Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
People have different needs in their cars. To say "mahaha a Porsche is superior" is done right ignorant.

As mentioned, a merc is a far better tool for long hauls and daily driving, but there will be no comparison on the track. If it works for you, get it.

I'm personally shopping around and am finding a Porsche is not that appealing to me anymore. The 911 and 718 drives souless and way too clinical...maybe it's because I got used to my boxster and there's nothing new. I want a car that I like and not that reviewers say I should like.

IMO, look into getting an NA V8 still offered (plus maybe MT)...my guess in 2 years they'll no longer be available. For me a corvette grand sport is looking very appealing compared to competition. The front tires are wider than a 981 rear haha.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Being a 987 owner, I feel this is the perfect thread for my 2 cents worth..... At the end of the day, the SLK is just a tractor, Might as well be driving a Hyundai.
You obviously have no experience in the new SLK350. To compare it to a tractor or Hyundai speaks volumes of your lack of knowledge.

My Cayman S is a far better track car than my SLK. But for long drives, the SLK wins hands down. It does everything that you can ask of it in regards to performance and handling on the street; yet does it in a refined and comfortable manner. It is a very easy car to drive fast, light and nimble feeling, great response from steering input, fantastic braking, all with a smooth ride; very pleasurable. The Cayman is better on the track, but the hour drive to the track on our typically unsmooth freeways pounds the suspension; and sometimes the driver too. We have less traveled mountain roads that are a pleasure to drive and the Porsche is the favorite for those as well. But too many roads are not race track smooth and that is where the SLK shines. Great handing with a compliant suspension.

I'm fortunate that I can have both.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
People have different needs in their cars. To say "mahaha a Porsche is superior" is done right ignorant.

As mentioned, a merc is a far better tool for long hauls and daily driving, but there will be no comparison on the track. If it works for you, get it.

I'm personally shopping around and am finding a Porsche is not that appealing to me anymore. The 911 and 718 drives souless and way too clinical...maybe it's because I got used to my boxster and there's nothing new. I want a car that I like and not that reviewers say I should like.

IMO, look into getting an NA V8 still offered (plus maybe MT)...my guess in 2 years they'll no longer be available. For me a corvette grand sport is looking very appealing compared to competition. The front tires are wider than a 981 rear haha.
I'm curious as to drive the new mid engined Corvette. If it has a 450hp or more V8, I think that will be a game changer in the market. Chevy could probably list them for $120 or $140,000 and sell every one of them. I heard that Chevy will keep the front engine Corvette in the line up, so they will have 2 price points for 2 similar, but very different cars, and as a result will capture a bigger market share; especially if Porsche doesn't do something exciting very soon. I think the new Porsche lineup is too focused towards doctors and lawyer types that have no interest in ever driving one on the race track.

·
Registered
734 Posts
meh... i drove an SLK350 for a day. It didn't make a big impression compared to our 981s.

The only thing I really liked about it was the heated/hot scarf(?) feature. The warm air blowing around your neck, with the top down on a cool day was pretty neat-o.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'm curious as to drive the new mid engined Corvette. If it has a 450hp or more V8, I think that will be a game changer in the market. Chevy could probably list them for $120 or $140,000 and sell every one of them. I heard that Chevy will keep the front engine Corvette in the line up, so they will have 2 price points for 2 similar, but very different cars, and as a result will capture a bigger market share; especially if Porsche doesn't do something exciting very soon. I think the new Porsche lineup is too focused towards doctors and lawyer types that have no interest in ever driving one on the race track.
I've done my research and the 'mid engine corvette' is going to be GM's project to compete with the Ford GT...the 100-200k price range. It will actually likely be branded as a Cadillac and the focus market will be the UK. I think its going to be more of a car to boost GM's image than something people will actually buy and use (kind of like the Alfa Romeo 4C).

There is so much hype about the car for the last 20 years...likely everyone last one of them will be sold day one at much higher than MSRP, which mad rich people will gladly pay.

