Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Well done ad...........run against a 911 TT and lets see.........turned similar times at Laguna as a Cayman S....if memory serves.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
AMG GTs is targeted against the 911 turbo. Cayman is not considered competition according to marketing. AMG GTs $129,000/ AMG GT $110,000. I loved the ad though it was great!

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Good ad, and striking car, although the long nose and heavy engine in front is not to my taste.

But what is really giving the 911 nightmares, at least the "lesser" versions, is the Cayman GT4.

Reactions: gfspencer

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I just saw the new Mercedes at the auto show in DC. Personally, I thought it somewhat ugly with the front seriously out of proportion to the rear, however, everyone has different taste. It simply looked large and heavy to me and I wouldn't give it a second thought as regards to a 911 but I'm sure others will find it a thing of beauty. That's what makes the world go round.

Looking forward to seeing it in person.
It certainly could be a future classic, but it's not a 911.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't like the looks but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me it looks like they took a Panamera, removed two doors and put a Mercedes grill/lights on it. I am not a fan of Mercedes styling in general, especially the AMG versions (trying too hard) and the SUVs (too boxy).

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
I like it a lot. I am looking forward to the magazine comparisons.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

I'll be honest -- I was thinking it would be ugly -- and I was right. Gross proportions. Love the ad tho.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Why would any company, trying to sell any product, put their competitor's product (as well as the legend that goes with it) in their commercial? That is an act of desperation. It places the emphasis on the competition. They lost before they started.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Why would any company, trying to sell any product, put their competitor's product (as well as the legend that goes with it) in their commercial? That is an act of desperation. It places the emphasis on the competition. They lost before they started.
Exactly. And they show the Mercedes passing the Porsche on the straight. The commercial suggests that Mercedes had no idea what the attraction of a Porsche is. They seem to think it's a muscle car.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Why would any company, trying to sell any product, put their competitor's product (as well as the legend that goes with it) in their commercial?
Because even Mercedes states that the GT is going directly at the 911.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Since the AMG GT was built to take market share from the 911, there's nothing wrong with being upfront about their intention in their ads. All they are doing is acknowledging that the 911 currently monopolizes the market they are competing for, and they are being honest about their intention. I see that as a sign of confidence and certainly not desperation.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Since the AMG GT was built to take market share from the 911, there's nothing wrong with being upfront about their intention in their ads. All they are doing is acknowledging that the 911 currently monopolizes the market they are competing for, and they are being honest about their intention. I see that as a sign of confidence and certainly not desperation.
I see it as free advertising for the competitor. Of course, Apple put Microsoft in their early desktop ads. In a way, that was desperation as their market share was miniscule. While Apple might make more profit than any company, ever, it's not from desktops. Their desktop market share remains tiny. So I'm not sure their ads made any difference in desktop market shares.

I'm not sure of any other company that provides free advertising for its competitors. I believe Nissan explicitly stated that the TT Ring times were their target for the GTR, but not in an ad. Any other ads, besides apple, that show competitors? I guess there might be some out there.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Whenever I would see ads where manufactures would compare their newest cars to BMWs I most always thought the same way you do. Save your money and buy the real deal.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Whenever I would see ads where manufactures would compare their newest cars to BMWs I most always thought the same way you do. Save your money and buy the real deal.
Exactly. And you know what the say about "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". By having an ad about "the dream car for kids", they are reinforcing the flattery. That's not an original thought, its an imitation of the real thing. By having such an ad, IMO they lost the battle before they started. If they want to succeed, they need to create their own legend, not imitate a competitor.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
i think the lower end model will go against the new Aston GT better than the 911.

but that's just my opinion..

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I see it as free advertising for the competitor. Of course, Apple put Microsoft in their early desktop ads. In a way, that was desperation as their market share was miniscule. While Apple might make more profit than any company, ever, it's not from desktops. Their desktop market share remains tiny. So I'm not sure their ads made any difference in desktop market shares.

I'm not sure of any other company that provides free advertising for its competitors. I believe Nissan explicitly stated that the TT Ring times were their target for the GTR, but not in an ad. Any other ads, besides apple, that show competitors? I guess there might be some out there.
I expect that the target audience for the MB ad is the 20 - 30 age group that currently doesn't own a Porsche, but has considered buying one for many years. So MB is suggesting that they have a car that this group should consider when it's car buying time.
Lesser-known brands and new entrants can tap into the recognition owned by the brand targeted by the comparison. When Melville, New York, ad agency The EGC Group was helping introduce a new steakhouse into a New York City market already well-populated with entrenched competitors, the company designed an ad that compared its client, Rothman’s, with the iconic Smith & Wollensky chain of steakhouses. The strategy was to latch onto this brand equity they have and invite users to experience it themselves and see which is better. This is precisely what MB hopes to do.
Comparative ads are good at communicating specific pieces of information in ways people will notice and recall later. The hope is that they generate interest, and people will remember them.
Bottom line is that before an ad is launched, there's a significant amount of marketing research that's undertaken. It's obvious that the MB ad doesn't resonate with several posters on this thread, but I doubt that current Porsche owners were the target audience.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts