Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a brake pad change for my track pads, and a fluid flush. While I was doing it the battery got a bit low (would start to crank but not fire the motor) because of the time I left the key in so I could turn the front wheels to get at the calipers more easily. I charged the battery a bit and fired the car up and I got this message in yellow on the dash

"Steering Support Limited Possible to Drive"

Local knowledge said that this is because one of the sensors disconnected from the computers due to low power and just drive the car for a bit and it should go away. I took it for about a 20 minute spin to warm it up and check the brakes last night, and drove it another 15 minutes to work this morning and the message is still on the dash. Searching here has turned up nothing interesting so I wonder if anyone else has seen this?

thank you!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just in case anyone hits this I took it in this morning on my way to work and got it fixed. The fix was to start the car and run it full lock to lock on the steering rack, essentially it had forgotten where the limits were, so telling it again (you hold the wheel over hard until you feel it get mushy) made the warning go away.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for the solution!

My OE battery was weak (6+ years in TX heat) and I replaced it with a Duracell Platinum from Batteries Plus. No trickle charger, just R&R - did not lose anything during the disconnect and no codes with the new battery. I did notice that my charging volts on the dash went from 14.2+ with the old battery down to ~13.6 with the new.

To clear the steering fault, I turned the wheel all the way left and held it for 2-3 seconds; light went out, all back to normal.

Tom

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks to this thread I was also able to resolve this issue.
My battery had gone low after a period of not using my 981, and I got the Limited Steering Support message. I Reconditioned my battery using a CTEK 4.3 ( I did two back to back recondition cycles ).
To make the error go away, I started the car and remained stationary. Then I turned and held the steering wheel all the way to the left until it started to go soft, waited about 3 seconds and turned to wheel to the right about 45 degrees. The error went away immediately.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just in case anyone hits this I took it in this morning on my way to work and got it fixed. The fix was to start the car and run it full lock to lock on the steering rack, essentially it had forgotten where the limits were, so telling it again (you hold the wheel over hard until you feel it get mushy) made the warning go away.
Thank you! I had the problem today and worked like a charm!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This procedure worked for me too. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Car aren't too complicated now days; are they. Ah yes they are way too complicated. Pretty soon you will need to reprogram the ECU after detailing the car.
Not kidding or hope I'm only kidding - you be the judge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts