought some Turtle wax wheel cleaner to try out.

That Q2 Trim looks good. Hopefully will last a good long time. And good call on the gloves. All the YT Detailers I see wear them and I assume we should be to…

Shawn in VA (USA)
Half the fun of detailing is trying out new stuff. Will be curious to hear your thoughts on the new TW cleaner!
I can't even begin to tell you how many half used bottles of product I have. And only because I went on to try new stuff instead of using up what I already had.

Yea I need to get better about gloves and masks when working on stuff. All the years I spent w/ the detailing biz, I never wore gloves. In hindsight, probably not the best idea!... Same w/ working around the house. I tore up old carpet and subflooring last year. No mask. I think I had sinus and lung issues for about 6 months after that project lol

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almost forgot...Keeping the oem fire extinguisher out of the car and boxed up in the garage. It's a bit much for a street car. Element fire extinguisher in the glove box instead.
Vehicle Office equipment Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Registered
114 Posts
If I had a dollar for every product I tryed I would be a rich man.
My latest is Lustre from NV Car apply s like a spray wax and the shine is incredible.
Its highly hydrophonic and if you use it on your wheels you can see most of the brake dust wash of with just a garden hose.
Big thing is every car I buy gets clayed so the paint is smooth.
Love to see cars that are well cared for !!!!
Love the Sonax wheel cleaner

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hahah, same here!
I'll have to give that stuff a try when I re-up some waxes and sealants. I'm currently using Jescar Ceramic Spray Wax which applies super easy. Almost like a quick detailer. But gives killer slickness and appearance. Good durability too.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can use on all surfaces
No white residue
Can use on rubber
Not like wax where your chasing the wax build up in cracks 😱
Looks great!
One of the best advancements in wax/sealant technology is definitely the elimination of the white, waxy buildup on trim lol

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last year I picked up a GoPro to use on some of my cross country road trips. I always say I'm going to document them and share the experiences so it was a good excuse to get something I normally otherwise wouldn't. I used it about 3x on the month-long trip out to Montana and haven't used it since lol.
I kept looking at it and thinking....I need to start using this thing. Capturing some sound from this car was my next excuse :)
I mounted the GoPro on the bar behind the seats. Wind noise was horrible! Guess I need to refine that. (Thankfully, I have a close friend at GoPro, because I wouldn't be doing any this otherwise!)... I picked up their MediaMod. Kept the same placement and wind noise was substantially better, but far from gone. Sigh. Down the Rabbit hole we go. Log on to B&H and my first try is with a very basic Lavalier mic and deadcat. I ran the 3.5 jack from the mediamod and clipped the lav mic onto one of the tie-downs in the trunk.

I think wind noise is completely gone, but I do feel like I picked up a lot of road noise in exchange. Exhaust note is still there.
Here's a quick clip of how it sounds. I don't love how it captures the tone of the audio. But I'm not trying to become a videographer either, so.....Thoughts? I don't have enough cable to run it to the exterior unless I get an extension cable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds pretty good. I listened on my laptop speakers. I hear the exhaust more than the wind noise. Which is a good thing. I mount my GoPro in the same location for autox so wind noise isn't too intrusive. Last year I picked up a front tow hook with a GoPro mount. No exhaust sound at all from there but the POV is awesome. To tie it all together I'd need multiple GoPros and then edit in Premiere.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds pretty good. I listened on my laptop speakers. I hear the exhaust more than the wind noise. Which is a good thing. I mount my GoPro in the same location for autox so wind noise isn't too intrusive. Last year I picked up a front tow hook with a GoPro mount. No exhaust sound at all from there but the POV is awesome. To tie it all together I'd need multiple GoPros and then edit in Premiere.
What about doing something like the Rode Wireless Go II? Think you could run those, keep the GoPro where it is and still place the receiver where you can capture exhaust notes?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts