Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Mesh Grill Suggestion

20K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  felo001 
#1 · (Edited)
So my wife's 981 CS is at the dealer because the AC is not blowing cold air. I was told that the condensor is damaged due to road debris or rocks. (Porsche could have put those mesh grill on a as part of their design :mad::mad:). I was hoping the extended warranty from Fidelity would cover the repair but was told no since the cause is from road debris. So, it would cost $1300 (after a 15% discount). But to soften the blow, our AAA car comprehensive insurance will cover about half the cost after our initial $750 deductible.

So I am looking into mesh grill to prevent this from happening in the future and looking for suggestion. I know about the do-it-yourself $15 material from home depot, product from Custom Grill Mesh Kits for Porsche Vehicles by customcargrills.com for about $70, product from Zunsport and Rennline for north of $250. The last two are either expensive for what it is or involve removing front bumper cover.

Is there any other option I missed?

#2 ·
Both Zunsport and Rennline get good marks from those who have installed them. The Zunsports are an easy install at < 30 minutes. Rennline also appear to be quality but require removal of the front bumper (not a big deal if you're handy with tools and have a helping hand).

#4 ·
I put Zunsport on my 2014 Cayman. When I got my 2016 Cayman I did the same. I have since added the side intake grilles from them (after ingesting a dry leaf into the passenger side at one point). Easy install, never had an issue with them. They look like them came from the factory. Totally agree with the comment about customer service. They are good folks.

#7 ·
One thing - if you go the home-made route, check out how much of the area of the stuff you use is metal and how much is holes. The Zunsport product has a very open weave offering little resistance to airflow, but other stuff may not be as good.
Porsche are a bit sniffy about after-market grilles (do they think that cooling is marginal on the 981?)

#8 ·
For those with the Zunsport front grills and especially the center grill, how secure is it? I saw people commenting they have to put zip tie on the outer front grills since they are prone to pop out. If I do go to Zunsport route, I think it looks kind of weird not having the center piece installed.

#21 · (Edited)
For those with the Zunsport front grills and especially the center grill, how secure is it? I saw people commenting they have to put zip tie on the outer front grills since they are prone to pop out.
For us the only time anything popped out was in an accident and even then it was just 1 of 3 pieces on the driver side.

When you said screws that came with the grill, I hope you don't mean you have to drill holes right ? *shudder*
The screws drive into the blank plate. The center is especially secure.

#9 ·
Apart from a few complaints about finicky installation I have heard nothing but good things about Zunsport grills and the company. However, at twenty times the cost of homemade, I thought that I would try the gutter screen method first. Year and a half later, I am still happy with the homemade. It's your money.

#10 · (Edited)
I am happy with my homemade also, but I do have a question. I have a base model with the blank black plastic grill under the nose. Do some people change the black plastic out and put grill material there for the look? If so, any DIY instructions available, assuming its not a big job (meaning removing the nose or fenders)? I have looked on this forum and have not seen a discussion of this (other than posts regarding the center grill mesh on the S model, of course).

#11 ·
I am happy with my homemade also, but I do have a question. I have a base model with the blank black plastic grill under the nose. Do some people change the black plastic out and put grill material there for the look? If so, any DIY instructions available, assuming its not a big job removing the nose or fenders? I have looked on this forum and have not seen a discussion of this (other than posts regarding the center grill mesh on the S model, of course).
The S doesn't have the middle grill. Need a GTS for that. I have never thought of changing the plastic grill before.

#12 ·
I did not realize that about the S (not having the middle grill). I wonder if anybody with a Base 981 can chime in if they have ever put a mesh screen in place of the blank plate and how difficult it is to do it, any issues, etc.?

#18 ·
When you said screws that came with the grill, I hope you don't mean you have to drill holes right ? *shudder*

#15 ·
I put full Zunsport grills in, even though I have a Base model, so I have the middle grill too, it looks better IMHO. The rears and the sides were a piece of cake to fit, so was the middle front grill. I recall having to slightly re-shape/twist one of the front left sections, but very simple to fit all of them. I’d have some string or thin zip ties to help with the fitting. I’ve done over 25,000 and no issues at all.

Cheers Les

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I bought "CCG 6"x36" Small Diamond Grill Mesh Sheet - Gloss Black" from customcargrills llc off Amazon for less than $30. It was perfect for just doing the two front grill openings. Used some cardboard to make templates, and electrical tape to cover the edges as to not scratch the black surfaces in the intakes. Tied it down to the middle bar with a few black zip ties. The mesh is firm yet can also bend, so you can bend it in order to install, but it is strong enough to deflect any rocks. I'd recommend weaving the zip ties through the mesh before you get it inside the intake area.

#17 ·
Ahem, as somebody developing and producing things for Porsche cars myself... calling $300 "expensive" for custom fabricated grill inserts like zunsport's is... not right. It cost a lot to produce very low volume parts with quality required to pass the test of OCD Porsche owners... So zansport price is super deal. Porsche factory won't sell you a t-shirt for that price :)

That said I myself too OCD to use those grill inserts. They look too busy for my taste. I'd go with customcargrills's stuff, took the bumper off and installed from the back. That is very nice and very strong mesh. I've used it for my custom bumper project and it looks awesome. Of course it's a lot more work than prefabricated inserts

more pics here http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...roject-my-981s-boxster-3.html?highlight=front

#22 · (Edited)
I can't seem to find the promo code on the website but a quick google search show a 20% promo code for planet-9 members :)

#24 ·
I recently added the front and rear grills from Zunsport to my base 2014 Cayman. They are sturdy and well made. The front grills took probably took about 10 minutes to install. They are very secure. The rear grills are a little finicky, but once I figured how they should go in, it was quick. They are not inexpensive, but I am very pleased with them.

Crazy-fast shipping from the UK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.