The C7 corvette is now a matured product and lots of reliability kinks are worked out. The 'grand sport' is kind of the GTS for Porsche...a last push to milk sales prior to the next gen likely 1 year after the highest Z06 'ZR' trim comes out next year. About 2 years from now my guess is there will be a face lifted C8 and along side GM super car.

I would personally never ever buy a 'first model year,' especially from an American brand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Brian; Tractor is an engineering term for front engine vehicle, as opposed to pusher.
I have test driven the SLK350, BMW335 and VetteC6. Obviously you are laboring under the delusion, that the best sports car, can also be a luxury sedan. This never happens. A Konigsegg, though luxurious still has a tight suspension. If I wanted a luxury sedan, I would drive my wife's E350.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The SLK350 is a great car. I test drove one and appreciated the refinement. I'm not sure how you found the performance of the Cayman immensely underwhelming while being so pleased with the SLK though. We're talking an additional 27hp in a significantly heavier car. The acceleration is nearly identical in most tests and the Merc absolutely feels heavier.

Having said that, I love Mercedes. I have owned them before and would absolutely again. Build quality is top notch. Congrats on the new ride.

·
Conscience not included
578 Posts
I think I have driven every roadster in the US since 2010. I used to own a '13 SLK350 and rented a '15 E89 Z4 sdrive35is and '14 F type V8 which is perhaps a little unfair for this comparison due to the incredible motor and MSRP.

The Mercedes is mediocre in every respect. It has a little oomph but isn't very fast. It's bigger inside than a Cayman but not by much. It's more comfortable but not also not by much. It has some sports car moves but behaves like a luxury car. In short, it's a compromise that leans slightly in the wrong direction in almost every category.

Z4 is better overall than the Mercedes but is now defunct. I would pick the F type V6 S to get the blood going.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
A friend has a 2012 SLK350 and I quite like driving it. Very much a cruiser but plenty of power and comfort. She had a 2005 version before that, and as the miles accumulated there were lots of maintenance headaches. And the roof rattles when the hard roof is up got worse and worse. The 2012 is still new enough that no issues have shown up for her yet.

There are days I'd choose to drive her car over my Cayman (cruising with top down) but I know which one I prefer to own. The Porsches I've had have been extremely reliable even as they get older. Mercedes seems to have more challenges in that regard.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
A friend has a 2012 SLK350 and I quite like driving it. Very much a cruiser but plenty of power and comfort. She had a 2005 version before that, and as the miles accumulated there were lots of maintenance headaches. And the roof rattles when the hard roof is up got worse and worse. The 2012 is still new enough that no issues have shown up for her yet.

There are days I'd choose to drive her car over my Cayman (cruising with top down) but I know which one I prefer to own. The Porsches I've had have been extremely reliable even as they get older. Mercedes seems to have more challenges in that regard.
Your friend (she) probably never took care of it, the r171 (2005) SLK was the best build Mercedes at the time when Mercedes were all crap. I owned the r171 for 8 years and part of the SLKworld community for 9 years and there are rarely any issues with it. Like all cars, there will be some creaks and rattles, the top needs to be lubricate every few years for it not to rattle. My 997 rattles. All cars with high miles are maintenance headaches. Cars don't run forever without changing tires, oil, filters, belts, brake pads, etc..

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is a ridiculous comparison. The OP already has an earlier model Cayman that he likes and is keeping, You shouldn't expect a new base Cayman to be a huge luxurious upgrade for your second car. The SLK is Not a sports car... by any measure, but it is a nice, cushy, sporty looking car.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
This is a ridiculous comparison. The OP already has an earlier model Cayman that he likes and is keeping, You shouldn't expect a new base Cayman to be a huge luxurious upgrade for your second car. The SLK is Not a sports car... by any measure, but it is a nice, cushy, sporty looking car.
Not sure which SLK you drove but the r171 and r172 fits in the sports car category. It's small, two seater, two doors, sporty, and handles pretty well. It's not the best handling car but it's definitely a sports car. It's in all the sports car comparisons with the Boxster, Z, TT, etc. Mercedes knows it's market niche and made it to target that market. Just because it's no the best handling sports car doesn't make it not a sports car.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts